Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There ya go Mike Brown ...
(01-25-2019, 05:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually, wasn’t it 5 NFL Championships and 2 SB’s?

Only 1 league MVP to Brady’s 3 though. Brady also has 14 Pro Bowls to Starr’s 4. I’m not old enough to have watched Starr, but just looking at their careers I think Brady has been far more dominant.

Technically, yes.  2 of them were in the pre-merger SB winning years, so it's still 5 world cjampionships.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 05:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: See, I completely disagree with this. I don’t think Bill would have won with just anyone. He missed the playoffs the one year he didn’t have Brady. They were 16-0 the year before...

I mean, we’ve seen other HC’s that were insanely dominant like Lombardi, but has there ever been another QB as dominant as Brady? 9 SB appearances...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11643143]

I see this argument a lot, and the easy counter is this: when they "missed the playoffs" the Pats went 11-5. In most years, that's good enough to win a division. We should acknowledge how fluky that was, rather than pretend the Pats were terrible without Brady. Some Bengals fans consider 2005 one of our greatest seasons, and we were 11-5, same as the Pats with Cassel.

Also, if you're going to bring up 16-0, it's just as easy to bring up that the Pats went 10-6 after Brady came back. Either way though, Belichick had the Pats at 11-5 with Matt "friggin" Cassel. If anything, that helps the pro-Belichick crowd. 

As for the 9 Super Bowls, heck yeah it's beyond impressive. That said, I wonder how many Montana would have if defenders weren't allowed to pummel him to oblivion. Or if Walsh had stuck around. It's just a combination of greatness combined with longevity and brilliant coaching. It's something that's really not been possible up to this point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 05:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually, wasn’t it 5 NFL Championships and 2 SB’s?

Only 1 league MVP to Brady’s 3 though. Brady also has 14 Pro Bowls to Starr’s 4. I’m not old enough to have watched Starr, but just looking at their careers I think Brady has been far more dominant.

From Starr's wiki:

Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8)[2] of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.

Starr's playing career ended with the 1971 season, having posted the second best career passer rating of 80.5 (First at the time was Otto Graham with 86.6).

----

He lead the league in completion percentage and passer rating 4 times each. Something Brady has only done once and twice respectively. Not sure how Pro Bowls and MVP's were determined back then (I think RB's dominated the MVP award), but Starr is worthy of being in the discussion for GOAT QB, imo...based on playoff/SB performance and performance compared to his peers (which is something people rarely consider).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 08:06 PM)McC Wrote: I'll be right back.  Have to go get a telescope to read that print.

Don't bother. It belongs in the bottom of a trash can, not anywhere on the web to be read. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 05:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: See, I completely disagree with this. I don’t think Bill would have won with just anyone. He missed the playoffs the one year he didn’t have Brady. They were 16-0 the year before...

I mean, we’ve seen other HC’s that were insanely dominant like Lombardi, but has there ever been another QB as dominant as Brady? 9 SB appearances...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11643143]

Fair to disagree, but that's the way I see it.  You're also forgetting all of the Super Bowls Hoodie won/coached in as a DC of the most important component of Bill Parcells' teams.  When a guy like Bill Parcells says he's the best coach he's ever seen or been around, I'm going to listen.

They went 11-5 and missed the playoffs, how rare is that?  They won with Matt Cassell.  Also, when the line was bad for two years, and they couldn't get over the Super Bowl hump, BB fired his oline coach and brought back Scarnecchia.  They won again.  The rosters turn over, the coaches turn over (besides Scarnecchia), but two things remain, Brady and Belichick.  Brady has nothing to do with those brilliant schemes on defense that neutralizes a teams' best weapon though.  

With the talent Cincy has had at times, I absolutely think he would have had them in a couple of Super Bowls and probably won at least one.  I don't see many players at all winning under Marvin and his deer in the headlight look.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 08:06 PM)McC Wrote: I'll be right back.  Have to go get a telescope to read that print.

Oh c'mon.. Even I can read that with my old glasses and 32" monitor..I don't make 3" phones so don't blame me. Nervous  And some think that the league is entirely on the up and up.. I'm still amazed by that notion..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 01:18 PM)McC Wrote: Absolutely agree.  He calls every play before they happen, no matter who is playing.

It would be a loss for fans, though, because he is just so damn good in the booth.

Hopefully, all of the networks take note of this and put more like him on the air and in the pregame shows instead of the loud useless pricks like Micheal Irvin. The NFL Network pregame is just unwatchable now. Just a clown show with everyone yelling and saying nothing. 

Romo is awesome.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 12:00 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hopefully, all of the networks take note of this and put more like him on the air and in the pregame shows instead of the loud useless pricks like Micheal Irvin. The NFL Network pregame is just unwatchable now. Just a clown show with everyone yelling and saying nothing. 

Romo is awesome.

Facts, it's made me go back to.....gasp.....ESPN and watching the network pregame shows.  Frig.....you can't even get any info on the matchups because everyone is shouting over one another.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 12:00 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hopefully, all of the networks take note of this and put more like him on the air and in the pregame shows instead of the loud useless pricks like Micheal Irvin. The NFL Network pregame is just unwatchable now. Just a clown show with everyone yelling and saying nothing. 

Romo is awesome.

Nine out of every ten statements that come out of Irvin's mouth are Cowboys, Cowboys, Cowboys. And the everybody yelling at once--yeah, beyond irritating.

With Romo, you'd never know who he played for.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote