Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things That Make You Go Hmmm
I'm very much convinced the Brown clan made a secret agreement to be the league doormat in exchange for the riches of owning a team. They have zero interest in a winning team capable of championships and just getting close is as close as they'll ever get.
When teams like the Browns can go 0-16 and other similar records year after year after year you really have to wonder why they can still pay out millions upon millions in salaries instead of going tits up in bankruptcy. The answer isn't nearly as complicated as some want us to believe. It's very simple. It's by agreement to be league doormats in exchange for wealth. Everything else is subterfuge ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 10:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Carson Palmer was a#1 pick and did not start year one, Kitna did so yeah regardless if we draft a QB #1 or #2 overall, he may be holding a clipboard.

Right, but we would need a Kitna on board to do that again.  Dalton isn't going to stick around and Finley isn't Kitna.  Do we get Tannehill or another system guy or are they too pricey?  ZT benched Dalton for Finley after 8 games so if we have a 1st overall pick on the bench the ho-hum vet ahead of him is going to get benched by week 4 I'd wager.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, but we would need a Kitna on board to do that again.  Dalton isn't going to stick around and Finley isn't Kitna.  Do we get Tannehill or another system guy or are they too pricey?  ZT benched Dalton for Finley after 8 games so if we have a 1st overall pick on the bench the ho-hum vet ahead of him is going to get benched by week 4 I'd wager.

This whole set a QB for a year thing...seemed more common 15 years ago too.

I feel like there's a decent amount of young guys that come in and play well. It's a QB friendly league.
Reply/Quote
I gotta admit.. I have a really long list of hmmm items anymore. The bengals don't even make it to the top 500000000 yet..  My hmmm list has actually turned into my well f*ck me list so there's that.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, but we would need a Kitna on board to do that again.  Dalton isn't going to stick around and Finley isn't Kitna.  Do we get Tannehill or another system guy or are they too pricey?  ZT benched Dalton for Finley after 8 games so if we have a 1st overall pick on the bench the ho-hum vet ahead of him is going to get benched by week 4 I'd wager.

Unless Dalton retires he has no choice but to play for the Bengals next year if that's what Mike wants. 

I've been saying it since Dalton was benched, if Ryan tanks they draft a QB #1 and keep Dalton around to mentor the young guy. If the rookie looks good Dalton will be dealt by the trade deadline.  If not then Dalton stays the whole year and walks at the end of next season.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 12:09 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Unless Dalton retires he has no choice but to play for the Bengals next year if that's what Mike wants. 

I've been saying it since Dalton was benched, if Ryan tanks they draft a QB #1 and keep Dalton around to mentor the young guy. If the rookie looks good Dalton will be dealt by the trade deadline.  If not then Dalton stays the whole year and walks at the end of next season.

We shouldn't need to pay Dalton big bucks to be a QB coach since we hired a QB coach to be our HC.  Dalton isn't even a ZT system guy outside of 8 bad games.  Doesn't strike me as a wise investment. 

Finley is cheaper and can take up space and make it look like winning isn't important just fine. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 12:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We shouldn't need to pay Dalton big bucks to be a QB coach since we hired a QB coach to be our HC.  Dalton isn't even a ZT system guy outside of 8 bad games.  Doesn't strike me as a wise investment. 

Finley is cheaper and can take up space and make it look like winning isn't important just fine. 
It's not just about coaching. If the rookie isnt ready to start day one it's nice to have a decent QB so he can be eased in.

Why go out and get another vet that doesn't know the offense when you already have one that does? 

Not to mention you will eat up most if not all of the cap space you save from dropping Dalton to get a decent vet.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 04:07 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: It's not just about coaching. If the rookie isnt ready to start day one it's nice to have a decent QB so he can be eased in.

Why go out and get another vet that doesn't know the offense when you already have one that does? 

Not to mention you will eat up most if not all of the cap space you save from dropping Dalton to get a decent vet.

The fact the Finley is playing/drowning now while a healthy Dalton sits the bench makes me wonder how long ZT would wait before just playing a 1st overall pick.  

So far putting a new QB in is ZT's only noteworthy move.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact the Finley is playing/drowning now while a healthy Dalton sits the bench makes me wonder how long ZT would wait before just playing a 1st overall pick.  

So far putting a new QB in is ZT's only noteworthy move.

I imagine a lot of it would depend on how fast the rookie learns the playbook and how fast he can adjust to the speed of the game. If he's a fast learner he could start day 1. 
Reply/Quote
I think Dalton should be traded for a pick, but I'm not in-bred Mike Brown.

The problem is that every team has to spend to a salary floor. The floor is something like 85 percent of the cap number. Mike hates spending on good free agents. He sucks at it and he doesn't want to win, so f-it, right? Why mention this? Here's why: if Mike keeps Andy's money on the books, that's 14 mil of cap eaten up. It's money he doesn't have to spend elsewhere. it allows him to be the deadbeat piece of crap that he loves being, under the guise of having a mentor for a highly drafted rookie.

Same with AJ. Sign your broken down once great receiver to a 22 mil per year deal. He keeps being a hurt guy and non-contributor. Mike cares not, because he gets his welfare check from the league. Keep eating up cap with crap deals to useless players, just like Preston Brown and Bobby Wet Fart. Justify it by keeping with the "Back to the Future" revive 2015 idiotic narrative.

I can see it all happening, and it would come as no surprise at all.
Reply/Quote