Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Think Changing LT is all we need to fix the line??? Think again...
(09-18-2017, 01:27 PM)Synric Wrote: The OC still designs the plays...he tells who is going to be on the field for each specific play. He tells thr offensive line TES and RBs who they need to block chip double team etc...all of the offense runs on his playbook. He doesn't just call plays...

re: The RB and TE's chipping: All 5 of our lineman have been terrible so far. Who do you chip?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No way are the Ravens a top 5 defensive line.

And Seattle turning things around has nothing to do with us turning things around.

they dominated the browns up front better than us. browns are supposed to have strong offensive line. The Steelers didn't dominate Browns like that.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: they dominated the browns up front better than us. browns are supposed to have strong offensive line. The Steelers didn't dominate Browns like that.

So you think that our offensive line isn't bad and that it was just bad matchups?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: The RB and TE's chipping: All 5 of our lineman have been terrible so far. Who do you chip?

Usually the Defensive End or Outside Linebacker...it's alot harder to chip interior defensive linemen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Usually the Defensive End or Outside Linebacker...it's alot harder to chip interior defensive linemen.

So you help 1 guy and the other 4 still are terrible. Fisher has actually graded out worse than Ced so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you think that our offensive line isn't bad and that it was just bad matchups?

Yes and No it's below average but  our  early schedule has done us no favors. It's a blessing that Burfict was suspended we would be 2-0 and still stuck with Zampeze
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Yes and No it's below average but  our  early schedule has done us no favors. It's a blessing that Burfict was suspended we would be 2-0 and still stuck with Zampeze

There is no way we would be 2-0 with Burfict. You vastly overrate him. With him, we're 1-1 at best and likely still 0-2.

We had a below average offensive line last year...and lost our 2 best players. We now have a bad line.

I think you're a bit in denial about how bad the team is.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is no way we would be 2-0 with Burfict. You vastly overrate him. With him, we're 1-1 at best and likely still 0-2.

We had a below average offensive line last year...and lost our 2 best players. We now have a bad line.

I think you're a bit in denial about how bad the team is.

You really think we would be held without a touchdown by the saints colts Bears browns etc....
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:45 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You really think we would be held without a touchdown by the saints colts Bears browns etc....

Does it matter? We're 0-2. We lost to BOTH TEAMS we played...after people on the board were saying we'd start 2-0.

IF we can't beat a poor Ravens Team, or a Texans team without BOTH of their starting QB's, their WR2, 3 TE's, and their starting Tackle...HOW GOOD are we?

When we lose, I don't take solace in the fact that there are some pathetic teams in the NFL that we likely could have beat had we hypothetically played them that day.

The goal is to win a Super Bowl...not debate whether we are the 31st best team in the NFL or the 28th best team.
Reply/Quote
Ehem.. See loss leader by design.. They had been winning too many games and we can't have that and still be a loss leader.. 
As a business their goal isn't to win championships, it's to make money and lots of it.
As soon as this team goes bankrupt I'll start believing otherwise, but as long as they can get others to build and pay for their house and get paid to live in it there's no reason to care if they win, lose or draw.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 01:04 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: to put things in perspective. Seahawks until 9 and some change in the 4th quarter scored their first TD of the season. Meanwhile they have faced the defensive juggernauts of 49ers and Packers. I would argue seahawks line is worse than ours

To be fair to the Seahawks, their problems are partially injury related. They didn't plan on this current starting 5, the Bengals did (except the Hopkins injury)

I think if the coaching staff wanted to light a fire under these players they'd make a couple of changes. I'd put Johnson at C, Westerman in at RG and Smith in at RT, maybe give Fisher a shot at LT.

Not sure how dedicated Ced and Fisher were to improving when they were basically handed starting positions with no competition and no previous good play to suggest they deserve them, outside of their draft status.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals could have been on the right track in a very small way until Trey Hopkins got hurt. Substitute TJ at C instead of Bodine, with Trey and Boling at G, and you have a net gain. That still leaves the big holes at OT, and the Bengals have no good solution for that. Sometimes you gotta roll with what ya got, even when what ya got ain't good enough.
Reply/Quote
If our line looks as bad against packers as it did the opening 2 weeks ill panic. but if looks better and stays better with the exception of the broncos game and the ravens rematch I will say its been a bit of an over reaction about how bad our line truly is. firing Zampese was the best thing that could have happened with this franchise. regardless of the 0 -2 start. He was worse than Bratkowski. I cant remember the last time I seen a slant over the middle or post to the tight end.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals can't feasibly replace Ogbuehi, Bodine, Fisher, and RG in one offseason without ignoring some other position.
The Bengals only have $18 mill in cap space for 2018. They can free up $5 mill for MJ, $6 mill for Adam Jones, and $13.9 mill for Andy Dalton if cut though.
If the Bengals cut Dalton, they'll be drafting a QB high.

If the Bengals can upgrade LT, C, and either RG or RT, I'm confident the line can be respectable again.

EDIT - The Bengals likely will also reserve some money to extend Dunlap and/or Atkins next offseason, which could limit what will actually be spent too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals can't feasibly replace Ogbuehi, Bodine, Fisher, and RG in one offseason without ignoring some other position.
The Bengals only have $18 mill in cap space for 2018. They can free up $5 mill for MJ, $6 mill for Adam Jones, and $13.9 mill for Andy Dalton if cut though.
If the Bengals cut Dalton, they'll be drafting a QB high.

If the Bengals can upgrade LT, C, and either RG or RT, I'm confident the line can be respectable again.

They'll never sign 5 new lineman. The best you can hope for is 1 or 2. They'll likely draft a Center as you can get them in the 3rd Round and HOPE he pans out.

I really don't know what they'll do at Tackle. I'm not convinced they'll move on from Ced and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The fix for this is going to be more extensive than just drafting a new LT. We essentially may need 5 new offensive lineman.

Minnesota did that this year............. they are literally starting 5 new Olineman this year.

Might not be such a bad idea with the guys on our field grading out way below average.

This is no doubt in my mind the Bengals have the worst Oline in the league, and a massive overhaul needs to happen.
Reply/Quote
Everyone calling for 5 new linemen should just take a breath. A change in OL coach could do wonders with the stooges that we currently have, at least enough to get us through the season. Sure, you'd like to allow the new guy to make some immediate changes, but the "bums on the street" list is pretty picked over, at this point.

Simply put, a man that preaches aggressive execution of proper technique, and holds players accountable, would make a night and day difference. See, at least a new face would feel the pressure to prove his worth. Compared to our current situation, where the incumbent feels comfortable and is complacent.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
With Eifert injured again I say move on and sign a Center and RT in Free agency, draft a LT with our top 3 pick (this is a good year to draft one). Who really needs a contract extension now that Burfict is taken care of? This can't be fixed in one draft alone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fisher and Bodine are actually WORSE than Ced. And Johnson and Boling haven't been much better:

Thus far, through 2 games:

Fisher grades out at 36.6.
Bodine grades out at 38.5.
Ogbuehi grades out at 38.6.
TJ Johnson grades out at 43.7.
Clint Boling grades out at 44.7.

https://twitter.com/pff_cincinnati

Our offensive line is terrible. Even Boling is bad.

Queue the Paul Alexander supporters to bring out old PFF rankings stating how great the lines have been in the past and we have it all wrong when it comes to the Piano Man.  
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sorry, based on those numbers Boling also is a back up performer.

Well, can having crap on both sides of you bring down your level of play?

Was he better with Whit next to him?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote