Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think of all the changes since 2011.
People talk about the "window for success" closing on the Bengals, but there are only 4 starters left from the '11 team (Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Huber). Dunlap and MJ were not regular starters, but they played a lot. Peerman, Clark Harris, and Vinny Rey were also on the roster.

So we have turned over most of the roster.
Reply/Quote
I believe the window was shut tight after the 2015 meltdown.

It’s taken 2 full seasons, but the new additions to the coaching staff appear to have cracked the window a bit. I’m excited at the thought that this COULD be the start of a new run.
Reply/Quote
I agree. People said it all came crashing down with the meltdown. I didn't believe it at the time but in retrospect it was true. We have a chance for a fresh start with the new coaches, but only time will tell if it's a new window.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 06:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree. People said it all came crashing down with the meltdown. I didn't believe it at the time but in retrospect it was true. We have a chance for a fresh start with the new coaches, but only time will tell if it's a new window.

Right there with you. However, when we think of the perception of the team since MB has been in charge, what other choice did anyone have but to see a drought of several years. I have no friggen clue wtf happened, but it was like someone walked into PBS and turned the light switch on. New coaches, new playbook, new focus, etc. It's pretty exciting.

Something very drastic has changed and overnight we have become an NFL franchise. I don't think ANYONE on this board seen this coming.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 07:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Right there with you. However, when we think of the perception of the team since MB has been in charge, what other choice did anyone have but to see a drought of several years. I have no friggen clue wtf happened, but it was like someone walked into PBS and turned the light switch on. New coaches, new playbook, new focus, etc. It's pretty exciting.

Something very drastic has changed and overnight we have become an NFL franchise. I don't think ANYONE on this board seen this coming.

Except we have retained the common threads of “close but no cigar” in MB and ML
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People talk about the "window for success" closing on the Bengals, but there are only 4 starters left from the '11 team (Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Huber).  Dunlap and MJ were not regular starters, but they played a lot.  Peerman, Clark Harris, and Vinny Rey were also on the roster.

Well the 2011 team wasn't even that great IMO. That was just the year that the Bengals started trending up.
Reply/Quote
Coulda been worse. Coulda been Cleveland fans.. Team Coulda been sold to the Reds ownership group  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
if the offensive line plays well..this team is one of the best
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 10:34 AM)cooper Wrote: if the offensive line plays well..this team is one of the best

My god, you posted something I agree with.   Shocked

I even gotta' rep this one.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People talk about the "window for success" closing on the Bengals, but there are only 4 starters left from the '11 team (Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Huber).  Dunlap and MJ were not regular starters, but they played a lot.  Peerman, Clark Harris, and Vinny Rey were also on the roster.

Yes but the window closed two years ago per foolish drafting of unneeded players at time. 

Now we await the next window of opportunity to open up. Hopefully this year, but that is not a given yet until O-line proves itself.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 07:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Right there with you. However, when we think of the perception of the team since MB has been in charge, what other choice did anyone have but to see a drought of several years. I have no friggen clue wtf happened, but it was like someone walked into PBS and turned the light switch on. New coaches, new playbook, new focus, etc. It's pretty exciting.

We were happily blindsided for a change. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 10:42 AM)Go Cards Wrote: We were happily blindsided for a change. 

There sure has been a lot of positives this off season.  Nice to be blindsided this way.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 06:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree. People said it all came crashing down with the meltdown. I didn't believe it at the time but in retrospect it was true. We have a chance for a fresh start with the new coaches, but only time will tell if it's a new window.

Yes, it seemed that the window was closing but with a new O-line coach, a stud Center and a proven LT it to me has flung open.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 09:09 PM)N_B Wrote: Except we have retained the common threads of “close but no cigar” in MB and ML

As unfortunate as this may seem? If they are the ones responsible for the change then I say a corner has possibly been turned. I have a gut feeling it has been Mike holding us back and Marvin being the yes man. Can't prove that, but my suspicion is there.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 01:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: As unfortunate as this may seem? If they are the ones responsible for the change then I say a corner has possibly been turned. I have a gut feeling it has been Mike holding us back and Marvin being the yes man. Can't prove that, but my suspicion is there.

Have the same suspicion Harley, also that MB has taken a step back and it is showing with these new coaches...

Lazor, Austin, Pollack, Van Pelt all seem to be on the same page and there seems to be some good chemistry going on.

We will see once the season rolls around, i am sure it will take some time but i cannot help but be excited right now.

If it does pan out i will eat some major crow on all my Marv hate, heck i even stopped calling him Merv. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 01:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: As unfortunate as this may seem? If they are the ones responsible for the change then I say a corner has possibly been turned. I have a gut feeling it has been Mike holding us back and Marvin being the yes man. Can't prove that, but my suspicion is there.

I have this suspicion that it's been a 15 year wrestling match, attempting to get Mike Brown to gradually let go of authority and decision making power.  I honestly feel that Marvin has always done as much as he was allowed to, in terms of building a roster and coaching staff.  I'm thinking that he had to build one hell of an airtight case, in order to get Mike to go along with moving on from Paul Alexander.  

Now, if Marvin can only see the error of his own ways, and relinquish the play calling to the respective coordinators, and leave the challenge calls to the guys up in the booth, things should run a bit more smoothly.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 10:42 AM)Go Cards Wrote: We were happily blindsided for a change. 

Realistically, people for the most part hate change. This was a great change for Cincinnati. Not so much for anyone NOT a bengals fan.

And Cooper.

Reply/Quote
I'm just glad we aren't Indy or Cleveland. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say I think Indy might be in a worse position.

Granted, that argument carries little weight in the Football world when everyone cares about rings.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote

I don’t disagree. I just think that when you take a step back and realize that the two biggest power brokers of this team, a team that hasn’t won a playoff game in 15 years, are still in charge, don’t expect too much different.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 07:17 PM)N_B Wrote: I don’t disagree.  I just think that when you take a step back and realize that the two biggest power brokers of this team, a team that hasn’t won a playoff game in 15 years, are still in charge, don’t expect too much different.

Oh, but I am. Wink

Reply/Quote