Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Think Changing LT is all we need to fix the line??? Think again...
Fisher and Bodine are actually WORSE than Ced. And Johnson and Boling haven't been much better:

Thus far, through 2 games:

Fisher grades out at 36.6.
Bodine grades out at 38.5.
Ogbuehi grades out at 38.6.
TJ Johnson grades out at 43.7.
Clint Boling grades out at 44.7.

https://twitter.com/pff_cincinnati

Our offensive line is terrible. Even Boling is bad.
Reply/Quote
The fix for this is going to be more extensive than just drafting a new LT. We essentially may need 5 new offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to give Boling the benefit of the doubt for now. We've seen he can be an above average guard. Maybe he's slow to come back from his shoulder injury.

The rest do need replaced. It's why I spent the entire offseason laughing (crying) that they left Whit go, ignored FA as usual, and then wasted their first and second round picks on a WR and RB. Then people actually thought the team would be any good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It's what I've said all offseason...we're starting 4 backup caliber players on the offensive line.

Quite simply put...no OC is going to be able to make up for this fundamental lack of talent on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fisher and Bodine are actually WORSE than Ced. And Johnson and Boling haven't been much better:

Seriously, how does Paul Alexander still have a job? Boling bad is also disturbing as he is paid a lot of money and seems to have regressed since contract #2 signed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's what I've said all offseason...we're starting 4 backup caliber players on the offensive line.

Quite simply put...no OC is going to be able to make up for this fundamental lack of talent on the offensive line.

Sorry, based on those numbers Boling also is a back up performer.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sorry, based on those numbers Boling also is a back up performer.

Agreed. They are all terrible by a long shot.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fisher and Bodine are actually WORSE than Ced. And Johnson and Boling haven't been much better:

I'm hoping for some improvement with the new OC.  Last year, the whole OL took a big step back with Zampese in charge.  This year, the only time they look good is in the hurry up, so you would think that with a stout and deep defense, we would run more hurry up to help out the OL.  I mean, a 6-7 play drive in the hurry up is going to give the D as much or more rest than a normal 3 and out.  We've got the RB's to platoon.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm hoping for some improvement with the new OC.  Last year, the whole OL took a big step back with Zampese in charge.  This year, the only time they look good is in the hurry up, so you would think that with a stout and deep defense, we would run more hurry up to help out the OL.  I mean, a 6-7 play drive in the hurry up is going to give the D as much or more rest than a normal 3 and out.  We've got the RB's to platoon.

It had nothing to do with Zampese. It had to do with having a terrible Center and allowing Ced and Fisher to play.

The OC isn't the one that handles the blocking schemes...that's Paul Alexander the line coach.

And I doubt that the playbook changes much. The plays that get called in a game may change slightly...but the overall plays they pick from will be the same.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The fix for this is going to be more extensive than just drafting a new LT. We essentially may need 5 new offensive lineman.

(09-18-2017, 12:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's what I've said all offseason...we're starting 4 backup caliber players on the offensive line.

This.  We need a complete overhaul.  anything short of that and we as fans can expect more of the same.  wash, rinse, repeat.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:43 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This.  We need a complete overhaul.  anything short of that and we as fans can expect more of the same.  wash, rinse, repeat.

Yep. And with their lack of spending in free agency...it's unrealistic to expect these to all be fixed via the draft we've hit our worst case scenario.

We have more holes than we can patch in any 1 or 2 drafts.

We'll likely try to sign guys like Travelle Wharton that end up not producing much here.
Reply/Quote
to put things in perspective. Seahawks until 9 and some change in the 4th quarter scored their first TD of the season. Meanwhile they have faced the defensive juggernauts of 49ers and Packers. I would argue seahawks line is worse than ours
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:04 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: to put things in perspective. Seahawks until 9 and some change in the 4th quarter scored their first TD of the season. Meanwhile they have faced the defensive juggernauts of 49ers and Packers. I would argue seahawks line is worse than ours

Well there you go. No need for any changes since we're not the absolute worst offensive line in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well there you go. No need for any changes since we're not the absolute worst offensive line in the NFL.

I'm not convinced their defense is better than ours with Burfict playing either that still gives me a glimmer of hope we can turn this around
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It had nothing to do with Zampese. It had to do with having a terrible Center and allowing Ced and Fisher to play.

The OC isn't the one that handles the blocking schemes...that's Paul Alexander the line coach.

And I doubt that the playbook changes much. The plays that get called in a game may change slightly...but the overall plays they pick from will be the same.

Wait. 

You're saying the OC (the guy that designs the plays and tells everyone else on offense what they are supposed to do) has nothing to do with how his own play designs are are blocked up by the offensive line TEs and Running backs?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Wait. 

You're saying the OC (the guy that designs the plays and tells everyone else on offense what they are supposed to do) has nothing to do with how his own play designs are are blocked up by the offensive line TEs and Running backs?

Yes. The offensive line coach designs the blocking scheme. The Bengals play a passive line scheme where they let the defensive lineman engage them. That won't change.

Now the OC may call plays like screens that don't let the defense rush as much. They may call short, quick passes. There are things they can do from a playcalling perspective that negates the rush.

Just like when the offense calls certain plays people criticize Marvin. He doesn't call the offensive plays. That's the OC.

Everyone has a role.
Reply/Quote
It hasn't helped confidence playing 2 of the top 5 defensive line in football either. We have 2 more Ravens again and Broncos
Reply/Quote
The thing that could be different with a new offensive coordinator. Last 18 games redzone offense has been trash. That's where a competent coordinator can improve the offense
Reply/Quote
No way are the Ravens a top 5 defensive line.

And Seattle turning things around has nothing to do with us turning things around.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. The offensive line coach designs the blocking scheme. The Bengals play a passive line scheme where they let the defensive lineman engage them. That won't change.

Now the OC may call plays like screens that don't let the defense rush as much. They may call short, quick passes. There are things they can do from a playcalling perspective that negates the rush.

Just like when the offense calls certain plays people criticize Marvin. He doesn't call the offensive plays. That's the OC.

Everyone has a role.

The OC still designs the plays...he tells who is going to be on the field for each specific play. He tells thr offensive line TES and RBs who they need to block chip double team etc...all of the offense runs on his playbook. He doesn't just call plays...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote