Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think of all the changes since 2011.
(06-24-2018, 04:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh, but I am. Wink

I'm starting to raise my expectation level, as well.  Looking back to the '81 season.  The Bengals were coming off a year where some wholesale changes happened, a new offensive system was introduced for Ken Anderson.  They were pretty dismal, finishing 4-12 in '80, but much like the '17 Bengals, they showed good improvement toward the end of the year.  

The '81 Bengals came out with a new look and a new attitude, and rode the wave all the way to within 1 yard of winning Super Bowl XVI.  I'm hoping for the same or better from the '18 Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 05:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm starting to raise my expectation level, as well.  Looking back to the '81 season.  The Bengals were coming off a year where some wholesale changes happened, a new offensive system was introduced for Ken Anderson.  They were pretty dismal, finishing 4-12 in '80, but much like the '17 Bengals, they showed good improvement toward the end of the year.  

The '81 Bengals came out with a new look and a new attitude, and rode the wave all the way to within 1 yard of winning Super Bowl XVI.  I'm hoping for the same or better from the '18 Bengals.

This is our season for the taking if it gels. I almost feel the black cloud has started to move away from Cincinnati. This is going to be fun.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People talk about the "window for success" closing on the Bengals, but there are only 4 starters left from the '11 team (Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Huber).  Dunlap and MJ were not regular starters, but they played a lot.  Peerman, Clark Harris, and Vinny Rey were also on the roster.

So we have turned over most of the roster.

It all begins "up front".   Games are won or lost in the trenches.  No matter the QB or skill players on offense or defense, the lines win championships!  2018 is looking good!
Reply/Quote
C'mon.  They're gonna win 100+ games this season and go to the world series.  They probably already bought their tickets. And Andy Dandy will toss a few no hitters..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 03:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: C'mon.  They're gonna win 100+ games this season and go to the world series.  They probably already bought their tickets. And Andy Dandy will toss a few no hitters..  

You been in the cough syrup again gramps?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People talk about the "window for success" closing on the Bengals, but there are only 4 starters left from the '11 team (Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Huber).  Dunlap and MJ were not regular starters, but they played a lot.  Peerman, Clark Harris, and Vinny Rey were also on the roster.

So we have turned over most of the roster.

Turned over the roster but Dunlap, Green, Atkins, and Andy (to some people) are HUGE parts of this team and 4 of your best players. We have turned over most of the roster, yes, but our 4 best players are aging or have contracts that are expiring. Thats not ideal. 

And lets not forget about the guys we already lost. Whit, Zeitler, etc. The roster turned over for those guys but their replacements arent nearly as good.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 04:15 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I'm just glad we aren't Indy or Cleveland. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say I think Indy might be in a worse position.

Granted, that argument carries little weight in the Football world when everyone cares about rings.

I would ALMOST rather be in Clevelands position right now than ours. I truly believe in Baker Mayfield. Cleveland has a lot of good young talent on their team.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 09:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I would ALMOST rather be in Clevelands position right now than ours. I truly believe in Baker Mayfield. Cleveland has a lot of good young talent on their team.

Reports so far say he isn't looking too hot......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 10:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: Reports so far say he isn't looking too hot......

I read the same thing somewhere, can't remember where.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 10:46 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: There sure has been a lot of positives this off season.  Nice to be blindsided this way.   ThumbsUp

It absolutely was and not sure I would have had much interest in this season without all the good moves being made. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 09:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I would ALMOST rather be in Clevelands position right now than ours. I truly believe in Baker Mayfield. Cleveland has a lot of good young talent on their team.

Believe all that young talent has got to come around and be really good eventually. 

Seems they have had a million first and very early second round players on roster.

But not sold on Baker Mayfield per his height and never have been a Hue fan at all. Hue may even call some gimmicky play to get Baker's head knocked off before he has a chance to prove me wrong. 

Would be more fearful if they had selected Saquon Barkley and Bradley Chubb instead and then trading up for Lamar Jackson later in first. That would have been frightening to me. 

Would like to note that the Bengals have a lot of young quality guys now as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 04:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh, but I am. Wink

Loving the prelude of optimism this season of changes is bringing. 

Hope they come to fruition for all our sakes.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 10:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: Reports so far say he isn't looking too hot......

Perhaps he's discovering that he won't find that same Rah, Rah! type enthusiasm, as he had in college?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 12:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps he's discovering that he won't find that same Rah, Rah! type enthusiasm, as he had in college?

It's certainly a whole different ballgame at this level.  He may sure enough develop into a good player, but so far, it's been a struggle.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 12:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's certainly a whole different ballgame at this level.  He may sure enough develop into a good player, but so far, it's been a struggle.

Believe he will be either great or a bust with no in-between for him. 

But guess a chance at greatness is worth shooting for. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 12:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's certainly a whole different ballgame at this level.  He may sure enough develop into a good player, but so far, it's been a struggle.

I think a lot of young players have ran into this wall when entering the NFL. Heck, when you think about all the talent over the years that were supposed to be dynamic, only to be total disappointments, it's quite a few.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 09:54 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Turned over the roster but Dunlap, Green, Atkins, and Andy (to some people) are HUGE parts of this team and 4 of your best players. We have turned over most of the roster, yes, but our 4 best players are aging or have contracts that are expiring. Thats not ideal. 

And lets not forget about the guys we already lost. Whit, Zeitler, etc. The roster turned over for those guys but their replacements arent nearly as good.

All 4 of those guys are in their prime. Pay'em.

Cordy Glenn is much younger then Whit and is proven at LT. Either Westerman or Redmond could end up being
just as good as Zeitler who was purely a pass protector and not a very good run blocker. Most of all we now have
Frank Pollack here to coach these guys up and no longer the Piano Man.

Get outta here with this shit Weezy. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All 4 of those guys are in their prime. Pay'em.

Cordy Glenn is much younger then Whit and is proven at LT. Either Westerman or Redmond could end up being
just as good as Zeitler who was purely a pass protector and not a very good run blocker. Most of all we now have
Frank Pollack here to coach these guys up and no longer the Piano Man.

Get outta here with this shit Weezy. Hilarious

LOL. Im sorry but I have a man crush on Baker Mayfield. Apparently hes struggling (im not even sure what that means, we are in OTAs for heavens sake) but I dont care. I think hes the next Drew Brees with Tom Brady's attitude and competitiveness. Or as I like to put it...the Anti Dalton.
Reply/Quote
baker mayfield is only 5'11..while better than Manziel..not much

great attitude though
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 04:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: LOL. Im sorry but I have a man crush on Baker Mayfield. Apparently hes struggling (im not even sure what that means, we are in OTAs for heavens sake) but I dont care. I think hes the next Drew Brees with Tom Brady's attitude and competitiveness. Or as I like to put it...the Anti Dalton.

baker has a great attitude..skill set not much better than manziel
Reply/Quote