Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
There's no such thing as a...
I believe in the sort of superstition where it's only effective if you do something DIFFERENT each week. For instance, if I wear my Corey Dillon jersey and the Bengals win I feel like I have to wear something new next week or the Bengals will lose because I used up all the "luck" on that one particular jersey.

Just kidding, I don't believe in any of this crap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 11:47 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: fan jinx.

Like most of you, in the past, there were certain things i would do and not do. Whether it was during the week--or especially on game day--i followed certain routines, did and didn't do certain things based on circumstances, and generally felt that when i did these things it made some kind of difference. Even if i didn't really believe it made a difference, it made me feel more comfortable.

So this year, i haven't done any of that. If something comes up and i miss the opening kickoff (used to be a BIG no-no), like a couple weeks ago when the wife asked me "what's for lunch?" at 12:55, i just went to Kroger and got some skyline chili, tostitos and cheese and made some homemade nachos. Or my past 'routine' where i would follow a specific order of events on Sunday mornings; no more. Whether things are going good or bad, it doesn't matter. I don't sit with my feet or toes or hands in any particular way in order to not break the good or bad streak. I don't wear a particular article of clothing. I don't have the remote in a specific place depending on the quarter. This year i just decided to stay positive and more than anything, enjoy the journey, play to play. Every other football game i watch, i enjoy the back and forth and the drama and when the game is over i'm like, "wow, that was a great game". So i decided to watch Bengals games the same way. Keep the faith, enjoy the ride and not get all stressed out. Much more enjoyable.

Now, i also know that most people do these things tongue-in-cheek and realize they don't really have an effect on the game, but there are PLENTY of people that do think it really makes a difference.

It doesn't.

One more thing. There is no such thing as a Bo Jackson curse, or any kind of curse for that matter. Players play and they win or lose based on their performance. Cheer your face off and enjoy this ride. They don't come along very often.

ThumbsUp

Just keep doing what you are doing. It is helping us win games! Don't start believing in jinxes whatever you do!
Reply/Quote

Like most of you, in the past, there were certain things i would do and not do. Whether it was during the week--or especially on game day--i followed certain routines, did and didn't do certain things based on circumstances, and generally felt that when i did these things it made some kind of difference. Even if i didn't really believe it made a difference, it made me feel more comfortable.

So this year, i haven't done any of that. If something comes up and i miss the opening kickoff (used to be a BIG no-no), like a couple weeks ago when the wife asked me "what's for lunch?" at 12:55, i just went to Kroger and got some skyline chili, tostitos and cheese and made some homemade nachos. Or my past 'routine' where i would follow a specific order of events on Sunday mornings; no more. Whether things are going good or bad, it doesn't matter. I don't sit with my feet or toes or hands in any particular way in order to not break the good or bad streak. I don't wear a particular article of clothing. I don't have the remote in a specific place depending on the quarter. This year i just decided to stay positive and more than anything, enjoy the journey, play to play. Every other football game i watch, i enjoy the back and forth and the drama and when the game is over i'm like, "wow, that was a great game". So i decided to watch Bengals games the same way. Keep the faith, enjoy the ride and not get all stressed out. Much more enjoyable.

Now, i also know that most people do these things tongue-in-cheek and realize they don't really have an effect on the game, but there are PLENTY of people that do think it really makes a difference.

It doesn't.

One more thing. There is no such thing as a Bo Jackson curse, or any kind of curse for that matter. Players play and they win or lose based on their performance. Cheer your face off and enjoy this ride. They don't come along very often.

ThumbsUp
Bullshit...

While you've been neglecting your game day duties, I've been carrying the torch.

You're welcome for the 8-0 start. Smirk
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It's only weird if it doesn't work.

Maybe your routine was the jinx. I'm not changing anything I do for GameDay - best believe that ya feel.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Well, you are just, just ridiculous! I wear my exact same Bengal gear for every game, whether at home or in the stadium. I never miss a kickoff. I always stand for the kickoff, at home or in the stadium. I have the exact same breakfast every game day and the exact same pre-game meal. When going to the stadium, for basically every game, as we're pulling out of the driveway, I always yell out, "TICKET CHECK!" At this time my son or my wife, make sure the tickets are in order, and yells back, "TICKET CHECK!"

I could go on. But you get the idea. And if you think this has no impact, well, then you're just not right ... in the head. And I mean completely CRAZY! Because one of us is, and I'm pretty damn sure it's not me.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 05:31 PM)Nights Watch Wrote: Assumption through elimination, it's the whole dead cat in a bad theory, you don't know until you open the box whether there is or isn't a cat in the box. 

No, the cat is in the box, you just don't know if it's dead or alive. Or, if you're grampahol, if it's a rotting horse carcas, for some reason.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 12:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: So the dead, rotting horse carcass I have hung over my bed at night to ward off Bengal losses is just a big, smelly maggot infested beast having nothing to do with whether they win or lose? My girlfriend will be relieved that we can have sex without the flies buzzing around.

Trust me. That rotting carcass stench is the only thing getting you laid.

You best be checking if Glade carries that scent when the thing fully rots away.

Otherwise it's back to handling your own package gramps.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I always pee the bed before each game. Coincidence....I think not! Shocked
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 06:49 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's only weird if it doesn't work.

Maybe your routine was the jinx. I'm not changing anything I do for GameDay - best believe that ya feel.

I used to do it all. I just quit this year and you can be sure there was some internal trepidation--just a little. 

I was just defiant in my belief that it didn't mean anything. 

I am now free to do as i feel. Not weighed down by the intense weight of carrying a torch that doesn't really burn. Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 12:30 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I used to do it all. I just quit this year and you can be sure there was some internal trepidation--just a little. 

I was just defiant in my belief that it didn't mean anything. 

I am now free to do as i feel. Not weighed down by the intense weight of carrying a torch that doesn't really burn. Wink

If Bengals could have only gotten you to stop the rituals 20 some years ago we all would have been much happier. lol

Keep up the good work !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 02:34 AM)Go Cards Wrote: If Bengals could have only gotten you to stop the rituals 20 some years ago we all would have been much happier. lol

Keep up the good work !

lol. This isn't turning out the way i intended. 

My not doing what i've been doing for years is the reason they're winning. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
You guys can not believe in any jinxes, and I sure as hell don't either, but my game day routine is not going to change one bit. Having a tradition and "good luck charms" is part of it all. The ritual will continue....
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Bought a Jeremy Hill Jersey at the beginning of the season....and it is currently 8-0.  I can't help it.....I HAVE to wear it on game day because I don't
want to Jinx them. 

Yeah....yeah....I know there isn't really anything to it....but as sure as anything....as soon as I wear the Green or Eifert jersey.....we will lose.  Why Tempt fate?? 
[Image: predator_zps2bkpnoe5.jpg]
Reply/Quote

It doesn't.

ThumbsUp

Well, I know what you are saying on an intellectual and logical level. However, I made no prediction of points in the first game against Oakland and we won handily, so I've refrained from giving any predictions since - just because.

Reply/Quote

It doesn't.

ThumbsUp

HEY HEY

if someone is doing the same thing for game day every week and we havent lost you tell them to KEEP IT UP not that it doesnt matter.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2015, 02:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, I know what you are saying on an intellectual and logical level. However, I made no prediction of points in the first game against Oakland and we won handily, so I've refrained from giving any predictions since - just because.

lol. Ok, i'll come clean. I used to predict scores in those threads but it always seemed when i did, things went badly so i'll never do it again. Ninja

Reply/Quote
It is me. I did not wear an orange shirt and I went to a different bar and I missed kick off. Any one thing could have done it, but the trifecta - it was over before it started. Sorry fans.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2015, 11:06 PM)xxlt Wrote: It is me. I did not wear an orange shirt and I went to a different bar and I missed kick off. Any one thing could have done it, but the trifecta - it was over before it started. Sorry fans.

I didn't do anything different than i've done all year and they still lost.

I wonder how many on here changed their routine to 'cause the loss'.  Cool

Reply/Quote
The mystery of last week's loss has been determined.

I just looked at my toe nails and obviously didn't clip them last weekend.

We're good for tonight's game as i just did the deed.

Reply/Quote
Of course you are just stating the obvious, but it is funny how we are wired to feel such things matter. Religion just as silly but also just as pervasive as fan rituals and believing in sports curses lol. Football is just another target of our irrational minds. I do not believe in any of that nonsense, but still catch my brain trying to think that way all the time.
Reply/Quote