Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you dislike about the NFL
At this point i think it would be easier and faster to state the thing i do like about the NFL with the obvious being the Cincinnati Bengals as imagined and created by Paul Brown.

Everything else is being ruined.

Anyway

I hate bias. We had a really good crew calling our game yesterday - the very definition of unbiased. We need more guys like these.

We need to let the defense play, see last nights game for example. Da Bears shut the Rams down. Defense still wins championships AND is fun to watch.

The freaking rules. I still don't understand them. Stop changing the rules every damn game (bias)

Fire all of the officials.

Again i could go on and on but basically i'm just here out of habit for holding on to Paul's dream.

Reply/Quote
I dislike:
1) Certain plays can't be reviewed.
2) Reviews are not done from a third-party who doesn't know what the call on the field was, but rather if it's just enough clear evidence to overturn and the refs get to make that determination.
3) Penalties are not the same yardage for offense vs defense (e.g. pass interference).
4) Offense can false start (why not allow them to move and just have offsides for offense like it is for defense?)

Basically my entire dislike with NFL is the officiating... Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The fact that BS calls get overlooked because we are an irrelevant team. I check the NFL website to see if they discuss the Driskel play and alas, nothing. Yet there is a main headline for a controversial call in the Philly-Dallas game.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Whoo boy.

1. Roger Goodell/NFL owners - Goodell has really made the NFL feel like WWE at times. Telling fans to bring on the boo's was clown show stuff.
2. The over-emphasis on offense has cheapened the game. Mahomes is awesome, but would he be throwing for 5000 yards and 50 TD's 10 years ago?
3. Politics (this seems to be dying down, thankfully)
4. The NFL seems to have more "grey area" rules than any other sport. Rules that can conveniently be interpreted any way the ref decides.
5. The parody myth. I don't feel like looking it up again, but something like 7 teams (Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Broncos, 49ers) have won over half of all Super Bowls. While many teams (around 8-10) haven't won even 1.

I could go on, but those are the 5 that jump out to me.
The parody myth is real. It's a parody of what football should be.  Pairity is really fake .
The part that bothers me the most is the attempted illusion that the game isn't rigged .
It's become almost pure theatrics anymore and  the league decides who will win and who will lose with the ridiculous so called officiating.
When one team can break the rules with near complete impunity while others are penalized out of contention you know the game is rigged.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:19 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: 1.  How about when someone makes a routine tackle they get up and celebrate like they never tackled anyone before.  Hey, you are a professional and act like you been there before.  Get up and walk back to huddle.

2.  Instant reply.  I hate it the way the NFL does it.  Either do it like either College and the CFL or don't do it.  In the CFL you can challenge almost anything including pass interference.

3.  The slow elimination of the kickoff

4.  Horrible officiating.  The NFL has become the NBA where the "superstars" don't get the same calls as the average players.  It is all for the ratings

5.  Goodell has ruined the NFL as it was once known

6.  Thursday games

7.  Games in London

8.  The over emphasis on the offense and hurting defenses

9.  Encroachment of politics into the game

10.  The political correctness so many examples I can give because I will be crucified on this board

11.  Mike Brown and how he runs the Bengals.  Step down Mike Brown!

I agree with just about everything.

No need to be politically correct though. I never am. PC is just a way of suppressing free speech and f the ***** if they can't take it. Their feelings are their own fault, not mine.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The NFL is the highest level of the greatest sport on earth.

I have personal reasons to agree with you in this regard, but this is an overstatement.

Maybe in the next 30 years, that may become true. But at this point it is Soccer.
Reply/Quote
Gotta disagree with Fred that NBA basketball is simple. You'd only think that if you have no real knowledge of the game. Their defense can be every bit as complex as the NFL if not more so, with the complex zones, switching and screens.

They run offensive plays and do so on the fly, with the game not stopping after every play, ala the NFL.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
1.) Commercials do we really need one after every change of possession. My God you can take half of them out and the game would have a much faster paste.
2.) Offensive coaches taking all the credit for the Offensive explosion. The Cheifs and Rams have super teams yet the coaches only get the credit.
3.) Mahomes can't stand the guy.
4.) NFL Twitter; is it okay to like anything.
5.) Medias coverage of Kaepernick either way you look at it.
6.)Mike Brown
7.) Lack of international competition.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
By far for me it's all the penalties ! Every year they add a dozen new rules and rewrite another two dozen. They've all but made the NFL unwatchable favoring the offense so much. Who the hell even knows what the rules are ?

Maybe 25 or 30 % of the games on a given week are decent games. The rest are all just flag fests, 25, 30, or more penalty flags thrown. Every punt they should just forget throwing flags and automatically mark off 10 yards, it's pathetic.

They're totally ruining the game
Reply/Quote
I hate that ownership is guaranteed mint regardless of outcome for however long. Once an owner is in, they’re golden. Poor management decisions don’t matter and won’t make an owner have to earn staying in the league. The majority of players are hotdogs with attitude, rule changes usually suck, teams aren’t treated equally, the money is crazy, outcomes of games are probably decided by who bet what and how much can be made from Vegas spreads. It’s like baseball or music or anything anymore, nothing is as good as it was in it’s golden period.
Reply/Quote
Reffing killed the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's do a thread about what we dislike. I'll begin.

I hate when a receiver gets the ball thrown to him and gets up and acts like he throws a flag and looks at the officials. It seems like 50% of incomplete passes that happens on.

As far as kickoffs and punts, it seems like most of those plays have penalties too.

Agree with most of what has been posted previously but a few extra random ones for me..

1. PED's  

I  know for some of this board/NFL fans they are cool or at least accepting with this practice.  I think its a very slippery slope and once you start to question the integrity of the performances you are seeing then you are no longer watching sport but WWE...plus the longer term health issues with fit guys dying young - 4 game bans do nothing.

2. Advertising on every damn thing to do with the NFL

Look i know the NFL more than ever is a commercial behemoth but is everything up for sale?   I'm old school and don't like stadium naming rights so kudos for the Bengals on this at least.  Every damn break in the game is brought you by Lowe's or Lexus or Papa Johns...etc.etc.

3. Less grass fields

like i said I'm old school  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 11:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gotta disagree with Fred that NBA basketball is simple. You'd only think that if you have no real knowledge of the game. Their defense can be every bit as complex as the NFL if not more so, with the complex zones, switching and screens.

They run offensive plays and do so on the fly, with the game not stopping after every play, ala the NFL.

I am big NBA fan.  I don't want to diminish how complicated their game is, but it is still just five guys who can all shoot pass and dribble, the NFL is 11 guys in a much larger space with much more complicated rules regarding which player can do what.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 11:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gotta disagree with Fred that NBA basketball is simple. You'd only think that if you have no real knowledge of the game. Their defense can be every bit as complex as the NFL if not more so, with the complex zones, switching and screens.

They play defense in the NBA?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 06:37 PM)sandwedge Wrote: They play defense in the NBA?

If they like to win, they do.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me the only thing they could do to improve the NFL is to make players play both ways.  The violent physical nature of football tests the will of the players more than any other sport.  Skill is the most important element, but in combat sports like football and boxing sheer determination and will power are required to function under pain and physical duress.  I'd love to see the same 22 guys stay on the field trading blows on both offense and defense.

That would be very cool actually. I wonder what that would mean for guys like Brady or Newton. What positions would they play and how would it change how they play.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am big NBA fan.  I don't want to diminish how complicated their game is, but it is still just five guys who can all shoot pass and dribble, the NFL is 11 guys in a much larger space with much more complicated rules regarding which player can do what.

What NBA Teams do you like?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 09:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What NBA Teams do you like?

I am a nuggets fan but not a recent bandwagon guy. I lived in denver a few years in the early 90's. 

So during the 90's both my favorite nfl and nba teams were abysmal .
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am big NBA fan.  I don't want to diminish how complicated their game is, but it is still just five guys who can all shoot pass and dribble, the NFL is 11 guys in a much larger space with much more complicated rules regarding which player can do what.

Well when you put it that way...

I will say this: Basketball used to have 5 very different positions with very different roles. These days the game is all about the 3 ball and roles are much more vague and not so defined. As a big NBA fan, it's been disappointing to say the least. Like the NFL, they have put all the emphasis on offense. Money ruins everything. Or I suppose you could blame casual fans.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 09:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What NBA Teams do you like?

Myself I was a big Sonics fan and of course when I move to the Great Northwest, the Sonics move to Oklahoma.... But hey, we now have a NHL Team coming!!! 
Reply/Quote