Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is precedence for recovering after a bad start
So we started the year 0-3. There is hope.

The Kansas City Chiefs started the 2015 season 1-5 and looked terrible...they then won the next 10 games to finish 11-5.

In 2016 they went 12-4.

This year they are undefeated.

Yes - The same personnel that started 1-5 in 2015 has went 27-4 since during the regular season.

I was listening to a radio show last night and Stephon Tuitt of the Steelers was talking and he said that the coaches call the plays and the players have to be in the right spots and make the plays. But the play calls aren't as critical as what the players do.

He said that sometimes it's the smallest detail that can make a player go from bad to good. You just see it click for guys sometimes and it's usually a small nuance that they start to grasp.

I thought that was interesting.

We're built kind of similar to the Chiefs. We have a great defense. On offense, their line is better, but Dalton and Smith are comparable. We have a better WR in AJ Green than they have. Theoretically John Ross should give us what Hill gives them. Our RB's are comparable.

There's no reason that couldn't be us!
Reply/Quote
Mahvin lewis is da reason it can't be us. Trust we will not be prepared for TNF, MNF, playoff games.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we started the year 0-3. There is hope.

The Kansas City Chiefs started the 2015 season 1-5 and looked terrible...they then won the next 10 games to finish 11-5.

In 2016 they went 12-4.

Yes - The same personnel that started 1-5 in 2015 has went 27-4 since during the regular season.

I was listening to a radio show last night and Stephon Tuitt of the Steelers was talking and he said that the coaches call the plays and the players have to be in the right spots and make the plays. But the play calls aren't as critical as what the players do.

He said that sometimes it's the smallest detail that can make a player go from bad to good. You just see it click for guys sometimes and it's usually a small nuance that they start to grasp.

We're built kind of similar to the Chiefs. We have a great defense. On offense, their line is better, but Dalton and Smith are comparable. We have a better WR in AJ Green than they have. Theoretically John Ross should give us what Hill gives them. Our RB's are comparable.

Agreed, but we MUST get the run game on track.  While the line is improving week to week, and the OC is doing them some favors, they have a long way to go.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed, but we MUST get the run game on track.  While the line is improving week to week, and the OC is doing them some favors, they have a long way to go.

The run game has been the albatross around this teams neck for a while.

Hmm...maybe if we believed in the importance of the C and G positions we'd run better?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The run game has been the albatross around this teams neck for a while.

Hmm...maybe if we believed in the importance of the C and G positions we'd run better?

Ya reckon?  You can't keep consistently getting beat at the point of attack (up the gut), and run the ball well.  It's also a recipe for disaster with an inverted pocket, and a QB that has notoriously struggled with a bad pocket.  Dalton had moved past that in 2015, and some of 2016, but regressed on into '16 and the beginning of '17.  He made some moves in the pocket against Buffalo, and has improved slightly over the last couple weeks.  Hopefully that trend continues.  Moving forward, we MUST address the interior o-line.

Reply/Quote
Bodine grades out so bad that it's hard to imagine a rookie not being better than him next year.
Reply/Quote
You can’t compare a Marv coaches team to a Reid coached team. Marv is 5-8-1 coming off a bye, Reid is 16-2 coming off a bye. The problem in Cincy isn’t personnel it’s coaching.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we started the year 0-3. There is hope.

In 2016 they went 12-4.

That would be something to see. 

Here is hoping it comes to fruition. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Their is also similarities to both Reid and Lewis having poor in game clock management skills.
Reply/Quote
Lewis and Reid are very similar in other ways too mainly regarding the playoffs. Of course Reid got his team to championship games but never further.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 12:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lewis and Reid are very similar in other ways too mainly regarding the playoffs. Of course Reid got his team to championship games but never further.

Interesting to me that the Chiefs traded UP to get QB Patrick Mahomes last Draft.

They gave a 1st and 3rd in 2017 plus a 1st round pick in 2018.

I have harped on us taking Deshaun Watson (without need for a trade up) as a Hindsight move instead of taking John Ross and taken some heat for it, however, the Chiefs move lit a Fire under Alex Smith while giving them a Young QB in place on their roster for the future.

The Bengals could have just picked Watson. No expensive Trade up. Fire lit under Dalton while Watson develops.

My main point with all of this is that highly paid GMs make the mistake of ignoring the QB Market for multiple years once they have a starter.
This allows other teams like Houston to get a Franchise QB (Deshaun Watson) which just made the AFC tougher. We even lost to Watson.

The Chiefs paid up for Mahomes because they kept an eye on the QB market even with Alex Smith in place.

Andy Reid likely saw Smith has having limitations that could prevent a Superbowl run so he traded up for Mahomes.

Is Dalton limited in his ability for a Super bowl run or does he need a similar Fire lit with Top Notch QB competition added to the Bengals when a chance arises early in a Draft?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:29 PM)depthchart Wrote: Interesting to me that the Chiefs traded UP to get QB Patrick Mahomes last Draft.

They gave a 1st and 3rd in 2017 plus a 1st round pick in 2018.

I have harped on us taking Deshaun Watson (without need for a trade up) as a Hindsight move instead of taking John Ross and taken some heat for it, however, the Chiefs move lit a Fire under Alex Smith while giving them a Young QB in place on their roster for the future.

The Bengals could have just picked Watson. No expensive Trade up. Fire lit under Dalton while Watson develops.

My main point with all of this is that highly paid GMs make the mistake of ignoring the QB Market for multiple years once they have a starter.
This allows other teams like Houston to get a Franchise QB (Deshaun Watson) which just made the AFC tougher. We even lost to Watson.

The Chiefs paid up for Mahomes because they kept an eye on the QB market even with Alex Smith in place.

Andy Reid likely saw Smith has having limitations that could prevent a Superbowl run so he traded up for Mahomes.

Is Dalton limited in his ability for a Super bowl run or does he need a similar Fire lit with Top Notch QB competition added to the Bengals when a chance arises early in a Draft?

Hell, I don't understand why you got any heat over it.  I would have taken Watson.  A few years ago, I was for drafting Bridgewater (luckily we didn't, who knew?).  I think KC realizes Smith is getting older, not concerned with his performance.  I think Dalton CAN do it, the question is will he?  He's still young, but you can never prepare enough for the future, or for an inopportune injury.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 11:59 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: You can’t compare a Marv coaches team to a Reid coached team. Marv is 5-8-1 coming off a bye, Reid is 16-2 coming off a bye. The problem in Cindy isn’t personnel it’s coaching.

This chick seems to be really popular...but not in a good way.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, I don't understand why you got any heat over it.  I would have taken Watson.  A few years ago, I was for drafting Bridgewater (luckily we didn't, who knew?).  I think KC realizes Smith is getting older, not concerned with his performance.  I think Dalton CAN do it, the question is will he?  He's still young, but you can never prepare enough for the future, or for an inopportune injury.

The big question is: Can ANY QB take this team to a Super Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big question is: Can ANY QB take this team to a Super Bowl?

Fair point! :andy:

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big question is: Can ANY QB take this team to a Super Bowl?

Joe Montana    Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, I don't understand why you got any heat over it.  I would have taken Watson.  A few years ago, I was for drafting Bridgewater (luckily we didn't, who knew?).  I think KC realizes Smith is getting older, not concerned with his performance.  I think Dalton CAN do it, the question is will he?  He's still young, but you can never prepare enough for the future, or for an inopportune injury.

Especially since it is hard to Time exactly when you will be needing to Draft a QB with having the right one available at that exact right moment you need one at the Draft position you hold that given year.

A GM should always be evaluating the QB market since it may be only once every 3 Drafts that one you really like is sitting their when you pick say in round 1.

Could have just taken Watson and went on Drafting after that.

Instead, teams find themselves in a position to have to make an Expensive Trade Up because circumstances have Forced a QB move early in a Draft.

Take the Cards as they come by being Open to the idea of taking a QB high even with a Starter in place. Be picky when doing it but if you see an Ace or a King sitting their at the QB position don't pass it up for a wide receiver that is a Jack. Letting another NFL team fix their QB problem and then compete against you like Houston is now.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: Especially since it is hard to Time exactly when you will be needing to Draft a QB with having the right one available at that exact right moment you need one at the Draft position you hold that given year.

A GM should always be evaluating the QB market since it may be only once every 3 Drafts that one you really like is sitting their when you pick say in round 1.

Could have just taken Watson and went on Drafting after that.

Instead, teams find themselves in a position to have to make an Expensive Trade Up because circumstances have Forced a QB move early in a Draft.

Take the Cards as they come by being Open to the idea of taking a QB high even with a Starter in place. Be picky when doing it but if you see an Ace or a King sitting their at the QB position don't pass it up for a wide receiver that is a Jack. Letting another NFL team fix their QB problem and then compete against you like Houston is now.

It's hard to evaluate Dalton. We've never had a good Center since he's been here.

When I did the Rank Dalton thread...a lot of people said he's a Top 12-16 QB...then when asked to rank QB's better than him they'd list 8. So does that mean he's a Top 10 QB?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Bodine grades out so bad that it's hard to imagine a rookie not being better than him next year.

There are a nice handful of better centers hitting FA this coming offseason and always 2-3 centers in each draft that should be better than Bodine. It should be rather easy to find an improvement. Whether they actually try is another issue.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to evaluate Dalton. We've never had a good Center since he's been here.

When I did the Rank Dalton thread...a lot of people said he's a Top 12-16 QB...then when asked to rank QB's better than him they'd list 8. So does that mean he's a Top 10 QB?

I'm not down on Dalton, though it may seem so.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with the Ravens and Dalton is much better than Dilfer was.

I would say that Dalton is in the top 1/3 of the League and showed MVP potential when surrounded by talent.

One more Draft with an O-line focus plus some growth signs from at least one of either Fisher of Ogbuyei could have this team back to 2015 form. They should keep Andre Smith around next year as insurance also in my opinion. He has been playing both right & left tackle, can play guard & who knows, maybe he could hike the ball at Center. LOL... 

Defense is solid, plenty of offensive weapons compared to many teams, Dalton could do it if Dilfer & Flacco did. Just need O-line shored up and Lazor to pan out to have a chance at a return to 2015 form.

Had Green Bay on the ropes a few weeks back in Green Bay which shows potential.

They gotta stop "almost" being good enough and start finishing teams off beginning with Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote