Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things To Do in Cincinnati?
Nobody has a the ultimate authority about what good chili. Cincinnati chili is as good as anyone else’s….

Two big dogs in the city…

https://www.goldstarchili.com/menu?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3eyzCImfBUPZV1f43gZ0-GW4t6fo0FnfMga497G0Uax4_d5d3i9w04gaAhBCEALw_wcB

https://www.skylinechili.com/

LaRossa’s is typical chain Italian food…not bad, but not very good, either.

Here’s a Cincinnati icon for Italian…and it’s downtown…

https://www.scottisitalianrestaurant.com/

Or…

https://nicolasotr.com/

A steak restaurant ICON…nationally renown…..

https://www.jeffruby.com/precinct

Other attractions….

https://freedomcenter.org/
https://thebankscincy.com/
https://myfountainsquare.com/
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Don't ear Larossas. May as well eat your wifes ass. It tastes the same.

So...he should take a big dive then?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Don't ear Larossas. May as well eat your wifes ass. It tastes the same.

Hold on, let me go tell her. We can save some money here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 03:43 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: So...he should take a big dive then?

How do you know what his wife's..... oh, nevermind. LaRosa's was my very first job, other than mowing lawns,etc. Love it as much now as I did then. Have to go to Lexington to get it though. Surely they will open in Louisville soon.
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed the Montgomery Boathouse downtown. Good food. Nice view.

Definitely Skyline over Gold Star.
Reply/Quote

Inquiring minds want to knew if it's too lean or has enough fat to be tender..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm with you there..Not quite into the Skyline mystique.. I am, however a huge fan of Gliers Goetta.. Once you get out of the tristate region it's really hard to find..  Bring your own frying pan and a pound of butter and a carton of eggs.. You won't regret it.  ThumbsUp
My grandmother grew up in the city and had the recipe for great goetta.. She made it every Christmas..That stuff was killer..  Wink  

Good call, I love me some Glier’s Goetta. I won’t touch it if it’s not glier’s. Even if they have their own festival, I don’t think goetta gets enough love. I hate how some people call homemade Goetta, Grits. Goetta is not grits, even if it contains oats. So shut up you hillbillies!

How does everyone prefer to cook their goetta? I prefer it extra crispy and browned up to perfection, but I’ve also been too lazy and had a steaming pile of goo from the microwave. Not ideal, but still not terrible.

Do we need a goetta thread? JK
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:58 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Over The Rhine has done a total 180 in the past 10 years. It's very safe now, even at night (maybe not in the wee hours of the morning). My daughter lives there and she feels very safe.

It’s definitely much better than it used to be, I agree, but I don’t know that I’d call it “very safe.” The majority of the shootings in this city are still always in the same few neighborhoods (OTR, West End, Avondale, etc). I’m not trying to discourage anyone from going down there (I go myself), but you definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. But that’s true anywhere these days.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:58 PM)BengalRed Wrote: The Cincinnati Art Museum is world class if you're into that sort of thing. Also the Union Terminal Museum is really cool. It's an old train station and is a perfect example of art deco. 

^This

Those two are well worth checking out.  The art museum is top notch.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:59 PM)motoarch Wrote: Just be aware that Cincinnati chili isn't 'chili'.

It's a Mediterranean spiced meat sauce by Macedonian immigrants.

It's interesting. I don't like it but lots of people do.

As long as you don't go in expecting a more traditional chili.

It is chili and could be an entrant in a red chili competition where many chilis would not.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:30 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Who on this forum could tell the difference between Skyline and Gold Star if they were served up in unmarked dishes. I couldn't.

In a heartbeat. I don’t hate Goldstar but I like Skyline.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:17 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: Good call, I love me some Glier’s Goetta. I won’t touch it if it’s not glier’s. Even if they have their own festival, I don’t think goetta gets enough love. I hate how some people call homemade Goetta, Grits. Goetta is not grits, even if it contains oats. So shut up you hillbillies!

How does everyone prefer to cook their goetta? I prefer it extra crispy and browned up to perfection, but I’ve also been too lazy and had a steaming pile of goo from the microwave. Not ideal, but still not terrible.

Do we need a goetta thread? JK

In wiki it says 95% of all goetta is purchased in the greater Cincinnati area. Nobody outside of Cincinnati has any idea what it is.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:27 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I know Burrow said there wasn’t anything to do, but I wanted to explore the city a bit in my first time in Cincinnati Big Grin

Flying to Cincinnati since I got tickets to the wild card game. I must try Skyline Chili right?

What are some things to do in the Queen City?

Also don’t know if this is the right section to post it in or not.

I guess the biggest question is are you from like Chicago or Parkersburg? If you’re from a small town, then downtown could probably be pretty cool. If you are from a big city then it would be hard to come up with something unique.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s definitely much better than it used to be, I agree, but I don’t know that I’d call it “very safe.” The majority of the shootings in this city are still always in the same few neighborhoods (OTR, West End, Avondale, etc). I’m not trying to discourage anyone from going down there (I go myself), but you definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. But that’s true anywhere these days.

I get it. Although my daughter lives there I still worry about her. When we visit her I see people talking with each other and I just imagine that there are drug deals going down. And sometimes those deals go badly and people start shooting. So I will always be concerned for her safety. But she loves the convenience of living there. She works at P&G and walks to work every day. When she wants to go to the Banks she just hops on the Connector. She has a car but rarely drives anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 09:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: In wiki it says 95% of all goetta is purchased in the greater Cincinnati area. Nobody outside of Cincinnati has any idea what it is.

I know exactly what it is. I've had it once. There will not be a second time. It's got a cousin in Pennsylvania that's just as bad... Scrapple.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 09:44 PM)jason Wrote: I know exactly what it is. I've had it once. There will not be a second time. It's got a cousin in Pennsylvania that's just as bad... Scrapple.

Scrapple. Pshaw

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 09:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It is chili and could be an entrant in a red chili competition where many chilis would not.

It's not, it's just not
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:45 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Gold star chili instead.

Why not both?
Reply/Quote
From a nostalgia point of view, at one point Cincy had one of greatest restaurants in the country. The Maisonette owned the streak for the longest continuous time with 5 stars in history. It closed in 2005. I got to dine their twice in my life and it was an experience.

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/dining/2014/12/17/remembering-the-maisonette/20520605/
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 09:44 PM)jason Wrote: I know exactly what it is. I've had it once. There will not be a second time. It's got a cousin in Pennsylvania that's just as bad... Scrapple.

Lol scrapple! It has to be called that because similar to goetta, I’m sure it’s made with meat scraps (beef hearts and other assorted goodies) mixed with oat groats. It’s more nostalgia for me. Mom would make it for breakfast as a child. I didn’t touch it for years when I found out it had beef hearts.
Reply/Quote