Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think NFL officials are bad? So does Joey Bosa
(10-05-2021, 05:10 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: When they let sports be bet on that opens the door to refs being paid off. The issue is there is to much of grey areas that let refs sway a call one way or the other like the ball was to high and uncatchable so pick up the flag. With the vertical jumps of certain guys and height  arm reach is is impossible for a ref to make a call like that to know all the information that would determine if the player could of caught the ball. If there is a rule broken for contact the flag should stand.  If we go the route of nitpicking every call touch hold push off with some sort of sky cam then you will get guys flopping like they do in the NBA and soccer drawing flags which would ruin the game for me completely. Why have they not put GPS tracking device in the ball yet to determine if its a first down or not at the bottom of a pile the camera can not see? Because that takes it out of the refs hands so he can not manipulate the call.

Which is why the fouls that have the fuzzier standards need to be clarified. Define stuff like holds and PI so that there are clear and easy to see "markers" that have to be present. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like an idea they were talking about on Sirius the day before yesterday. I just got into the car, so I'm not sure which coach it was (I'm thinking it was Belicheat, but not sure), but his position was he has a given number of challenges, and should be able to use them to challenge whatever he wants.... ie all calls reviewable. Makes sense to me, I don't quite understand why some things are reviewable and some aren't. I get that certain things are judgement calls, but why not make all of them subject to review.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 01:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: Make the refs full time, with full training and testing all year long. Also put in regular reviews where if you blow enough calls you lose your job. And to make their job a little easier fix the fuzzy definitions on some fouls so they are crystal clear. For example PI - list specific easy to identify items that are PI. If they see one they MUST call it and if they do not they CANNOT call it. Ditto on holding.

(10-06-2021, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I like an idea they were talking about on Sirius the day before yesterday. I just got into the car, so I'm not sure which coach it was (I'm thinking it was Belicheat, but not sure), but his position was he has a given number of challenges, and should be able to use them to challenge whatever he wants.... ie all calls reviewable. Makes sense to me, I don't quite understand why some things are reviewable and some aren't. I get that certain things are judgement calls, but why not make all of them subject to review.

Both of these need to be implemented yesterday. 

Someone call Doc Brown, we need to go back ...

in time. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I like an idea they were talking about on Sirius the day before yesterday. I just got into the car, so I'm not sure which coach it was (I'm thinking it was Belicheat, but not sure), but his position was he has a given number of challenges, and should be able to use them to challenge whatever he wants.... ie all calls reviewable. Makes sense to me, I don't quite understand why some things are reviewable and some aren't. I get that certain things are judgement calls, but why not make all of them subject to review.

that would just further call in the question the integrity of the game and refs as they would be proven wrong more and more.

Which would be nightmare for the league
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: that would just further call in the question the integrity of the game and refs as they would be proven wrong more and more.

Which would be nightmare for the league

I disagree. Everyone knows human beings are fallible. Having a review system only HELPS the officials and the game. Getting the calls correct is what matters.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:22 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree. Everyone knows human beings are fallible. Having a review system only HELPS the officials and the game. Getting the calls correct is what matters.

it is what matters but more often than not they will uphold what was called.     I want the game to be called as cleanly as possible even if it means my team losing as if i cant trust the sport i lose interest.

I am saying the league doesnt want more plays under microscopes. What matters to the league is making money
Reply/Quote
I’d rather lose then win on a horrible call favoring my team.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: it is what matters but more often than not they will uphold what was called.    

Only if there's no clear cut evidence to suggest otherwise. There have been a lot of calls that have been reversed due to replay and I don't think that'll change, especially if we make calls less subjective. 
Reply/Quote
The rules of football leave inevitable ambiguities in the way they must be officiated in real time. Officials are doing exactly as well as should be expected given what they have to work with. The game must be kept safe enough to prevent CTE from ruining it, and the safer it gets the more everyone is going to hate the refs who enforce the rules (as consistently as they can with basic human limitations). Bosa can cry more after he gets fined.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:28 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Is there any sport/league where people think the officiating is good?

Nope. I hate every single ref ever created. When my son played sports growing up, i wanted to punch a bunch of them in the face. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:42 AM)packerbacker Wrote: I’d rather lose then win on a horrible call favoring my team.

Stop it. People may say that, but no one really feels it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote