Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They stood around killing grass"
(11-07-2018, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably into their janitorial training program.

Lap was so smart he left the Bengals for a 10 year contract with a USFL team. Rolleyes
Still he was accepted and could have went to Harvard which is Ivy League. I went to WVU how about you?
Also he played offensive line in the NFL and as you said yourself I'd rather trust a guy that's done it at the highest level than some rando on a message board.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 07:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guarantee they were not "not doing a thing".  They were practicing.  Just not as hard as under Pollack.

Listening to lap it seems like some of this is personal with him.  He fawns over how everyone has to compete for their job every day under Pollack, yet Pollack has not made a single change in the lineup.

And this whole "killing grass" line sounds stupid.  You kill more grass on a practice field by running than by standing still.  Maybe Lap juts isn't very smart.  You don't have to re-sod a practice field if everyone just stands around and does nothing.
I will agree with you, it does sound personal. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Still he was accepted and could have went to Harvard which is Ivy League. I went to WVU how about you?

Disco Tech class of '86
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Disco Tech class of '86

Lol I've been to Knoxville I believe that.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Laps gets paid to run his yap and he is often wrong. I will never forget when he said Gresh deserted his team. Then when Gresh called him out on it, he wanted to use the semantics route "I never said quit". Gresh was a warrior his whole time here. This alone makes me take everything Laps said with a grain of salt.

WTS, PA was here about 5-10 years too long. When he thought Livings was a better LG than Mathis; I was through with him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, PA was here about 5-10 years too long. When he thought Livings was a better LG than Mathis; I was through with him.

Mathis started in front of Livings in '09 when he deserved to.

Mathis was an out of shape slob in 2010.  That is why he had to settle for a league minimum contract despite tons of game film for teams to scout.
Reply/Quote
So where was all this criticism when Alexander was here?

Never heard a negative comment from Alexander despite seeing the offensive line get worse and worse as time went on.

Sure, we can talk about the offensive line and how great it was with the likes of Whitworth, Boling, and Zeitler. Because it was.
But then we drafted Bodine.
And we've had our players call Alexander out, such as Boling. I mean, when you have a PLAYER saying those things about you, and no one denies it, you know you have a problem.
Oh, and don't forget that Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Bodine were all players that Alexander wanted.

Remember Nate Livings and how Alexander continued to choose him over Evan Mathis? Even though the Bengals were 6-1 when Mathis started over Livings, but yet Alexander CONTINUED to put him in there?

Yes, Alexander had some successful seasons. As did Bratkowski.
But Alexander never modified his coaching style to his player's strengths.

The main reason the Cowboys fired Alexander was because there was regression and he was making them do things that wasn't their strength.

Remember how many people brought up a lack of nastiness from our offensive line? Guess what was another knock on Paul Alexander in Dallas? Lack of aggression and nastiness.

Alexander needed to go when he was in Cincinnati, and it's not a surprise the Cowboys got rid of him either.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:28 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Remember Nate Livings and how Alexander continued to choose him over Evan Mathis? Even though the Bengals were 6-1 when Mathis started over Livings, but yet Alexander CONTINUED to put him in there?

No.  I remember Mathis starting over Livings. I believe Livings was injured at the beginning of the season but when he returned Mathis kept the starting position until he got injured.   He did not look as good when he returned later in the season.

Do you remember what every other coaching staff in the league thought of Mathis when he became a free agent after the '10 season?  All 31 agreed with Alexander that he did not deserve to start.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 07:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Lap was accepted to Harvard. He didn't go but he could have...

The point he was making things that sit around kill grass.

Like my old pee wee coach used to say when we were writhing on the field hurt..... "get up, you're killing the grass!" LMAO 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Still he was accepted and could have went to Harvard which is Ivy League. I went to WVU how about you?
Also he played offensive line in the NFL and as you said yourself I'd rather trust a guy that's done it at the highest level than some rando on a message board.

Hiiii-yyyoooooooo!!!!!

Reply/Quote
As for this being personal ....in a way you guys have a point. Maybe Lap is like me. I played oline....I'm sure a pro like him takes line play a HELLUVA lot more serious and personal than I do. When he sees a unit playing uninspired and like shit....it upsets him, like me. I hear him praise Pollack, I never heard a word of praise about Piano Paul.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mathis started in front of Livings in '09 when he deserved to.

Mathis was an out of shape slob in 2010.  That is why he had to settle for a league minimum contract despite tons of game film for teams to scout.

We've been through this before. Mathis was out of work for about 2 days after he left here because he wanted to play for the Philly Oline coach (a good one), he pretty much only got to start when Livings was hurt, as soon as Livings came back Mathis went to the bench.

I have no problem that you want to look silly every time the subject is brought out. To include buying the BS that Matthis went from an "out of shape slob" to ripped in about 2 months. He was selling snake oil to folks and a few fools bought it.  

Everybody except Fred Toast knows starting Nate Livings over Evan Mathis was a mistake and I was saying so at the time. While you were talking about how smart PA was

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Any high school coach can go out an run players to death. 

In coaching, like everything else, it is about working smarter instead of just working harder.

Actually it is about both, like everything else. To succeed you have to work hard and smart but you would not know this.

PA sounds like he is perfect for a government job where his skills are good in theory and there is zero accountability.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've been through this before. Mathis was out of work for about 2 days after he left here because he wanted to play for the Philly Oline coach (a good one), he pretty much only got to start when Livings was hurt, as soon as Livings came back Mathis went to the bench.

I have no problem that you want to look silly every time the subject is brought out. To include buying the BS that Matthis went from an "out of shape slob" to ripped in about 2 months. He was selling snake oil to folks and a few fools bought it.  

Everybody except Fred Toast knows starting Nate Livings over Evan Mathis was a mistake and I was saying so at the time. While you were talking about how smart PA was

Yep....Howard Mudd. A REAL oline coach....

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I remember Mathis starting over Livings. I believe Livings was injured at the beginning of the season but when he returned Mathis kept the starting position until he got injured.   He did not look as good when he returned later in the season.

Do you remember what every other coaching staff in the league thought of Mathis when he became a free agent after the '10 season?  All 31 agreed with Alexander that he did not deserve to start.

Mathis started 7 games in 2009. He did not start any in 2010.
Nate Livings did awful as a starter for the Bengals, we all remember that. People called for him to get benched, and rightfully so.

Ummm, Evan Mathis' knock for many teams was their concern for him staying healthy.
Evan Mathis did not allow any sacks for the Bengals from 2009-2010.

Evan Mathis also signed with the Eagles the same day that Cedric Benson did. July 31st, 2010.
And he was signed before Nate Clements. So by that logic, 31 teams also didn't believe that Nate Clements was a starter.
Nor was Manny Lawson and Ahmad Bradshaw apparently, since they also signed after Mathis was signed.

And Thomas Howard was signed a day before. So I guess your cut off date for "starter position" was July 30th?
Or when is this cut off date exactly?
Cause I feel like you're grasping at straws that aren't there.

Go ahead. I'll wait.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 07:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe they were doing the ketchup test? Mellow

With Heinz ketchup, no less.  That alone was grounds for dismissal.  And don't forget the "Here, see if you can knock over a middle aged fat guy" method.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:58 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Mathis started 7 games in 2009. He did not start any in 2010.
Nate Livings did awful as a starter for the Bengals, we all remember that. People called for him to get benched, and rightfully so.

Ummm, Evan Mathis' knock for many teams was their concern for him staying healthy.
Evan Mathis did not allow any sacks for the Bengals from 2009-2010.

Evan Mathis also signed with the Eagles the same day that Cedric Benson did. July 31st, 2010.
And he was signed before Nate Clements. So by that logic, 31 teams also didn't believe that Nate Clements was a starter.
Nor was Manny Lawson and Ahmad Bradshaw apparently, since they also signed after Mathis was signed.

And Thomas Howard was signed a day before. So I guess your cut off date for "starter position" was July 30th?
Or when is this cut off date exactly?
Cause I feel like you're grasping at straws that aren't there.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

I think one thing that is overlooked is this was the lock out off season. Once that was lifted FAs were looking to get in where they fit it. EM jumped at the chance for a "prove it" deal (which he did) with Philly. 

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: As for this being personal ....in a way you guys have a point. Maybe Lap is like me. I played oline....I'm sure a pro like him takes line play a HELLUVA lot more serious and personal than I do. When he sees a unit playing uninspired and like shit....it upsets him, like me. I hear him praise Pollack, I never heard a word of praise about Piano Paul.

Interesting that Lap pointed out the difference in training strategies.  As a former OL myself, I know that I benefitted way more from an active, upbeat practice.  Not only does it work out the kinks from the game, but it keeps the stamina from dropping, during the games.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting that Lap pointed out the difference in training strategies.  As a former OL myself, I know that I benefitted way more from an active, upbeat practice.  Not only does it work out the kinks from the game, but it keeps the stamina from dropping, during the games.

Yes. Absolutely. I also recall an article about Pollack bringing in drill equipment because all PA did was use arm pads in practice. One thing he brought back that I loved was the chute. You can bet your ass you'll learn to fire off low and stay low after ringing your bell on that ***** a few times!

Being X's and O's smart is great.....but not drilling fundamentals with that is asking for bad habits. Pro or not.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Laps gets paid to run his yap and he is often wrong. I will never forget when he said Gresh deserted his team. Then when Gresh called him out on it, he wanted to use the semantics route "I never said quit". Gresh was a warrior his whole time here. This alone makes me take everything Laps said with a grain of salt.

WTS, PA was here about 5-10 years too long. When he thought Livings was a better LG than Mathis; I was through with him.

Calling out Gresham was one of the dumbest things he's done.

That guy was being practically held together with duct tape.

I don't care if you hated on JG for holds, drops, whatever...  the dude wasn't a wimp or quitter.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote