Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
league tells officials to rule incomplete
on bang-bang plays

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/league-tells-officials-to-err-on-the-side-of-calling-bang-bang-passes-incomplete/

this one will surely not screw things up...
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 12:21 PM)Cocoapuffs Wrote: on bang-bang plays

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/league-tells-officials-to-err-on-the-side-of-calling-bang-bang-passes-incomplete/

this one will surely not screw things up...

Whatever the rule ends up being, just be consistent with it.  That's all anybody really wants.  Make it as black and white as possible and stick with it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 12:41 PM)McC Wrote: Whatever the rule ends up being, just be consistent with it.  That's all anybody really wants.  Make it as black and white as possible and stick with it.

yeah thats the best case scenario, but we all know thats not what will happen
Reply/Quote
So let me get this right.. if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, flies like a duck and poops out duck poop it's a genetically modified kitten..
I'm glad I understand the rules now..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought a receiver had to possess the ball and take a few steps for a completion anyway. Bang-bang plays are not long enough for a possession so what's new here unless the refs want clarification.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 03:59 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I thought a receiver had to possess the ball and take a few steps for a completion anyway. Bang-bang plays are not long enough for a possession so what's new here unless the refs want clarification.

Because the NFL has been trying for years to complicate a simple action (catching a football).
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I actually agree with this because there's too much ambiguity with the rules.

Like a player catches the ball but then hits the ground and loses it or takes a step or hit and loses it, that's not a catch.

I don't even see how it's that difficult because they say "what is completing the process," but completing the process is just finishing with the ball firmly in control of your hands, not bobbling or anything.

Like how the hell was this a catch? When does he ever get firm control and where does he complete the catch?

The wording "football move" is also a little unclear but I think it has to be clear control at all times and not lose the ball.
Reply/Quote
the league needs to just keep their noses out of it, and rework the rules into simple terms that their incompetent refs can understand
Reply/Quote
Personally, I like it.  If the offense is going to put points on the board, then they should be playing good offense to do so IMO.  Everybody knows that there is a certain "rules creep" phenomenon that has made it a lot harder to stop offenses from scoring.  Why not try dialing it back just a hair to see what happens?  The idea that an NFL catch does not involve using the ground, end of story, period sounds like it should be an accurate statement.
Reply/Quote
i think everyone can agree that there will have to be a rules revision at some point to clarify things
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 01:36 PM)Cocoapuffs Wrote: i think everyone can agree that there will have to be a rules revision at some point to clarify things contradict common sense and further confuse everyone, including the refs.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
they will also be watching Centers for false starts more closely.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 12:41 PM)McC Wrote: Whatever the rule ends up being, just be consistent with it.  That's all anybody really wants.  Make it as black and white as possible and stick with it.

This.  A million times this.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote