Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think games aren't scripted?
(12-26-2022, 11:18 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: I'm in a fine mood. I'm saying some games and some calls. Not every game and every call. Last years SB with Wilson called for PI on the goal line? Give me a break. Take the blindfold off. Here, I'll give an example. Different sport but same principal. Years ago when Danica Patrick moves to Nascar from Indy Car. Her 1st race the Daytona 500 and she somehow wins the pole in her 1st Stock Car race against guys that have been doing it for years? You don't think Nascar gave her a little bigger restrictor plate do you?  Great for TV ratings. Eyes on the tube. That is manipulation from upstairs.

What about the Higgins face mask on our first series out of half time? That was easily more egregious and was a touchdown for us. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is why incompetence is the more likely issue. Stevenson should have been whistled dead for forward progress so we also got a call of incompetence, but ours literally sealed the game.

This is another thing I've noticed. As I said before DPI's seemed to be not getting called as much but they also don't seem to whistle plays dead as fast. Both may be coming down from the league to officials. I could see them being told not to whistle plays dead because it's non reviewable when they do and with players getting behind to rugby scrum it forward it's hard to tell when the play is over.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:33 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is another thing I've noticed. As I said before DPI's seemed to be not getting called as much but they also don't seem to whistle plays dead as fast. Both may be coming down from the league to officials. I could see them being told not to whistle plays dead because it's non reviewable when they do and with players getting behind to rugby scrum it forward it's hard to tell when the play is over.

There are a few understood situations such as not calling delay of game right at zero.

Reply/Quote
NFL is rigged. Election was rigged. OP smoke the conspiracy theory crack pipe much? Good lord.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:33 AM)TheFan Wrote: What about the Higgins face mask on our first series out of half time? That was easily more egregious and was a touchdown for us. 

Yes, correct. Should have been called. So the PI on Wilson was the makeup call? I guess so. It just seems like more of these "calls" don't go to the Bengals favor.
Reply/Quote
The problem with NFL officiating is this: Across the board they are too old. I would venture to say the average age of a NFL official is 60 ish. You expect 60 year old men to keep up with some of the best athletes in the world in real time? And once they’re in, it takes and act of God to get them out. There needs to be more accountability for poor performance and a push to get younger officials in the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:44 AM)Fullrock Wrote: NFL is rigged. Election was rigged. OP smoke the conspiracy theory crack pipe much? Good lord.

I didn't say NFL was rigged. You did. I said the outcome of certain calls in certain games is questionable and I feel is influenced by some individuals whether it's on the field or higher up. And if you think 2020 was legit you need to do some real reading and turn off the TV.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:54 AM)Fullrock Wrote: The problem with NFL officiating is this: Across the board they are too old. I would venture to say the average age of a NFL official is 60 ish. You expect 60 year old men to keep up with some of the best athletes in the world in real time? And once they’re in, it takes and act of God to get them out. There needs to be more accountability for poor performance and a push to get younger officials in the game.

Yes, I agree with you on this. If this really is just poor officiating then it needs fixed now.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:45 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes, correct. Should have been called. So the PI on Wilson was the makeup call? I guess so. It just seems like more of these "calls" don't go to the Bengals favor.

You’ve solved your own conspiracy with a single word, though you may not realize it.

SEEMS

Every fanbase has this impression. None of them are working with all the evidence. What SEEMS to be true is very often untrue. You don’t have all of the information, and you instinctively fill the gaps on your own. It’s typical cognitive bias on your part, and that’s not an insult. It’s human nature. But awareness may reduce the tendency.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:07 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Do I think games are scripted?  No.  Do I think that some officials are just plain incompetent, or award calls to some teams and not others based on past team reputation, or because said teams are helmed by whining, prima donna athletes/coaches?  Yes, I do.  

If I had any credible evidence that the game was scripted, I'd never waste a minute watching the NFL again.  

And, if the league really were looking out for the Pats they would not have allowed them to drop to 7-8 and 3rd in the AFCE.  My .02.

I hope your mood improves. It is Christmas, Theo.  It is the time for miracles.

Look up Tim Donaghy in the NBA. It happens. It's probably rare, but who knows.

The Logan Wilson pi probably costed us the SB. It was a weak call the way the game was officiated to that point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games%3fplatform=amp
Reply/Quote
Be sure to check your mailbox. I will be mailing out tin foil hats later this week.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Look up Tim Donaghy in the NBA. It happens. It's probably rare, but who knows.

The Logan Wilson pi probably costed us the SB. It was a weak call the way the game was officiated to that point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games%3fplatform=amp

Donaghy was a cheating ref for his own personal gain, much different than a conspiracy theory by owners or media.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:55 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: I didn't say NFL was rigged. You did. I said the outcome of certain calls in certain games is questionable and I feel is influenced by some individuals whether it's on the field or higher up. And if you think 2020 was legit you need to do some real reading and turn off the TV.

What real reading? Here's the problem with people saying don't trust the mainstream media ( not talking about cable news) or the courts or state officials. Is they have access to information or know where to look for the information. Most of us don't know where to find this information or have access to and/or are too busy with our owns jobs and lives to look for. So all you do in the end is listening to someone on the Internet that doesn't even hold themselves to the same standard that the untrustworthy main stream media does.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Look up Tim Donaghy in the NBA. It happens. It's probably rare, but who knows.

I'm familiar with the NBA ref, but there's nothing anyone could do to make me care less about the NBA, so they can all be on the take for all I care.    But it's nothing more than an anomaly, anyway.  When there are legitimate charges leveled at an NFL official, affecting the game I do care about, then I will care, as we all should.   

The Wilson DPI call was weak as you say, but it wasn't part of some master conspiracy, but instead falls into the incompetency category.

I agree with what someone mentioned up thread about NFL officials being too old.  The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry and more than capable of hiring younger, full-time officials instead of the 60 year old judges and CPAs they have humping around the field now.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:03 AM)Au165 Wrote: In conclusion...this is nonsense. Like most things in life the most likely explanation is usually the explanation. Incompetence of officials is the reason for most issues not malice.

ThumbsUp

Almost like a company that's probably going to have ~$20b in revenue in 2023 shouldn't have part-time refs, let alone having 60-year-old lawyers being those part-time refs as their secondary job.

(12-26-2022, 11:10 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: And here we go.

[Image: the-here-we-go-again-meme-is-perfect-for...8.1200.png]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:45 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes, correct. Should have been called. So the PI on Wilson was the makeup call? I guess so. It just seems like more of these "calls" don't go to the Bengals favor.

It means refs are humans and therefore make mistakes. Some are incompetent. Ask fans of the 31 other NFL teams and they'll tell you more of those calls go against them than anyone else too. 
Reply/Quote
I think there are simply lousy officials, and it doesn't help the NFL won't pay them full-time salaries. Any ref making $100K would surely write a book about the games he threw a few years ago, and he'd suddenly be rich from the sales.

Humans are horrible about keeping quiet. We'd surely hear all kinds of stories from those who participated in throwing a game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know if you've ever heard of Occam's Razor, and your additional posts in the topic prove you don't, but Occam's Razor.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:24 PM)TheFan Wrote: It means refs are humans and therefore make mistakes. Some are incompetent. Ask fans of the 31 other NFL teams and they'll tell you more of those calls go against them than anyone else too. 

That's a truism of sports too. Fans tend to think their team is losing because of officials.

It's like blaming the playcall when a play fails. Of course a failed play looks bad.
Reply/Quote
Prior to our SB appearance at the start of last season they polled all 32 fanbases and rated officiating towards their team in particular officials according to Bengal fans rated 32 in fairness. Since then we have been getting much more favorable calls. Some of it has to do with popularity of Chase and Burrow. I tend to lean to things balancing out over time.
Reply/Quote