Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I'd Like To See
I think it goes beyond saying that I'd like to see the Bengals sign at least one quality free agent in the offseason.   Either a blue chip offensive lineman or blue chip 3 down backer who can shed and cover - or maybe even two (gasp). 

But as long as I'm dreaming I'd also like to see the core of the big name veteran players take some leadership and do some work in the offseason to upgrade the younger members of the team.  For example:
  • I'd like to see Dalton and Green take a few of our younger receivers (I'm thinking Ross, Boyd and maybe Malone) and do some work with them on routes and timing - maybe host a "camp" in a nice quality warm weather destination and have them do route after route and spend some time breaking down film from other quality passing systems together.  Build some timing and chemistry and maybe break the alienation created by coaching staff throwing certain players under the bus.
  • I'd like to see the DBs do something similar that includes just receiving skills.   How many interceptions did they drop in 2017?  It wouldn't hurt to review some film to do some problem solving with their zone coverage.
  • Have the linebackers, the TEs and running backs do nothing but running and covering routes.
  • Have the offensive linemen do a "technique camp" with Willie Anderson and Anthony Munoz (and maybe McNally?  He's not on staff...).   You hear that there's no time to work on technique during the season.  And now we've been hearing that there's no time to work on technique in freaking camp!!   What's a multi million dollar group of athletes to do???  And it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe look at some coaching film of the Superbowl to get an idea of how good offensive lines operate as a group.
Obviously this would depend on whether the players are rehabbing or not but shoot, if you want to win and go to the big time and coaches don't have time to do anything but install game plans, this would seem to be an answer.  And it doesn't have to be all work.  Go somewhere where you can have fun for a week or two and enjoy when you're not busting your butts.

Ok, I know it's not all that realistic.   But I'd like to know your thoughts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 01:32 PM)3wt Wrote: I think it goes beyond saying that I'd like to see the Bengals sign at least one quality free agent in the offseason.   Either a blue chip offensive lineman or blue chip 3 down backer who can shed and cover - or maybe even two (gasp). 

But as long as I'm dreaming I'd also like to see the core of the big name veteran players take some leadership and do some work in the offseason to upgrade the younger members of the team.  For example:

• I'd like to see Dalton and Green take a few of our younger receivers (I'm thinking Ross, Boyd and maybe Malone) and do some work with them on routes and timing - maybe host a "camp" in a nice quality warm weather destination and have them do route after route and spend some time breaking down film from other quality passing systems together.  Build some timing and chemistry and maybe break the alienation created by coaching staff throwing certain players under the bus.
  • I'd like to see the DBs do something similar that includes just receiving skills.   How many interceptions did they drop in 2017?  It wouldn't hurt to review some film to do some problem solving with their zone coverage.
  • Have the linebackers, the TEs and running backs do nothing but running and covering routes.
  • Have the offensive linemen do a "technique camp" with Willie Anderson and Anthony Munoz (and maybe McNally?  He's not on staff...).   You hear that there's no time to work on technique during the season.  And now we've been hearing that there's no time to work on technique in freaking camp!!   What's a multi million dollar group of athletes to do???  And it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe look at some coaching film of the Superbowl to get an idea of how good offensive lines operate as a group.
Obviously this would depend on whether the players are rehabbing or not but shoot, if you want to win and go to the big time and coaches don't have time to do anything but install game plans, this would seem to be an answer.  And it doesn't have to be all work.  Go somewhere where you can have fun for a week or two and enjoy when you're not busting your butts.

My God man, think of the rollover money! Mellow 

Sounds like good ideas to me.  I think it would be great for Andy to revisit House, and maybe take his WRs with him?  I don't know if that's plausible, but it would kill two birds with one stone.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yeah I like your thinking.   After last season Andy has to have developed some bad habits that need breaking.   If I were him I would definitely do some work with House before getting together with his receivers.   And if he had to pick one, he really needs to get on the same page as Ross, or the experiment will never even get tried and he'll just become a bust.

It's a lot to think that all these position groups would do this.   But at least the receivers and o-linemen NEED to do it.   The defensive backs could just rent a jugs machine...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 01:47 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah I like your thinking.   After last season Andy has to have developed some bad habits that need breaking.   If I were him I would definitely do some work with House before getting together with his receivers.   And if he had to pick one, he really needs to get on the same page as Ross, or the experiment will never even get tried and he'll just become a bust.

It's a lot to think that all these position groups would do this.   But at least the receivers and o-linemen NEED to do it.   The defensive backs could just rent a jugs machine...

He needs to gain trust in his protection again.....the last year and a half (because the 1st few games of '16, he was still playing like he's capable of) has gotten to him, and he has regressed in his mechanics that House had seemed to have gotten ironed out.  He got in too big of a hurry and let some of his mechanics go out the window.

Agreed, Ross would be the best candidate to go with him, and the line for sure needs what you are suggesting.  They need all the work they can get.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 01:32 PM)3wt Wrote: I think it goes beyond saying that I'd like to see the Bengals sign at least one quality free agent in the offseason.   Either a blue chip offensive lineman or blue chip 3 down backer who can shed and cover - or maybe even two (gasp). 

Dalton usually has the WRs down to his texas house in the offseason I believe.  they have talk about them doing things like that almost EVERY offseason
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dalton usually has the WRs down to his texas house in the offseason I believe.  they have talk about them doing things like that almost EVERY offseason

I know he's done it before.  Don't really recall him doing it last offseason.   But you're right he's done it before, and I hope he takes some extra special time with Ross.  They clearly were not on the same page.

I would REALLY like to see the offensive linemen do something.  I was appalled when I heard they don't have time to really work on technique in OTAs and camp.

With guys coming out of college programs that do little to train O-linemen in anything but the spread, these guys won't start to come around till the end of their first contract.  Maybe that's what Alexander was alluding to when he predicted that Ogbuehi and Fisher will probably see significant improvement this year.

So they need more.  And the team can't orchestrate it.
Reply/Quote
Yep a solid FA OL would start everything off on the right foot.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

It's 71 degrees in Katy, TX, Dalton's hometown. Weather for next week forecasts in the 60's and 70's. Seems like a good place right now to simulate Ohio Fall weather.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

A great thread 3wt and great post. I would like to see all of this as well and that is a great point about working on technique
which is our number 1 problem right now on that O-line. No time to work on technique during the season as Boling was saying
about PA before. Where did you hear there is no time to work on technique in camp though? Haven't heard this.

I know Willie was working with both Og and Fisher last year. Not much of a result though.

Just going to add to your things you would like to see with what i would like to see come FA and the draft...

Add one of Ryan Jensen, Zach Fulton, Nate Solder or Justin Pugh in FA.

Nigel Bradham that LB from the Eagles or Whitehead from the Lions would be nice but as long as we free up the draft somewhat
with an O-lineman we could be looking at a stud LB like Roquan Smith at 12. My ideal right now...

Nate Solder, Nigel Bradham in FA.

BPA in the first whether it is Quentin Nelson, McGlinchey, Roquan, Derwin James or one of the stud DT's.

Best available Center in the 2nd whether it is Ragnow, Price or Daniels.
Reply/Quote

Good post! QB's and Wrs need to put sometime in together this offseason. I just wonder though, do they all know what Lazor is going to incorporate, route wise? Andy needs to revisit with House and get back to the basics. Running for your life will breakdown your mechanics in a heartbeat.
As for the O-line, I would hesitate letting an ex-Bengal show them the ropes. I would have them studying film of Dallas to see just exactly what Pollack wants them to do and how to do it. 
As for FA, we can all dream but we aren't doing anything but staying in house. 
Reply/Quote
Well I guess we are starting to address the oline. We just signed Bobby Hart from the Giants. OT/G
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Where did you hear there is no time to work on technique in camp though? Haven't heard this.

I know Willie was working with both Og and Fisher last year. Not much of a result though.

Thanks for the response Nate. 

I don't recall where I saw or heard about not having time to work on technique in camp.  I just remember being shocked to hear it.  I don't know if it was one of our players or someone interviewed by Ross Tucker.  I know I heard it and am sorry not to be able to give you a source.

I had always assumed that OTAs and Camp were where they had the time to work on technique, but the player said that even in camp the focus was on installing the offense and there was minimal work on technique.

Discouraging that Willie did not have much impact on Og and Fisher.  But I don't know how many reps there were able to get with him.

I keep trying to dream up ways of getting a couple of really good offensive linemen, a stud defensive lineman and a stud linebacker.    We'll be lucky to get a couple. 

I'd love to see us make a serious acquisition in FA for a change.   Marvin made it sound like that was a rare option this year.  We'll see!
Reply/Quote
Those Linemen should be doing that on their own as well.

I mean seriously, If I were playing in the NFL, I'd be learning as much as possible and working on my technique, counter moves and strength (base) all season long. It might only be played 9 months out of the year, but it's a full time job.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 07:38 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Those Linemen should be doing that on their own as well.

I mean seriously, If I were playing in the NFL, I'd be learning as much as possible and working on my technique, counter moves and strength (base) all season long. It might only be played 9 months out of the year, but it's a full time job.

I know, right?  They've worked so hard to get here, even the dregs get elite money, they're off between the end of the season and the end of April (for us that's basically 4 months) and everyone says they want to go to the Superbowl.

I know you need rest, but most ex players will tell you that 2-4 weeks is all the time needed to recuperate if you're not injured.  They have the money between them to pay a significant fee.

Plus, it would just be fun.   I know Whit organized some things.  I'd love to see one of these guys step up and organize something.

Dalton has done that in the past.   But we need more than one leader on this team.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 05:06 PM)bengalsdh Wrote: Well I guess we are starting to address the oline.  We just signed Bobby Hart from the Giants.  OT/G

That is something i guess, know nothing about Hart but he might already be an upgrade over Og lol

(02-14-2018, 07:20 PM)3wt Wrote: Thanks for the response Nate. 

I don't recall where I saw or heard about not having time to work on technique in camp.  I just remember being shocked to hear it.  I don't know if it was one of our players or someone interviewed by Ross Tucker.  I know I heard it and am sorry not to be able to give you a source.

I had always assumed that OTAs and Camp were where they had the time to work on technique, but the player said that even in camp the focus was on installing the offense and there was minimal work on technique.

Discouraging that Willie did not have much impact on Og and Fisher.  But I don't know how many reps there were able to get with him.

I keep trying to dream up ways of getting a couple of really good offensive linemen, a stud defensive lineman and a stud linebacker.    We'll be lucky to get a couple. 

I'd love to see us make a serious acquisition in FA for a change.   Marvin made it sound like that was a rare option this year.  We'll see!

Thank you, that shocked me as well when i heard it from you about not enough time for technique in camp. WTF?

(02-14-2018, 07:38 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Those Linemen should be doing that on their own as well.

Same here, technique is where it all starts and you improve from there in the NFL. Too many great athletes and strong

dudes to rely on just skill. Hopefully all our Lineman are doing this, i know that Pollack looks like a hardass unlike that fat
puffball we had here before.

(02-14-2018, 07:44 PM)3wt Wrote: I know, right?  They've worked so hard to get here, even the dregs get elite money, they're off between the end of the season and the end of April (for us that's basically 4 months) and everyone says they want to go to the Superbowl.

I know you need rest, but most ex players will tell you that 2-4 weeks is all the time needed to recuperate if you're not injured.  They have the money between them to pay a significant fee.

Plus, it would just be fun.   I know Whit organized some things.  I'd love to see one of these guys step up and organize something.

Dalton has done that in the past.   But we need more than one leader on this team.

Yeah, if we have the leaders on the team it would really help negate Marv's weakness in terms of leadership.
Reply/Quote

We'd all like to see something sensible from the Bengals GM with regards free agency and the off season.

Alas, the GM is still Mikey Brown and he just doesn't believe in all that stuff.

Reply/Quote
I'd just like them to put some money in the kitty to bribe refs.. 
No wait..refs are all good upstanding citizens of only the highest possible character who would NEVER referee a game to tilt in the favor of other teams..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Sure loved seeing that Pollack video on bengals.com.

Got me excited actually. I bet the O-line is majorly improved this season just cause of this guy.

If we actually give him a couple other guys like Nate Solder and Frank Ragnow look the hell out.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure loved seeing that Pollack video on bengals.com.

Got me excited actually. I bet the O-line is majorly improved this season just cause of this guy.

If we actually give him a couple other guys like Nate Solder and Frank Ragnow look the hell out.

Truly hope you're right Nate.   My skept-o-meter is going off though.   Really weird that Dallas was in a hurry to trade position coaches...
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 05:03 PM)3wt Wrote: Truly hope you're right Nate.   My skept-o-meter is going off though.   Really weird that Dallas was in a hurry to trade position coaches...

They never would of just traded Pollack for PA straight up man. I heard that they were going to sign Pollack back but we snagged
him up too quick so they just grabbed PA up. Completely great by Mikey Boy and the FO for once and completely stupid by the
Cowboys. They have a lot of talent to work with for PA though. That O-line could carry his sad old coaching yah never know but
we clearly upgraded big time here with Frank Pollack.

Bill Callahan disciple. I think Callahan and Scarnecchia are the best O-line coaches in the NFL.

Pollack is the younger version though and although he doesn't have major experience he has quality experience coaching the
best O-line in the NFL the last couple years. We will be better this year, turn off your skept-o-meter on Pollack lol

Austin is who i am wondering about who is a Pitt native just like Merv. I just don't want to keep on losing to the Squealers cuz
we have all these Squealer fan coaches...
Reply/Quote