Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I learned from watching the Thursday night NFL season opener
(09-06-2019, 11:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: Again, I'm just questioning why it was fine to compare two qb's who didn't start equal games but get upset when two qb's were compared who didn't start equal games.

That's all.

I didn't do it.

I'm not arguing with you, nor am I saying the Fitz vs Brady argument was a slam-dunk for either side.  I'm just saying Dalton's 2018 rating is close enough to the rest of his career to use in a comparison.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 11:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Where is the hate on Dalton?  Someone took issue with the notion that Trubisky is ranked higher than Dalton when Trubisky's last season 14-game rating was better than Dalton's last rating, and better than all of Dalton's season end ratings except for 2015 where he played 13 games.

That just numbers and stuff.  And if Dalton has a higher rating than Trubisky after 2019 (which looks like it could be a pretty easy task) he should should SHOULD be ranked higher than Mitch going into 2020.  Nothing to hate-ey about it, on its surface, but numbers are neutral and it's what people do with them that makes the difference.

Ok well that's a different argument that requires us to look at a different set of data.  I'm just talking about the rating which is what has been presented here and I haven't even said that being ranked above another guy is indicative of who is legitimately better.  I'm not dying on Trubisky hill here, I was just responding to the latest cries of the universe being unfair to Andy Dalton.  Then again, I'm a vocal critic of "The Bengal way" so don't think I don't take that stuff into consideration.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 11:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: Again, I'm just questioning why it was fine to compare two qb's who didn't start equal games but get upset when two qb's were compared who didn't start equal games.

That's all.

I didn't do it.

11 and 14 are MUCH closer than 7 and 16.

Pretty simple.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 11:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They will only use info that props up others while trashing AD because it does not fit their narrative. Their desire to hate AD takes over their common sense. 

This sounds very familiar as same narrative happening in politics now.

Lord knows nobody irrationally supports a politician, either.  At any rate, Dalton should love this first flop of a game because if he can find his arse with both hands he will be better than Trubisky and Rodgers.
Reply/Quote
After Chicago found itself staring at 1st and 40 I felt pretty happy that ZT installed a play clock in practice, lol.

I can't fathom how a team gets two straight delay of game penalties at home. Awful.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 11:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Lord knows nobody irrationally supports a politician, either.  At any rate, Dalton should love this first flop of a game because if he can find his arse with both hands he will be better than Trubisky and Rodgers.

I don't think AD gets emotionally involved on how fans rate QB's who are mostly clueless.

His performance will be against a very good defense on the road. Wilson gets a pass playing arguably a top 3 worst defense in the league so Wilson should have a huge day based on competition being faced.

Dalton is unlucky in one sense, he does not get to play the Bengal's defense once or twice a year. Trubisky on the other hand does not have to play a great Bears defense once or twice a year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 12:01 PM)NKURyan Wrote: After Chicago found itself staring at 1st and 40 I felt pretty happy that ZT installed a play clock in practice, lol.

I can't fathom how a team gets two straight delay of game penalties at home. Awful.

It's possible people look at this game between two starting QBs who played a grand total of what....3 or so snaps in pre-season and adjusts accordingly.  Or the Rams could knock it out of the park in game 1 and then that conclusion will change.

(09-06-2019, 12:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't think AD gets emotionally involved on how fans rate QB's who are mostly clueless.

His performance will be against a very good defense on the road. Wilson gets a pass playing arguably a top 3 worst defense in the league so Wilson should have a huge day based on competition being faced.

Dalton is unlucky in one sense, he does not get to play the Bengal's defense once or twice a year. Trubisky on the other hand does not have to play a great Bears defense once or twice a year.

Dalton also doesn't have to face the Steelers and RAvens defenses of the mid and late 00s, but now we're really getting into a big argument!  At any rate, I'm fine with Dalton and I'll probably think more highly of him than his current big fans do when the guy is out of here but time will tell.
Reply/Quote
things i learned from last night was if and or when we ever play either chicago or green bay pray for andy dalton.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 12:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't think AD gets emotionally involved on how fans rate QB's who are mostly clueless.

Idk about that. His best season came after he did extensive offseason work because he was booed at a softball game...

And Dalton’s lucky days of playing a terrible Ohio team are probably sadly over. No more padding stats against the worst of the worst.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 12:01 PM)NKURyan Wrote: After Chicago found itself staring at 1st and 40 I felt pretty happy that ZT installed a play clock in practice, lol.

Packers had to use a time out to avoid a delay of game coming off sideline for start of a drive.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 12:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk about that. His best season came after he did extensive offseason work because he was booed at a softball game...

And Dalton’s lucky days of playing a terrible Ohio team are probably sadly over. No more padding stats against the worst of the worst.

Sure, he played the Browns who were not the worst defense in the NFL every year.

But also stuck playing Ravens and Steelers defenses 2x a year so more than makes up for your perceived padding of stats 

Also ML was notorious for removing AD in games we were being blown out or as I call it defense soft time where they give you 5 and 10 yard passes all day long to end the game. Most head coaches keep their main guy in, you know to pad his stats, but not ML.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 10:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What I’ll tell you is that Fitzpatrick only started 7 games last year so it’s a stupid ***** comparison.

Dalton only started 11.  Stupid is as stupid does.

I actually think Trubisky is a decent QB, but Dalton's career numbers are better than his and Dalton's best season is better than his best.
Reply/Quote
Here is what I learned

Packers D was about as bad as ours last year.

They signed three quality free D agents and I think two of them are linebackers.

Why don't the Bengals ever sign high quality free agents in positions of need and why in the world did they not sign a quality LB last year.

Don't give me a salary cap argument since the Packers are dealing with the impact of Rodgers salary.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton only started 11.  Stupid is as stupid does.

I actually think Trubisky is a decent QB, but Dalton's career numbers are better than his and Dalton's best season is better than his best.

These comments and others show AD and Trubisky are closer to being on par, no clear cut better at this point in my opinion. It is debatable and thus our debate (conversation).

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 12:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Dalton’s lucky days of playing a terrible Ohio team are probably sadly over. No more padding stats against the worst of the worst.

From 2011 through 2018 the Browns pass defense was top half of the league (16th) in fewest passing yards allowed and 19th in pass efficiency rating.  Not even close to the worst of the worst.  Meanwhile our other two AFCN opponents rank in the top ten in both passing yards allowed (Pitt 5th, Bal 8th) and pass efficiency(Bal 4th, Pitt 10th).

Sad how delusional the Andy haters are.  They are so desperate they make stuff up in their heads and pretend it is true.
Reply/Quote
Wow. Did not realize last nights game was about Andy Dalton. Sorry for contributing to the derailment.

Getting back to the original topic, I predicted in preseason that because of the new emphasis on calling holding on O-linemen sack numbers will go up and passing numbers will go down.

The passing numbers were getting ridiculous last year. This is the leagues way of addressing that.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 11:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Trubisky and John Ross could probably have a few drinks and gripe about this.
You can say that about the majority of the top 10 that year. If we're being honest everyone is pissed about missing out on Mahomes.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 01:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: You can say that about the majority of the top 10 that year. If we're being honest everyone is pissed about missing out on Mahomes.

Chicago has only had a handful of decent QBs in the past  century though.  Their TD record for a season is still held by Erik Kramer from 1995 with 29 I think.
Reply/Quote
Starting offenses need to take more snaps in preseason. Both sides looked so rusty.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2019, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow.  Did not realize last nights game was about Andy Dalton.  Sorry for contributing to the derailment.

Getting back to the original topic, I predicted in preseason that because of the new emphasis on calling holding on O-linemen sack numbers will go up and passing numbers will go down.

The passing numbers were getting ridiculous last year.  This is the leagues way of addressing that.

The stats for both QBs last night were pretty pedestrian. Both QBs were sacked 5 times each if I remember correctly.
Reply/Quote