Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
There's no such thing as a...
fan jinx.

Like most of you, in the past, there were certain things i would do and not do. Whether it was during the week--or especially on game day--i followed certain routines, did and didn't do certain things based on circumstances, and generally felt that when i did these things it made some kind of difference. Even if i didn't really believe it made a difference, it made me feel more comfortable.

So this year, i haven't done any of that. If something comes up and i miss the opening kickoff (used to be a BIG no-no), like a couple weeks ago when the wife asked me "what's for lunch?" at 12:55, i just went to Kroger and got some skyline chili, tostitos and cheese and made some homemade nachos. Or my past 'routine' where i would follow a specific order of events on Sunday mornings; no more. Whether things are going good or bad, it doesn't matter. I don't sit with my feet or toes or hands in any particular way in order to not break the good or bad streak. I don't wear a particular article of clothing. I don't have the remote in a specific place depending on the quarter. This year i just decided to stay positive and more than anything, enjoy the journey, play to play. Every other football game i watch, i enjoy the back and forth and the drama and when the game is over i'm like, "wow, that was a great game". So i decided to watch Bengals games the same way. Keep the faith, enjoy the ride and not get all stressed out. Much more enjoyable.

Now, i also know that most people do these things tongue-in-cheek and realize they don't really have an effect on the game, but there are PLENTY of people that do think it really makes a difference.

It doesn't.

One more thing. There is no such thing as a Bo Jackson curse, or any kind of curse for that matter. Players play and they win or lose based on their performance. Cheer your face off and enjoy this ride. They don't come along very often.

ThumbsUp

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I call bullsht. I beleive in the butterfly effect and I refuse to wash my gameday undies until we lose.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 11:47 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  
I enjoy the back and forth and the drama and when the game is over I'm like, "wow, that was a great game". So I decided to watch Bengals games the same way. Keep the faith, enjoy the ride and not get all stressed out. Much more enjoyable.

This is what I've been doing all year.  That's why we're doing so well. 

Everyone should join rfaulk34 and me, that way we can make it to 19 - 0.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 11:49 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I call bullsht. I beleive in the butterfly effect and I refuse to wash my gameday undies until we lose.

Haha!!!  I know what I do doesn't really have an effect on how the Bengals do, but it is fun to play along with some of that stuff.  I've worn the same black Bengals t-shirt and #75 Still jersey for every game so far this year and will keep doing so until they lose, if they do.  Then I guess I'll have to figure something else out or just not worry about it.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
So the dead, rotting horse carcass I have hung over my bed at night to ward off Bengal losses is just a big, smelly maggot infested beast having nothing to do with whether they win or lose? My girlfriend will be relieved that we can have sex without the flies buzzing around.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I usually just wear my Leon Hall jersey on game day but got a new Bengals mug this year so that's now part of my symbolic gesture to appease the football gods. I think with my new mug I've just picked up were rfaulk is slacking. LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 12:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: So the dead, rotting horse carcass I have hung over my bed at night to ward off Bengal losses is just a big, smelly maggot infested beast having nothing to do with whether they win or lose? My girlfriend will be relieved that we can have sex without the flies buzzing around.

Whether you tell your girlfriend or not is up to you.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 11:47 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: fan jinx.

Like most of you, in the past, there were certain things i would do and not do. Whether it was during the week--or especially on game day--i followed certain routines, did and didn't do certain things based on circumstances, and generally felt that when i did these things it made some kind of difference. Even if i didn't really believe it made a difference, it made me feel more comfortable.

So this year, i haven't done any of that. If something comes up and i miss the opening kickoff (used to be a BIG no-no), like a couple weeks ago when the wife asked me "what's for lunch?" at 12:55, i just went to Kroger and got some skyline chili, tostitos and cheese and made some homemade nachos. Or my past 'routine' where i would follow a specific order of events on Sunday mornings; no more. Whether things are going good or bad, it doesn't matter. I don't sit with my feet or toes or hands in any particular way in order to not break the good or bad streak. I don't wear a particular article of clothing. I don't have the remote in a specific place depending on the quarter. This year i just decided to stay positive and more than anything, enjoy the journey, play to play. Every other football game i watch, i enjoy the back and forth and the drama and when the game is over i'm like, "wow, that was a great game". So i decided to watch Bengals games the same way. Keep the faith, enjoy the ride and not get all stressed out. Much more enjoyable.

Now, i also know that most people do these things tongue-in-cheek and realize they don't really have an effect on the game, but there are PLENTY of people that do think it really makes a difference.

It doesn't.

One more thing. There is no such thing as a Bo Jackson curse, or any kind of curse for that matter. Players play and they win or lose based on their performance. Cheer your face off and enjoy this ride. They don't come along very often.

ThumbsUp

I follow the superstitions for fun, but really if wearing my lucky hat is the reason the Bengals win, then I guess they don't have to gameplan or practice.   
Reply/Quote
I don't know about anyone else but I must have beer for every Bengals game. I think it's more tradition than superstition though...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It's all fine and dandy when your 8-0, now had we lost because you left to pick up lunch, you'd be singing a different tune. Good thing the rest of us are keeping to our superstitions and pulling all the fan weight since Faulk seems to be dropping the ball!!!! Lol
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 12:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: So the dead, rotting horse carcass I have hung over my bed at night to ward off Bengal losses is just a big, smelly maggot infested beast having nothing to do with whether they win or lose? My girlfriend will be relieved that we can have sex without the flies buzzing around.

You SURE that will make them leave? Confused

LMAO  I tease....I tease..... Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 11:49 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I call bullsht. I beleive in the butterfly effect and I refuse to wash my gameday undies until we lose.

Been wearing Chad Johnson and TJ jerseys all year, won't be stopping anytime soon.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 03:49 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You SURE that will make them leave? Confused

LMAO  I tease....I tease..... Wink
I admit that I walked into any insult that comes my way there, but I can take it. I was in the Navy and served powdered eggs in chow line for your freedom. If I could discourage the Russians from invading with powdered eggs I can handle a few insults.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

No. The horse carcass thing is real.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 02:48 PM)Night Wrote: It's all fine and dandy when your 8-0, now had we lost because you left to pick up lunch, you'd be singing a different tune. Good thing the rest of us are keeping to our superstitions and pulling all the fan weight since Faulk seems to be dropping the ball!!!! Lol

But if no one knew until now, how would you know you were picking up the slack? And did you need to do more? And if so, how much more is enough? 

Shocked

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 04:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: I admit that I walked into any insult that comes my way there, but I can take it.  I was in the Navy and served powdered eggs in chow line for your freedom. If I could discourage the Russians from invading with powdered eggs I can handle a few insults.

[Image: tumblr_m43ez8ohHS1qlilguo1_500.gif]

.....it's a light hearted thread man....had I left myself open like that and gotten called out.....I'd be laughing with ya ThumbsUp

What can I say....I've worked in some facet of construction all of my adult life....you know how many smartasses there are in this biz? LOL   It just comes natural....

That said ,we DO appreciate your efforts protecting our freedoms.  ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 04:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But if no one knew until now, how would you know you were picking up the slack? And did you need to do more? And if so, how much more is enough? 

Shocked

Assumption through elimination, it's the whole dead cat in a bad theory, you don't know until you open the box whether there is or isn't a cat in the box. 

Once we lose, there will be a fan witch hunt!!!!!!  Which fan tempted their superstition? Heads will roll, you are now safe, lol
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 05:31 PM)Night Wrote: Assumption through elimination, it's the whole dead cat in a bad theory, you don't know until you open the box whether there is or isn't a cat in the box. 

Once we lose, there will be a fan witch hunt!!!!!!  Which fan tempted their superstition? Heads will roll, you are now safe, lol

lol. Glad i got InB4.

Reply/Quote
Idk...coltsfan is pretty good at jinxing teams every time he makes a prediction in smack talk.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 05:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: Idk...coltsfan is pretty good at jinxing teams every time he makes a prediction in smack talk.

I am unable to dispute this.  Sad

Reply/Quote