Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things Merv SHOULD learn from the Super Bowl
For me it's noteworthy that a team the Bengals beat pretty soundly in 2016 (it was one of their best wins) comes back the next year for a 13-3 record and beats the Putriots with a backup QB. It shows you how anything can happen year-over-year. Since New England is changing all those coaches and Tom Brady can't go on forever, it seems like someone should be able to unseat them. Even their own fans are tired of them.
Reply/Quote
Marv gotta learn his own team first,his self scouting our tendencies for the playoffs is worthless.
Other teams handle us 100 percent in the playoffs thus far.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In regards to having little time remaining in the half, take shots down the field like the Steelers and Patriots. It seems more times than not they get a pass interference penalty and end up coming away with at least a field goal (I actually believe they practice this instead of a stupid draw play to see if they can break one before trying further - which btw everyone knows is coming). I watched Pittsburgh stay aggressive this past year on their own 25 with 17 seconds left before half; ended up getting a pass interference call and scored.
Reply/Quote
A little off-topic, but last night I had a dream that I was watching ESPN (which is nigh impossible through legal means, as Canada doesn't have ESPN) and someone (maybe Dan LeBatard?) who isn't usually on Countdown or anything like that, starts profiling Marv:

"This coach of 15+ seasons, who prefers to be called, "Merv," has..."

You guys are in my head and I want you out! Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 05:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 4) It's not the number of defensive stops that matter as much as WHEN they happen.

What else do you got?

This is not true at all.  A fourth quarter stop is meaningless if you have already given up 63 points.

But just out of curiosity, do you really think the Eagles coaches were not trying to get stops from their defense earlier in the game?  so what exactly is Marvin supposed to learn from the Eagles coaches about this?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 11:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A little off-topic, but last night I had a dream that I was watching ESPN (which is nigh impossible through legal means, as Canada doesn't have ESPN) and someone (maybe Dan LeBatard?) who isn't usually on Countdown or anything like that, starts profiling Marv:

"This coach of 15+ seasons, who prefers to be called, "Merv," has..."

You guys are in my head and I want you out! Sad

So where did "Merv" come from?  I assume it is supposed to be an insult, but I have no idea what "Merv" you are comparing him to.
Reply/Quote
Marvin has admitted to not even watch the super bowls because they aren't in it lol. It's sad isn't it we can look at the eagles who had to play the patriots on hard mode in the super bowl to win. They did everything you can right. They nailed free agency ,they drafted a elite qb ,had a good backup ,and a good team overall.they even traded for a guy,yet they barely got by the patriots in the Superbowl. Like as Bengals fans you can see that will never be us if we have to have all that to succeed,oh yeah aggressive good coaching .
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 05:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What are the things that Merv SHOULD have learned from this past Super Bowl that we know he most likely won't?

1) Don't be afraid to be aggressive.

2) Even if it doesn't lead to a score, you should still try to score when there's only 30 seconds left to go in the half.

3) The offensive line is probably the biggest key to having a good offense.

4) It's not the number of defensive stops that matter as much as WHEN they happen.

What else do you got?

Aggressiveness is definately #1, good job Philhos. :andy:

I will also add sticking to what you know. Pederson was not in his DC's ear even when they were getting torched.
Reply/Quote
The first thing he’s gotta learn is how to get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 05:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What are the things that Merv SHOULD have learned from this past Super Bowl that we know he most likely won't?

2) Even if it doesn't lead to a score, you should still try to score when there's only 30 seconds left to go in the half.

4) It's not the number of defensive stops that matter as much as WHEN they happen.

What else do you got?

two good offensive linemen..another linebacker..and now that marvs imepdiment is gone .. mike browns spy..paul alexander...we should be fine
Reply/Quote

What else do you got?

I agree with you on that one. You just have to be smart with it though. The Falcons tried that too and It backfired on them when they had a big lead.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:26 PM)GodFather Wrote: I got that Starvin' Marvin will continue to do the opposite of your list and giggle about it after...
Sad, but likely true.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 01:59 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: I agree with you on that one. You just have to be smart with it though. The Falcons tried that too and It backfired on them when they had a big lead.

Yeah, it can bite you in the ass, it would just be nice to see some aggressiveness like the Eagles or Falcons here.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 07:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Off of your point 3 get a real center

Haven't had one since Braham. A great one is available in the draft too...but we know Blodine will be back on his back.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Merv is getting ready for this upcoming season and feels he doesn't need to learn anything from what he saw in the Super Bowl, why?

Simply put the things he is preparing for is his responses after the games in 2018...

"We have to do better.."

"We did some good things"

"We need to understand that it's about working through the tough times"

"Do your job. This is a lesson that we needed to learn"

"I think we're doing a lot of giving. I don't know how much taking we're getting to do"

"We got beat by a good football team, we have to do better"
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 11:23 PM)GodFather Wrote: Merv is getting ready for this upcoming season and feels he doesn't need to learn anything from what he saw in the Super Bowl, why?

Simply put the things he is preparing for is his responses after the games in 2018...

"We have to do better.."

"We did some good things"

"We need to understand that it's about working through the tough times"

"Do your job. This is a lesson that we needed to learn"

"I think we're doing a lot of giving. I don't know how much taking we're getting to do"

"We got beat by a good football team, we have to do better"

Sick
Reply/Quote