Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think NFL officials are bad? So does Joey Bosa
So, we've had our fair share of complaints about missed calls, bad calls, bad missed calls, etc. Well, afte rlast night's game, Joey Bosa had A LOT to say about officiating in the NFL (keep in mind, his team WON).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-joey-bosa-rips-nfl-officiating-after-win-over-raiders-theyre-blind-and-its-pathetic/

Quote:"I didn't even know they called the f---ing penalty on me because I was fuming," Bosa said of the sequence after the game, via ESPN. "But, I mean, refs are blind, simple. I'm sorry, but you're blind, like open your eyes and do your job. It's so bad it's unbelievable."

Quote:He'd then go on to explain his anger isn't simply from that situation, or that game, or this week, or this year, or even exclusive to his team. Bosa views it as a plague of bad calls and non-calls that is becoming deeply rooted in the fabric of the NFL.

Quote:The inaccuracy of calls has led to enough ire for many to demand the invocation of a SkyJudge with the power to make sure every call is correct upon review -- something made famous by the now-defunct XFL -- but the NFL has opted to not go that route.

Personally, I think for the most part, the refs have done a decent job THIS YEAR, but there have still been some missed calls or bad calls in our games THIS YEAR. And I know there have been a lot of suggestions on how to approve officiating. Clearly, the league is open to SOME ideas (remember how pass interference was able to be reviewed via coach's challenge?) but not others.

So, the question is - and I'm assuming most will agree somewhat with Bosa that the officiating in the NFL is not good enough - what can be done to get officiating to be the best it can be? Does having a SkyJudge help (didn't watch the new XFL so I can't comment on it)? Review of more penalties? Technological advances that the average fan doesn't know about?

Or is Bosa completely wrong and what we got is the best we can ever get?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Testify Joey...

He's right. The fact that he's not only speaking on what happened to him last night speaks volumes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
they have been hurting the game for a while and have way to much influence....

But the NFL has a gage order on players so expect joey to get a fine
Reply/Quote
Quote:I'm sorry, but you're blind, like open your eyes and do your job. It's so bad it's unbelievable.

This quote is outstanding and should be sold on a t-shirt.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Make the refs full time, with full training and testing all year long. Also put in regular reviews where if you blow enough calls you lose your job. And to make their job a little easier fix the fuzzy definitions on some fouls so they are crystal clear. For example PI - list specific easy to identify items that are PI. If they see one they MUST call it and if they do not they CANNOT call it. Ditto on holding.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 01:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: Make the refs full time, with full training and testing all year long. Also put in regular reviews where if you blow enough calls you lose your job. And to make their job a little easier fix the fuzzy definitions on some fouls so they are crystal clear. For example PI - list specific easy to identify items that are PI. If they see one they MUST call it and if they do not they CANNOT call it. Ditto on holding.

I like this. There are way too many ticky tacky penalties where you're just like "What, that was roughing the passer? Why?" It almost feels like the refs have an incentive to keep the game competitive. I was watching a bit of the Vikings Browns game on Sunday and the Browns failed on 4th and goal to tie the game at the end of the first half (after previously failing on another 4th and goal on their first drive) and the refs called a hold on the Vikings in what, I can't emphasize this enough, was the most bland and ticky tacky holding call I've ever seen. The defender had his hand on the receiver's waist, the receiver spins out (in the opposite direction that Baker was rolling, btw), the jersey brushed against the Viking player's hand and moved, the receiver wasn't impeded in any way, and they call the holding, free first down at the 2 yard line which the Browns, of course, get into the end zone (still took them until 3rd down to get in too haha). 

(Video here for those interested)

It just felt very "We can't let the Browns fail on 4th and goal AGAIN. Give me a 'penalty,' what'd you guys see?" 

Then one of the side judges was like "I saw a jersey move kind of." 

"Done. Call it holding. Let's see the Vikings stop them 8 times in a row."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 01:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: Make the refs full time, with full training and testing all year long. Also put in regular reviews where if you blow enough calls you lose your job. And to make their job a little easier fix the fuzzy definitions on some fouls so they are crystal clear. For example PI - list specific easy to identify items that are PI. If they see one they MUST call it and if they do not they CANNOT call it. Ditto on holding.

It's not a full time job though. Pay me more and I'll do a better job just tells me it's time to clean house.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:13 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's not a full time job though. Pay me more and I'll do a better job just tells me it's time to clean house.

I mean how much more do they want to do so little? The average ref makes over 200k a year for what, like 20 days of work? 

Imagine any other job making that much money, working so little, and messing up that much. 

Another example:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/1444744281097388042?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1444744281097388042%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-1852300131348245768.ampproject.net%2F2109102127000%2Fframe.html

Chase Young gets penalized for doing what he's supposed to and not killing Matt Ryan. That was on 4th down and it ended up resulting on a TD for Atlanta.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:13 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's not a full time job though. Pay me more and I'll do a better job just tells me it's time to clean house.

The reason you make them full time is so you have their dedicated time for things like training (not just studying the rules but training on the best ways to do things), testing and certifying and it also makes a much tougher system of evaluation possible. So it isn't about "pay for a better job" - it is about recasting the refs as professionals.
Reply/Quote
For example, the phantom defensive holding call that wound up being the reason the Stains won. Getting that wrong would give every ref on that crew a "red mark" - too many red marks and you cannot ref the playoffs and after that the next line crossed is firing. All refs would also be evaluated in terms of a separate unit reviewing the game tapes of every game, and if they have no blown calls and (for example) miss 5% or less of possible calls the crew gets a "green mark". The crews are stack ranked (by green marks - red marks) after the last game off the regular season and the top ones ref the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: For example, the phantom defensive holding call that wound up being the reason the Stains won. Getting that wrong would give every ref on that crew a "red mark" - too many red marks and you cannot ref the playoffs and after that the next line crossed is firing. All refs would also be evaluated in terms of a separate unit reviewing the game tapes of every game, and if they have no blown calls and (for example) miss 5% or less of possible calls the crew gets a "green mark". The crews are stack ranked (by green marks  - red marks)  after the last game off the regular season and the top ones ref the playoffs.

thats great but the games were still affected... and thats the problem
Reply/Quote
Did anyone see T.J. Watt of the Stealers blatantly trip Aaron Rogers?  And of course no call.  The refs this season seem to be missing a lot of calls.  Even in the Bears-Bengals game, they called a receiver in bounds on a catch that he was clearly out of bounds, and didn't get two feet in.  Thing is, a lot of times these calls are starting to affect the outcome of a game.

Vid of the trip by Watt:      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkFefaPX-Q
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: thats great but the games were still affected... and thats the problem

Over time measures like these will stop the problem by putting real consequences for the refs when they make wrong calls. Right now there are none. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: The reason you make them full time is so you have their dedicated time for things like training (not just studying the rules but training on the best ways to do things), testing and certifying and it also makes a much tougher system of evaluation possible. So it isn't about "pay for a better job" - it is about recasting the refs as professionals.

Right... give the refs the time, training and resources to give them the best opportunity to "do a better job!"
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:58 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Did anyone see T.J. Watt of the Stealers blatantly trip Aaron Rogers?  And of course no call.  The refs this season seem to be missing a lot of calls.  Even in the Bears-Bengals game, they called a receiver in bounds on a catch that he was clearly out of bounds, and didn't get two feet in.  Thing is, a lot of times these calls are starting to affect the outcome of a game.

They even threw the flag and then had to come over the mic and say no penalty while showing the clear trip on the Jumbotron.

I was pretty pissed at the end of the Browns game where a clear PI in the end zone on the Vikings Hail Mary attempt went uncalled. Pretty easy to defend the Hail Mary when you don’t even turn and look for the ball just stay belly to belly with the WR and impede his efforts to get to the ball.

They keep doing a bunch of stuff to make the game safer and better. When will they do something to make the game better by taking it out of the hands of shitty ass refs?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 04:13 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: They even threw the flag and then had to come over the mic and say no penalty while showing the clear trip on the Jumbotron.

I was pretty pissed at the end of the Browns game where a clear PI in the end zone on the Vikings Hail Mary attempt went uncalled. Pretty easy to defend the Hail Mary when you don’t even turn and look for the ball just stay belly to belly with the WR and impede his efforts to get to the ball.

They keep doing a bunch of stuff to make the game safer and better. When will they do something to make the game better by taking it out of the hands of shitty ass refs?

Thing is that wasn’t even a Hail Mary where they are a little more lax. It wasn’t just a bomb up in the air.

The holding penalty that gave the Browns their fifth sixth and seventh attempt from inside the five was horrible

Steelers also got hosed on the offsides call where they blocked the FG and returned it for a TD. That was a ten point swing and they lost by ten. Now I don’t exactly blame the refs because in real time it did look offsides, but why can’t you review it?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

When they let sports be bet on that opens the door to refs being paid off. The issue is there is to much of grey areas that let refs sway a call one way or the other like the ball was to high and uncatchable so pick up the flag. With the vertical jumps of certain guys and height  arm reach is is impossible for a ref to make a call like that to know all the information that would determine if the player could of caught the ball. If there is a rule broken for contact the flag should stand.  If we go the route of nitpicking every call touch hold push off with some sort of sky cam then you will get guys flopping like they do in the NBA and soccer drawing flags which would ruin the game for me completely. Why have they not put GPS tracking device in the ball yet to determine if its a first down or not at the bottom of a pile the camera can not see? Because that takes it out of the refs hands so he can not manipulate the call.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:58 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Did anyone see T.J. Watt of the Stealers blatantly trip Aaron Rogers?  And of course no call.  The refs this season seem to be missing a lot of calls.  Even in the Bears-Bengals game, they called a receiver in bounds on a catch that he was clearly out of bounds, and didn't get two feet in.  Thing is, a lot of times these calls are starting to affect the outcome of a game.

In that video, he's been held around the neck, isn't that a hold?? 
Reply/Quote
Is there any sport/league where people think the officiating is good?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:28 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Is there any sport/league where people think the officiating is good?

Ping pong has a bunch of bullshit refs i know that
Reply/Quote