Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no such thing as a 'meaningless' win in the NFL
(12-30-2020, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I am the one who understand "perspective" and you are the one who can't wrap your head around the fact that there is NEVER a time when regular season wins don't matter.

When we were making the playoffs all the people who claimed that regular season wins don't matter were stupid.

Except I never stated that.

Keep on pushing drama.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 02:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Except I never stated that.

Keep on pushing drama.

And I was not just talking about you.  There were lots of members here claimed that regular season wins were meaningless. 

Keep dodging the facts.
Reply/Quote
Players and Coaches will want to win games.

As a fan however once you are out of the playoff race... you should be rooting like hell to lose.

Bengals winning 2-3 to end the season and bumping us from the 3rd to 10th pick would be a travesty. Sure the draft is a crapshoot but I'll take my odds on one of the consensus top 5 players in CFF than taking a possible risk at 10.

I know winning makes everyone here feel giddy on Sunday afternoon and midway into the next week. However long term it usually does more damage than good.

Not like the Bengals have drafted well recently... might as well take our shots at cant miss prospects.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  You can't "tank" a game by not having players give 100% or not calling plays to try and win.  Once the game starts you have to try as hard as possible to win.

The only way to "tank" in the NFL is to hold key players out of games.

The real way to tank is to trade away your veteran when you're approaching a rebuild. You should never be in a position of rebuilding with only 7 draft picks. That should be a fireable offense for any GM.

Plus in any season where you aren't contending any impending free agents who you aren't re-signing should be on the trade block. The failure to do this has extended the rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:11 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Every win in the NFL has meaning.

A win determines a team's record.
A win determines if a team makes the playoffs or not.
A win determines a team's draft position.
A win can determine if a team retains it's coaching staff and certain players.

There are more, but just because the win may have a supposed negative effect on the team doesn't make it meaningless.

One other point:  NFL teams that go on the road after playing on Monday Night are (straight up) on the losing end approximately 75% of the time.  Say what you want about the Texan's defense...going on the road and beating DeShawn Watson with WJIII leaving the game early with an injury is nothing short of impressive. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote