Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think games aren't scripted?
There's no mystery here. The league has already said they are a private entertainment enterprise and can script games to maximize profits.. I really don't see it as any different from watching a great movie that you don't know the ending till the...end.. Sports IS a segment of the entertainment industry and little more. It's not AS IF football is essential to national security or anyone will lose their lives if it is scripted..other than morons who bet the farm on a game and can't pay their bookie.. What's next? "It's impossible to rig a game!!!"??   Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No because nobody cares if the Pats win. It doesn’t help the NFL. They don’t make more money if the current Pats win.

Everyone forgets with the forward progress thing, Jones got a 15 yard penalty. Even if it were ruled not a fumble later, all of the other action would have occurred and Jones would have been penalized and they would have been back on the 20. Also you can get pushed backwards and not have forward progress called. You have to be stopped.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: There's no mystery here. The league has already said they are a private entertainment enterprise and can script games to maximize profits.. I really don't see it as any different from watching a great movie that you don't know the ending till the...end.. Sports IS a segment of the entertainment industry and little more. It's not AS IF football is essential to national security or anyone will lose their lives if it is scripted..other than morons who bet the farm on a game and can't pay their bookie.. What's next? "It's impossible to rig a game!!!"??   Hilarious

None of this is true and I’m not sure where you magically pulled this from. The NFL has never said they can script their games to maximize their profits. Scripting said games at this point constitutes wire fraud.

The games aren’t fixed folks, it’s really not complicated to understand all the issues both logistically and legally as to why that is the case.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's scripted, but refs are human. As such they make mistakes and make calls based on the individual. Some guys get more calls and some guys get away with more stuff.

True story at the high school level....

A neighbor of mine's son was a senior in HS, playing Safety. The neighbor tells me about a play during the game where his son was beaten, but obviously grabbed the WR so blatantly that his dad saw it in the stands and knew that he did it.

No call

After the game he said to his son that he got away with one on that play. The son told him that the ref was Mr Gillispie, their neighbor from across the street and he knew that he wasn't getting called.

Im sure the process of getting to the professional level weeds a lot of things like this out, but it does show that it does exist and no doubt persists all the way to Sunday football.
Reply/Quote
For years I felt it was "fixed"...now I'm not so sure.

My theory was that the league wanted certain outcomes and the officials could control a game enough to get most of them.  Call a penalty on a big play, call a hold at just the right time, etc.

I didn't think the players are in on it which is why sometimes it doesn't go the way the higher ups would want.

Anymore I don't really care, but I do think the league still has results it would LIKE to see for the sake of the narrative and the league itself.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Idk.

If it was fixed, would we have a league with dominant teams from KC, Buffalo and Cincinnati while teams in New York flounder and massive fanbases like Pittsburgh and Green Bay watch their teams decline?
Reply/Quote
Quote:Think games aren't scripted?

No

The refs are just shitty and they need to turn it over more to electronics than humans. 

Same in othe leagues.  i.e. Homeplate Umpires in baseball need to friggin go.  They are inconsistent and horrible.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:38 AM)samhain Wrote: Idk.

If it was fixed, would we have a league with dominant teams from KC, Buffalo and Cincinnati while teams in New York flounder and massive fanbases like Pittsburgh and Green Bay watch their teams decline?

So lets keep the conspiracy going on this:  As part of what the league wants they know that teams with massive fan bases will put up with the occasional decline.  Those teams will still sellout stadiums, even on the road, and will be popular on television.  But occasionally they have to push teams that have declining fanbases for the sake of revenues.  So the Bengals go on a roll every ten years or so, Detroit will "show promise" for a few years, etc.

New York and LA teams already have that larger market to ensure the revenue stream.

Not saying I believe that, just going with the idea.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 11:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: So lets keep the conspiracy going on this:  As part of what the league wants they know that teams with massive fan bases will put up with the occasional decline.  Those teams will still sellout stadiums, even on the road, and will be popular on television.  But occasionally they have to push teams that have declining fanbases for the sake of revenues.  So the Bengals go on a roll every ten years or so, Detroit will "show promise" for a few years, etc.

New York and LA teams already have that larger market to ensure the revenue stream.

Not saying I believe that, just going with the idea.

It's still way too random.  The Colts were must watch TV for the entire time Peyton was there; like more than a decade, then they got another blue chip qb and ran him out of the league. Indy is a small market The only thing that drove their success and popularity was a single quarterback.  

Then we have the Commanders.  Washington/Northern Virginia is a massive media market.  That team hasn't retuned to dominance since the 90's.  Cleveland is a decent sized market in a rabid football state with tons of history.  If they had a quarter of the success that Pittsburgh did, we'd have Browns fans spread all over the country like cockroaches, yet they continually get kicked in the balls in new and embarrassing ways with no sustained success.  

The only factor that really matters in a NFL team's success is the ability to draft a great to elite quarterback and not screw him up.  I denied it for years, but it's impossible to ignore.  They drive the league.  I suppose you could call the league having a vested interest in protecting those guys a form of rigging for ratings, but I don't think it's too heavy of a factor.  Nothing prevents bad teams from ending up with one of these guys other than luck and timing of incoming talent from the college ranks.  The Bengals can wind up with one, so can the Bills, the Steelers, the Commanders, etc.  Some teams like the Patriots can get one against impossible odds in the 6th round.  Doesn't matter.  Once you have a top 5 guy, you're in the game for a long time as long as you don't pull a Detroit and waste him.

The only thing that makes things appear fixed is the sometimes unclear application of rules and inconsistency of officiating crews.  As another poster said, I attribute that more to them being bad than rigging.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:18 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: I'm in a fine mood. I'm saying some games and some calls. Not every game and every call. Last years SB with Wilson called for PI on the goal line? Give me a break. Take the blindfold off. Here, I'll give an example. Different sport but same principal. Years ago when Danica Patrick moves to Nascar from Indy Car. Her 1st race the Daytona 500 and she somehow wins the pole in her 1st Stock Car race against guys that have been doing it for years? You don't think Nascar gave her a little bigger restrictor plate do you?  Great for TV ratings. Eyes on the tube. That is manipulation from upstairs.

Rigged.  It's all rigged, I tell ya..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: None of this is true and I’m not sure where you magically pulled this from. The NFL has never said they can script their games to maximize their profits. Scripting said games at this point constitutes wire fraud.

The games aren’t fixed folks, it’s really not complicated to understand all the issues both logistically and legally as to why that is the case.

Ever hear of vested interests? There are 32 major cities in the US..OK, 31 minus Green Bay with NFL franchises that pull in billions and billions in revenue. Suppose there is fraud involved. What's the fed going to do? Stop football and piss off the majority of the voting public and deprive 32 major cities and franchises of the billions of revenue over a few rigged events? There's already a large contingent of fans who believe it's all rigged, not partially, but whole hog rigged from day one. Those fans still buy tickets, watch TV, buy licensed sports paraphernalia and on and on. There's not a single politician who could get elected as the state governor ass wiper and chief sh*t eater if they decided to indict everyone who could possibly be involved. LOL 
It's not as pervasive as some make it out to be. Not every game and every player, but there's now legal and illegal gambling with even more at stake.  As Brian Tuohey asks on his website: Would you leave a multi-billion (Probably trillion now) enterprise up to chance?  Not on your life and if there's corruption it's absolutely kept quiet. People would disappear permanently for blowing the whistle on that kind of money.  For a trillion bucks I wouldn't trust my dear old mother who's been dead since the early 90s..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The most scripted Super Bowls to me were the one where the Steelers beat the Seahawks in a whole mess of bad calls, and then the Patriots' comeback against the Falcons. Last year, the Rams at home at SOFI was such an angle that things may have been tweaked to get them there and to give them the win.
Reply/Quote
I feel like if the NFL were scripted the Steelers and Cowboys would have faced each other in the SB more recently than 1995.
Reply/Quote