Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things were so bad with Ross
(12-11-2017, 04:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I guess we didnt scout the guy at all. We just went entirely off of his 40 time. 

What an absolute joke. I wonder if the pick came from the top (very top) or if Marvin wanted the guy. 

I hope it was Marvin to be honest. Because if they get a new head coach while the same people are still there making decisions like that or drafting CedO on IR, then what hope is there really going forward.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He must look terrible in practice.

Sure is night and day from Training Camp where everyone was raving about his quickness.

BTW, Ross did play Corner some in college even if this was a joke by giggles.
Reply/Quote
Regardless on whether or not you liked the pick, you have to admit this was tough to see coming. If you polled these boards in May and asked if people thought Ross would end with 0 catches and would be so bad the Bengals would consider a move to CB, no one would've said that. People were more worried about injuries and not needing a WR (which I still strongly disagree with).

The scouting reports all said he ran good routes (every route in the tree), had great hands, amazing producer, and universally mocked AT LEAST in the top 20 of every mock I looked at (I looked at a bunch). On paper, he sounded like everything we've needed opposite AJ. Shame he's turning into an insta-bust.

Btw, not surprised that Marv would want to turn Ross into yet another 1st round CB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hey, we are the Bengals.  How does any of this not surprise you?  Did you not read the fine print when you signed up to be a fan of this franchise?  This is how we do things around here.  Our owner is Ebenezer Scrooge, our FO consists of a dead Marley, our scouting department is made up of 3 dead ghosts and our head coach is Bob Cratchit, over worked, under paid and under appreciated who's cashed it in already.  and We, the fans, are Tiny Tim.  

I just don't see a Christmas miracle tonight or even in the near future for us.  Our goose is cooked.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I can only recall two first-rounders that I really liked as prospects that ended up being true busts: Trent Richardson and Justin Gilbert.
John Ross was my favorite WR in the draft last year and I thought he was a can't-miss prospect as long as injuries didn't keep him off the field.
Because of that, I refuse to say John Ross is a true bust just yet. I'll reevaluate after Year 3.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 04:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can only recall two first-rounders that I really liked as prospects that ended up being true busts: Trent Richardson and Justin Gilbert.
John Ross was my favorite WR in the draft last year and I thought he was a can't-miss prospect as long as injuries didn't keep him off the field.
Because of that, I refuse to say John Ross is a true bust just yet. I'll reevaluate after Year 3.

Same here, thought Ross would be just what we needed. Hard to judge any of these guys with this coaching staff,
especially Ross who never got a chance. As Shake said, he had great hands in college, ran all the routes, was one of
the best redzone threats and was great in open space.

I think another HC could get something out of him.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 04:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, thought Ross would be just what we needed. Hard to judge any of these guys with this coaching staff,
especially Ross who never got a chance. As Shake said, he had great hands in college, ran all the routes, was one of
the best redzone threats and was great in open space.

I think another HC could get something out of him.

The small and injury history thing were my worries.

I read that Michael Lombardi called his medicals 'Terrible'.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 05:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The small and injury history thing were my worries.

I read that Michael Lombardi called his medicals 'Terrible'.

Hard to put stock into his evaluations given he only lasted one season as Browns GM and partly responsible for this draft class...
Barkevious Mingo
Leon McFadden
Jamoris Slaughter
Armonty Bryant
Garrett Gilkey
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
John Ross just turned 22. He has had an incredibly disappointing rookie year, but only because he didn't get a shot. He wasn't on the field a lot playing terribly. He is still an enigma as far as what he can do. We are all overreacting, because truthfully, none of us have a clue what this kids future will look like. And John Ross wasn't going to come in and save this season. Let's see in year 3 how he's playing, and hope the rebuild is complete then. Then his play will REALLY matter
Reply/Quote
Atypical franchise ineptitude from the genius mind of Mike Brown.

27 years of failure.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:27 PM)Synric Wrote: This was a joke from Marvin Lewis. They were asking him about the beat up secondary after asking him why Ross still isn't on the field...

This ^^^

This is simply a terrible job of “reporting.” It was clearly a joke Marvin made about how we were so beat up at CB. I have not seen or heard anything to suggest he was actually being considered at CB. This is a lot to do about nothing.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:33 PM)WhoDeyandtheBlowFish Wrote: You all need to do some research.

This came from a presser where Lewis was laughing about Ross taking snaps at CB because they had so many injuries in the secondary.

The John Ross fiasco is yet another example of Lewis utter incompetence though.

Yes, but Mikey is still imposing his will and making terrible decisions.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 05:28 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This ^^^

This is simply a terrible job of “reporting.” It was clearly a joke Marvin made about how we were so beat up at CB. I have not seen or heard anything to suggest he was actually being considered at CB. This is a lot to do about nothing.

True, but it sure does make for some interesting board conversation from a generally salty fan base..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Ross has to fix Ross First... He has to learn the playbook.. Get and Stay Healthy and practice well to contribute... If he cant do those things I don't want him on the field regaurdless of who is coaching.

New coach = New playbook = No John Ross again in 2018. The cycle continues!
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see Ross under another coach.

I'm not buying that this guy can't contribute at leas as much a Boyd.

Boyd is the one starting to look like a bust in his sophomore season.

I would guess that with Ross' previous injury maybe he's not doing well on special teams.

If he can't play ST that might be keeping him off of the field.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/11/16764206/bengals-confirm-john-ross-defensive-back-nfl-news-2017

Yup, it was a "joke". Not

If you didnt see the ross bust coming, i mean come on. You dont take a wr in the top 10 who is not even 6 foot tall and 180 pounds soaking wet. The odds arent in your favor. The WRs you take in the top 10 are built like julio jones, aj green, calvin johnson, etc.

Ross had a terrible history of injury in college playing with KIDS. What do you think is going to happen when he gets on the field with grown men???

The ross pick was our worst pick in the past 5 years AT LEAST. And i think everyone knew that.... they were just amazed by his 40 time. Which btw, he literally hurt himself running a 40 yard dash. And we drafted him.

Marvin was right on this one. Mike brown loses again.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 04:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can only recall two first-rounders that I really liked as prospects that ended up being true busts: Trent Richardson and Justin Gilbert.

I hated the pick, but it's waaaaay too early to call Ross a bust.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote