Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There were those that wanted to Take a Chance
In support of a win at all costs mentality.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12949870/ray-mcdonald-chicago-bears-arrested-domestic-violence-charge

Quote:The Santa Clara Police Department confirmed that McDonald was arrested at 7 a.m. local time Monday in San Jose, where the incident occurred. He was arrested on a charge of domestic violence and a separate charge of child endangerment. The address at which he was arrested belongs to his former 49ers teammate Justin Smith, according to property records.

I wonder if any journalist still caught up in 2005 will try to make the Justin Smith- Cincinnati Bengals connection.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably would have been worth the chance. The contract had zero signing bonus, zero guaranteed money, and no cap hit when cut.

It's not like the Bears lost anything here. Very low risk with a decent reward
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 06:33 PM)MrRager Wrote: Probably would have been worth the chance. The contract had zero signing bonus, zero guaranteed money, and no cap hit when cut.

It's not like the Bears lost anything here. Very low risk with a decent reward

Unless they passed on a better DT prospect to sign him.

And what happens if this occurs in the regular season when there are no decent replacements available?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Unless they passed on a better DT prospect to sign him.

And what happens if this occurs in the regular season when there are no decent replacements available?

It would've been stupid for them to pass up a DE prospect they were high on because they'd just signed a 31 year old DE with an arrest history to a 1 year contract.

I really doubt that happened.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It would've been stupid for them to pass up a DE prospect they were high on because they'd just signed a 31 year old DE with an arrest history to a 1 year contract.

I really doubt that happened.

But when it comes time to finalize the roster they would have to cut someone in order to keep him. Then when they have to cut him during the season they are SOL because there are no other viable replacements.

When people claim there is "no risk" just because the contract won't cost the team any money they are ignoring the fact that they have to use a roster spot to keep him that could have been used on a player that would have contributed all year.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But when it comes time to finalize the roster they would have to cut someone in order to keep him.  Then when they have to cut him during the season they are SOL because there are no other viable replacements.

When people claim there is "no risk" just because  

the contract won't cost the team any money they are ignoring the fact that they have to use a roster spot to keep him that could have been used on a player that would have contributed all year.

Meh. Say the Bears did have to cut McDonald during the season. Who would they have lost out on? The would-be 53rd man on the roster?

Not much of a loss, imo. Those guys are usually special teams/bottom of the depth chart types.

We'll just have to disagree I guess. I think the potential reward far outweighs the potential risk of losing a bottom of the roster type that could easily be replaced by a free agent or someone on the practice squad.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Say the Bears did have to cut McDonald during the season. Who would they have lost out on? The would-be 53rd man on the roster?

Not much of a loss, imo. Those guys are usually special teams/bottom of the depth chart types.

We'll just have to disagree I guess. I think the potential reward far outweighs the potential risk of losing a bottom of the roster type that could easily be replaced by a free agent or someone on the practice squad.

If they had never signed him then they would have pursued another higher quality D-lineman instead of just a special teams/bottom of the roster type player.
Reply/Quote
I think any team that signed a player like this would have a backup plan. If the right DL fell I'm the draft, I highly doubt they pass on him. Like Shake said, I think it's worth risking that 53rd player to get a guy of his caliber.

If this happens mid season than whoever they drafted/signed would have to step up. The same as if he tore his ACL or something.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't want anyone on this team that would put his hands on a woman. I was strongly against Green-Beckham in the draft and was against signing this guy.
Reply/Quote
My problem with this kind of signing, whether it's violence or substance abuse, or whatever, is just as much about being able to depend on someone as it is about the character and moral tone of your football team.

Both these things count, of course, but so many times just as your season is really rolling and things seem to be really falling into place, one of your key pieces is gone, and coping with the period of adjustment is just impossible.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 01:25 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I don't want anyone on this team that would put his hands on a woman. I was strongly against Green-Beckham in the draft and was against signing this guy.

I guess you're all for releasing Adam Jones then?
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 03:33 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: My problem with this kind of signing, whether it's violence or substance abuse, or whatever, is just as much about being able to depend on someone as it is about the character and moral tone of your football team.

Both these things count, of course, but so many times just as your season is really rolling and things seem to be really falling into place, one of your key pieces is gone, and coping with the period of adjustment is just impossible.

I don't see how it's any different than losing a player to injury, and this team has done a fine job at adjusting to injury.

Everyone looks at the negative, but what about the positive? What if the player works out and provides a big boost to the team?

I'd argue that this team wouldn't have made 4 straight playoff trips without the contributions of Adam Jones. CedBen also worked out.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 03:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd argue that this team wouldn't have made 4 straight playoff trips without the contributions of Adam Jones. CedBen also worked out.

And I'd argue that depending on Thurman to be our MLB set our defense back years.

Benson was determined to be innocent before we signed him.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Unless they passed on a better DT prospect to sign him.

You gotta be kidding me.
Reply/Quote
He got arrested again today. Stupid mf'er
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 06:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I'd argue that depending on Thurman to be our MLB set our defense back years.

Benson was determined to be innocent before we signed him.

Well your argument sucks.  Ninja

Bad drafting/free agents/coordinators is what set our defense back for years. If they'd brought in good players, would anyone remember Odell Thurman? No. Odell Thurman was glorified because our defense was terrible for so long and Marv never could find a good LB back then. If Baltimore had drafted Odell, their fans would've forgotten about him years ago, because they've always had a good/great defense and they've had countless stud LB's.

Benson was still a known knucklehead who clashed with teammates and had off-field issues, regardless of how you spin it.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 04:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In support of a win at all costs mentality.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12949870/ray-mcdonald-chicago-bears-arrested-domestic-violence-charge

I wonder if any journalist still caught up in 2005 will try to make the Justin Smith- Cincinnati Bengals connection.

.....woulda been kinda like drafting Johnny Doucheball 22nd overall..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote