Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
They got LJ, we got CTB
A while back I was listening to a former coach talking about preparing for an athletic QB.  He said that you can tell your players about freakish athleticism, they can see it for themselves on tape, but who do you have on your squad who can replicate someone like Lamar in practice?  Ideally it would be a former HS or college QB.  It got me thinking about who we could use.  I thought maybe Kwame Lassiter or one of the Trents but wasn't sure if they had any QB experience.  Well, we got our answer.  From Bengals web site:

Just like you can't stop Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, you can only hope to contain him, you can't replicate Jackson in practice. You can only hope to give the defense a glance. By all accounts it sounds like rookie cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt did more than that as he had the defensive vets buzzing about his big arm as they came off the field Wednesday.

It was the second-round pick's first practice since undergoing core surgery about six weeks ago during training camp. Welcome back, kid. Taylor-Britt, named first-team All-State quarterbacking Park Crossing High School in Montgomery, Ala., rung up 1,466 yards and 16 touchdowns passing while running for 1,030 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior and apparently on Wednesday he was flinging it deep.

"Nobody can emulate No. 8," said defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo after Wednesday's practice. "Cam Taylor-Britt is giving his best effort. He did a good job."

Asked about what he's seeking from Taylor-Britt now that he's back, Anarumo said it's going to take him time to ease back in.
"I want him to be a great Lamar Jackson," Anarumo said. "He's done nothing football wise. One day at a time. Just keep getting better. Learn how to be a DB again.
Reply/Quote
Do we have a new replacement for Tyler Boyd as emergency QB? Cam Taylor Britt has been playing Lamar Jackson on the scout squad. Good news though if he is healthy enough to play scout team, hopefully he is healthy enough to be activated.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Those stats he posted as a senior in HS are just absurd.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 03:23 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Those stats he posted as a senior in HS are just absurd.
I would bet that he was also a tremendous basketball player too.  Track, baseball, whatever he wanted to do.

These guys are ridiculous athletes.  I worked at Jordan Hicks's high school.  He was better at basketball than he was at football.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 03:39 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I would bet that he was also a tremendous basketball player too.  Track, baseball, whatever he wanted to do.

These guys are ridiculous athletes.  I worked at Jordan Hicks's high school.  He was better at basketball than he was at football.

Yep.  I saw Hicks play a number of times during his years at Lakota West.  By far one of the greatest high school athletes I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
Well if he can simulate Lamar in any way then he’s got Allen beat, plus it seems like he’s got a nice arm.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 04:20 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yep.  I saw Hicks play a number of times during his years at Lakota West.  By far one of the greatest high school athletes I've ever seen.

Another Athlete who was freaky great at everything was Randy Moss. He won the state track meet in the 100 as a Sophomore and did not run again. Was a two time state champion in Basketball. (did not hurt that he also played with the Williams kid who went on to play in the NBA) 
Reply/Quote
Just a guess, but there might be a reason he wasn't a college QB..Not too often we hear about CBs being converted to QBs in the league.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
If Cam is emulating Lamar at practice then it sounds like his recovery is going really well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He'd look spiffy dashing towards the pylon in goaline sets.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I’ll take CTB over Allen,and I haven’t even seen him play at QB.Suprised they didn’t attempt to upgrade at QB in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 12:34 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I’ll take CTB over Allen,and I haven’t even seen him play at QB.Suprised they didn’t attempt to upgrade at QB in the offseason.

We have a qb, no need to convert him. We need CB's.
He can always be an emergency no 3.
Reply/Quote
Never heard of this guy before...
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 12:04 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: "Nobody can emulate No. 8," said defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo after Wednesday's practice. "Cam Taylor-Britt is giving his best effort. He did a good job."

Asked about what he's seeking from Taylor-Britt now that he's back, Anarumo said it's going to take him time to ease back in.
"I want him to be a great Lamar Jackson," Anarumo said. "He's done nothing football wise. One day at a time. Just keep getting better. Learn how to be a DB again.

Damn to the bolded, Lou. Tell us how you really feel.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 12:04 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: A while back I was listening to a former coach talking about preparing for an athletic QB.  He said that you can tell your players about freakish athleticism, they can see it for themselves on tape, but who do you have on your squad who can replicate someone like Lamar in practice?  Ideally it would be a former HS or college QB.  It got me thinking about who we could use.  I thought maybe Kwame Lassiter or one of the Trents but wasn't sure if they had any QB experience.  Well, we got our answer.  From Bengals web site:

Just like you can't stop Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, you can only hope to contain him, you can't replicate Jackson in practice. You can only hope to give the defense a glance. By all accounts it sounds like rookie cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt did more than that as he had the defensive vets buzzing about his big arm as they came off the field Wednesday.

It was the second-round pick's first practice since undergoing core surgery about six weeks ago during training camp. Welcome back, kid. Taylor-Britt, named first-team All-State quarterbacking Park Crossing High School in Montgomery, Ala., rung up 1,466 yards and 16 touchdowns passing while running for 1,030 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior and apparently on Wednesday he was flinging it deep.

"Nobody can emulate No. 8," said defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo after Wednesday's practice. "Cam Taylor-Britt is giving his best effort. He did a good job."

I remember seeing CTB throw a ball in the Offseason like 65+ yards and going WTF? Makes sense he was a great HS QB.

This is a good move using a dynamic dude like this to prepare our Defense. Need to slow down Lamar and the running 
game with Dobbs to win this game, I think it will be a high scoring game and we lose if we don't slow them down.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:35 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Never heard of this guy before...

Where were you during the draft?
Reply/Quote
I going to hope we do to Jackson what we've done to him (and Mahomes) before that has succeeded - mush rush him, disguise coverages and make Jackson fit the ball into small spaces - he has a cannon but that kind of pinpoint accuracy is not something he has historically displayed.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: I going to hope we do to Jackson what we've done to him (and Mahomes) before that has succeeded - mush rush him, disguise coverages and make Jackson fit the ball into small spaces - he has a cannon but that kind of pinpoint accuracy is not something he has historically displayed.

We should do that, and I think we will be successful at it. My only concern really is Dobbs running all over us with DJ out...
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Where were you during the draft?

I mean we had to trade up for the guy. Cameron Taylor Britt is not some no name dude at the bottom of the draft or somethin'.

Still think if he gets healthy and Apple falls off and gets really inconsistent again CTB could end up being the starter opposite of
Awuzie by year's end. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean we had to trade up for the guy. Cameron Taylor Britt is not some no name dude at the bottom of the draft or somethin'.

Still think if he gets healthy and Apple falls off and gets really inconsistent again CTB could end up being the starter opposite of
Awuzie by year's end. 

Cool article. I wouldn’t mind seeing the kid getting some playing time. Same with the Dax.
Reply/Quote