Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think ZT would ever do this?
First of all, I like Bruce Arians. I love "no risk it, no biscuit"....mainly because my buddy and I refer to the female kitty as "biscuit". Hilarious But, seriously, I like the guy.

Yesterday, after an off game for Brady, Arians used words like "stupid" and "we're a dumb football team". He called Brady out (!) specifically that "It had nothing to do with receivers, it was him (Brady)".

I know every coach has their own ways to motivate a team, but I doubt this will be a very effective means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJMeJXYaEM0&ab_channel=NFLPreseason
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He called out Brady last year and they won the Super Bowl. Being a massive whiner/finger-pointer really pays off.
Reply/Quote
He did not call Brady "stupid" he just said the interceptions were his fault. And when he said "we have a stupid team" he also added 'that is a reflection of the coaches". So while he called the team "stupid" he also called himself "stupid".

I don't see anything shocking about any of this. Just sounds like the usual coach speak from every press conference.
Reply/Quote
I like it,when a coach speaks out like this.I also like the fact that you can see how bad they hate to lose,and how extremely competitive Tom Brady is.It’s like he’s totally obsessed with the game.Or,some might call it insane.I’ve seen Brady completely freak out before,like he was losing it.But,with that said,I think that’s a good trait to have in a Quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 05:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I like Bruce Arians.  I love "no risk it, no biscuit"....mainly because my buddy and I refer to the female kitty as "biscuit".   Hilarious   But, seriously, I like the guy.

Yesterday, after an off game for Brady, Arians used words like "stupid" and "we're a dumb football team".  He called Brady out (!) specifically that "It had nothing to do with receivers, it was him (Brady)".

I know every coach has their own ways to motivate a team, but I doubt this will be a very effective means.  

Arias is a good coach but he also called out Gio and Gio is a bonna fide good player.  His words are definitely not for the faint of heart and if he was my coach, I would give him my 2 cents too once in a while when he deserves it, to bring him back to humbleness, hopefully.
Still nice to have him instead of Zac.
Reply/Quote
I thought this thread was going to be about adjusting the playcalling based on what the defense is doing, and I was going to respond with, "No, I don't think he would ever do that."
Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 07:04 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Arias is a good coach but he also called out Gio and Gio is a bonna fide good player.  His words are definitely not for the faint of heart and if he was my coach, I would give him my 2 cents too once in a while when he deserves it, to bring him back to humbleness, hopefully.
Still nice to have him instead of Zac.

Good is subjective.

The reality is Bernard is not a starter, he's a role player. He's good in his role, but by no means is he an upper-tier starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He did not call Brady "stupid" he just said the interceptions were his fault.  And when he said "we have a stupid team" he also added 'that is a reflection of the coaches".  So while he called the team "stupid" he also called himself "stupid".

I don't see anything shocking about any of this.  Just sounds like the usual coach speak from every press conference.

"We are a stupid team" and "We jumped offsides the first play of the game.  That's just dumb.".

I don't know.  Really surprised me.  
Reply/Quote
No, Zac Taylor would never do this — but he should. In my opinion he’s too nice but I’ve never seen him run a practice. I saw Mike Zimmer run the Cincinnati defense in camp and let’s just say he’s unfiltered and leave it at that. He scared the shit out of those players; even Vontaze Burfict was frightened.

Bruce Arians is basically the NFL equivalent of everyone’s weird unfiltered outspoken uncle. He’s going to say things as he sees them, call out bad play, and name names — but he always takes final responsibility when things go badly and praises is players when things go well.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 05:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I like Bruce Arians. I love "no risk it, no biscuit"....mainly because my buddy and I refer to the female kitty as "biscuit". Hilarious But, seriously, I like the guy.

Yesterday, after an off game for Brady, Arians used words like "stupid" and "we're a dumb football team". He called Brady out (!) specifically that "It had nothing to do with receivers, it was him (Brady)".

How does calling it biscuit go over with the ladies?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 09:34 PM)jason Wrote: How does calling it biscuit go over with the ladies?

They flaked out, didn’t roll, and were just after some dough.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 09:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No, Zac Taylor would never do this — but he should. In my opinion he’s too nice but I’ve never seen him run a practice. I saw Mike Zimmer run the Cincinnati defense in camp and let’s just say he’s unfiltered and leave it at that. He scared the shit out of those players; even Vontaze Burfict was frightened.

Bruce Arians is basically the NFL equivalent of everyone’s weird unfiltered outspoken uncle. He’s going to say things as he sees them, call out bad play, and name names — but he always takes final responsibility when things go badly and praises is players when things go well.

Most of this stuff is just fluff and doesn’t actually do anything. Mike Zimmer was successful because he’s a good coach, not because he is unfiltered. Same with Arians. For every ***** coach that’s successful, there is one that isn’t. For all of his faults, ZTs relationship with the players isn’t one of them. The locker room seems to really like him and they play hard for him.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 09:34 PM)jason Wrote: How does calling it biscuit go over with the ladies?

"Homegirls for once forget you got class
see a guy you like just grab im in the  .  .  . biscuits
And doowutchyalike"

-Humpty Hump
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 09:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No, Zac Taylor would never do this — but he should.  In my opinion he’s too nice but I’ve never seen him run a practice.  I saw Mike Zimmer run the Cincinnati defense in camp and let’s just say he’s unfiltered and leave it at that.  He scared the shit out of those players; even Vontaze Burfict was frightened.

Bruce Arians is basically the NFL equivalent of everyone’s weird unfiltered outspoken uncle.  He’s going to say things as he sees them, call out bad play, and name names — but he always takes final responsibility when things go badly and praises is players when things go well.

This is going to sound incredibly homer-ish, but I like the way ZT behaves as the HC.  The coordinators get on the players plenty.  Anarumo was all over guys in camp, albeit with a bit less profanity than Zim, but not by much.  

The problem with the yeller and screamer is players eventually tune them out if they aren't ever saying anything positive.  Not saying that was Zim, but you get what I am saying. 

I would like to see ZT get more pissed off when he gets screwed by a bad call, though.  
Reply/Quote

It's an inside joke...

Always good for a chuckle when we are in mixed company and someone says something like "Have you tried the biscuits?"  I know, it is just like Banhammer and a few other things.  I just find it funny.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 10:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Most of this stuff is just fluff and doesn’t actually do anything. Mike Zimmer was successful because he’s a good coach, not because he is unfiltered. Same with Arians. For every ***** coach that’s successful, there is one that isn’t.

This.  Players respect knowledge in coaches.  Coaches can scream and squeal all you want, but if they are not intelligent players will not respect them.

An adult screaming at high school kids may have some effect, but grown men are not impressed unless the coach has the bona fides to back it up.
Reply/Quote
Screamers usually get filtered out with, "whatever".. I've never been impressed with it and seldom even intimidated by it even as a kid..
It's not tough to figure out when someone knows what they're talking about and being angry about things vs just blowing a gasket for not getting their way. These are all grown men who have the physical abilities to kick the crap out of the coaches. It's really a matter of authority and whether the players feel they're doing things right or not. I seriously doubt blowing a gasket figures into the equation with most players..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I have mixed feelings about his approach.

I will say it does make losing uncomfortable for the team, and that is something that is needed. The team should be "scared" to lose given the coach won't hold back his displeasure and embarrass them publicly. Is losing "uncomfortable" around here? Not quite.

It wouldn't work for ZT tho as he doesn't have the success and "skins" as HC to be so brazen.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 10:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: I have mixed feelings about his approach.

I will say it does make losing uncomfortable for the team, and that is something that is needed. The team should be "scared" to lose given the coach won't hold back his displeasure and embarrass them publicly. Is losing "uncomfortable" around here? Not quite.

It wouldn't work for ZT tho as he doesn't have the success and "skins" as HC to be so brazen.

Coaches don't need to berate players to the media to embarras them. Fans and media do that anyway when a player messes up.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 10:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: I have mixed feelings about his approach.

I think you nailed the issue I have with this:  publicly.  Dress down your players internally when they deserve it.  I just really question that terminology in the media.  And what "skins" does Arians have?  He was a solid OC at pitt and Indy, a .500 coach in AZ, and he was in Tampa as well until Brady decided to join and "bring Gronk with him".  
Reply/Quote