Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that I think are affecting the Bengals more than people realize...
Hayden Hurst is already proving he’s a far more capable TE than Uzomah

Just an awful take by Tomkat
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:17 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Hayden Hurst is already proving he’s a far more capable TE than Uzomah

Agreed... Hurst > Uzomah
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:22 AM)Tomkat Wrote: 1. The loss of CJ Uzomah (Go back and watch highlights from last year's games and see how many BIG plays he had - I have yet to see that from any of this year's TEs.)
2. Burrows appendix surgery resulting in loss of pre-season prep.
3. The loss of Ogunjobi

Things need fixed... fast.

Discuss.

Hurst is much better than CJ - everyone of CJs drops were balls he had to catch with his hands outside his body.  We have seen Hayden make great catches already.  If Joe would have thrown to Hayden when he was wide open in the seam vs Pitt this statement would never be made.

Hurst is one of the bright spots, only Bengals fans overvalue CJ - he doesnt even start for the Jets.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Agreed... Hurst > Uzomah

Yea, that one really makes no sense. Especially given the crazy catch he made in game one. Somehow we're supposed to compare a 20 game season to 2 games in a new offense? 

To make it even worse, Hurst had more catches and more yards in game 1 than Uzamah did in the 1st 3 games combined. 
Reply/Quote
Burrow tore his ACL and MCL, had some initial rust, but conquered enough of it to make plays when needed. He's not doing that here.

I think people are overstating the role his appendix surgery is having. It's something else.
Reply/Quote
I think because of the offensive success from last year
ZT,BC and JB to a point developed a bit
Of arrogance and over confidence going
Into this year.
I see a lack of building upon last years offense
It feels like ZT and BC got complacent
Where are the new wrinkles at ?
I don't see it.
Chris Evans has yet to see the field
I don't see uptempo unless the offense is in
Score now mode.
Passing out of 2 TE sets...nada.
Quick pitch to Mixon to get him to edge faster
Nope. I see slow developing outside zone rube
For 1 yd.
I see I offense that has been punched in mouth
And ZT , JB have no counter for it.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:39 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Burrow tore his ACL and MCL, had some initial rust, but conquered enough of it to make plays when needed. He's not doing that here.

I think people are overstating the role his appendix surgery is having. It's something else.

Agree with this. 

The missed training camp reps don't help...but he came back from worse last year. Dude is just shook out there. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:58 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Taylor is in over his head.

Ha ha so silly
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Our problem is teams are playing a soft zone deep cover two. They want 19 play drives. We have to be able to break 20 yard runs. We have to get Joe to be more decisive right off the bat.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Ha ha so silly

Yeah the play calling is silly. 
Reply/Quote
For me, its lack of preseason snaps for the offensively offensive line. The one group that REALLY needs snaps together early and often is the OLine. I was fired up when Pollack came back, but I’m starting to really sour on the guy. At what point, after you’ve thrown multiple draft picks and salary capital at the problem, does it become a coaching issue? Players suited for power schemes playing WZ? Square pegs, round holes. We’ve been doing it for years in one way or another, why stop now?
Reply/Quote
ZT costs us 3 pts a game. At least.

Yesterday it was the end of the first half. He called a TO with us staring at 3rd & 9. We failed to convert, & Dallas had just enough time, & TOs, to get a FG. If he oets the clock run, or forces them to spend a TO, they likely do not have enogh time for a FG.

We had 3 pts at the time and Burrow had already taken 6 sacks and just funbled. Parsons was killing us. A conversion seemed unlikely to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:17 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Hayden Hurst is already proving he’s a far more capable TE than Uzomah

(09-19-2022, 11:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Agreed... Hurst > Uzomah

Granted, I haven't watched every snap of weeks 1 and 2, but I'm still waiting for a "breakout" game by Hurst.
Comparing 2 games by Hurst to 20 games of Uzomah, or stats through the first 2 games is meaningless.

We can't wait for Hurst's production to catch up to Uzomah's - it needs to be equal, now, or else it is a "drop-off" and an immediate negative impact.
One "great" catch doesn't do it.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:35 AM)TheFan Wrote: Yea, that one really makes no sense. Especially given the crazy catch he made in game one. Somehow we're supposed to compare a 20 game season to 2 games in a new offense? 

To make it even worse, Hurst had more catches and more yards in game 1 than Uzamah did in the 1st 3 games combined. 

Irrelevant.  Unless Hurst immediately provides the same production as Uzomah did last season, (which he hasn't - 1 great catch doesn't do it) then he's a "drop-off/negative impact" thus far, and my original statement still stands.

I'm not saying he won't eventually get there, but he hasn't yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:17 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Granted, I haven't watched every snap of weeks 1 and 2, but I'm still waiting for a "breakout" game by Hurst.
Comparing 2 games by Hurst to 20 games of Uzomah, or stats through the first 2 games is meaningless.

We can't wait for Hurst's production to catch up to Uzomah's - it needs to be equal, now, or else it is a "drop-off" and an immediate negative impact.
One "great" catch doesn't do it.

I think it’s best if you stop giving your opinion on Hayden Hurst
Reply/Quote
Things that I think are affecting the Bengals more than people realize...

Getting out coached in all phases of the game. OL looks and a coach who needs to be replaced. The Bengals D for a second week in a row letting the opposing offense march down the field for a game winning kick. Zac's horrific play calling and game management. I just see a guy who looks like he just is a deer in the road with the headlights on. He is clearly out of his league. Defensive line again not getting enough pressures and sacks. Wait till we play an elite QB cause the defense was making Rush look like another Pro Bowler. He had better numbers than Burrow after yesterday's game.

Pathetic, and it won't stop against the Jets next week either. So many broken things, that arent getting fixed anytime soon.
Reply/Quote

He might be but there's a heck of alot more that goes into "is so and so better" than what you think. Who is the better blocker? Who sells out better prior to running their route? Who is a better route runner? Is Hurst taking it upon himself to help out other blockers and chip when needed? Who is a better leader? Who is a better take charge guy? Who communicates better? Just alot of intangibles as well that go into a position.

I got no dog in the fight here as I really like both guys but I think it's a bit early to judge the total impact that Hurst has in the TE position compared to to what CJ brought especially last year.
Reply/Quote
Joey b doesn't look himself.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:19 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Irrelevant.  Unless Hurst immediately provides the same production as Uzomah did last season, (which he hasn't - 1 great catch doesn't do it) then he's a "drop-off/negative impact" thus far, and my original statement still stands.

I'm not saying he won't eventually get there, but he hasn't yet.

What does that even mean? He literally has provided more production through the first 2 games then CJ did through thr first 3 games. It's not even arguable. The stats are what they are. 

If you're going to try to say none of his catches were as important or something weird like that he had 2 catches for 30 yards on what should have been the game winning field goal against the Steelers. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:13 PM)TheFan Wrote: What does that even mean? He literally has provided more production through the first 2 games then CJ did through thr first 3 games. It's not even arguable. The stats are what they are. 

If you're going to try to say none of his catches were as important or something weird like that he had 2 catches for 30 yards on what should have been the game winning field goal against the Steelers. 

It means that unless Hurst starts having break-out games with clutch catches/TD's - then he's a DOWNGRADE from Uzomah... SO FAR.
Your last sentence is a great example of a good counter-argument.

However, it is clear that Burrow doesn't have the same "connection" with Hurst as he did with Uzomah... YET.

I'm not saying it's the ONLY reason the Offense is struggling, I'm just saying it's ONE, UNDERRATED reason, thus the thread.
Reply/Quote