Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think they will be able to pay off their student loans?
Quote:Former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama announced Tuesday that they have each inked book deals with Penguin Random House — after a bidding war that topped $65 million.

Holy crap. Nice pay day.

http://www.vox.com/2017/3/1/14776542/obama-book-deal
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-01-2017, 04:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Holy crap.  Nice pay day.

http://www.vox.com/2017/3/1/14776542/obama-book-deal

Now the "How did they make so much money on the POTUS salary" conspiracy theories can finally start! 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-01-2017, 04:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Now the "How did they make so much money on the POTUS salary" conspiracy theories can finally start! 

My only question is if he is going to try to defer payment until after Trump lowers tax rates.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-01-2017, 04:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My only question is if he is going to try to defer payment until after Trump lowers tax rates.

Why?  He's not a citizen so he won't pay any taxes.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-01-2017, 04:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why?  He's not a citizen so he won't pay any taxes.   Ninja

whats the exhange rate from the dollar to whatever kenya uses (sticks and frogs)?
People suck
(03-01-2017, 04:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why?  He's not a citizen so he won't pay any taxes.   Ninja

For his half.  She's still on the hook.

(03-01-2017, 05:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: For his half.  She's still on the hook.

Yeah 'half'. Equal pay and all.
Not an Obama - specific comment, but I really hate how the Presidency is now a guaranteed ticket for making huge amounts of money.

Granted, I also hate how you generally need a lot of money to run in the first place.

What happened to political office being a service to the country, then get on with your normal life?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-02-2017, 12:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not an Obama - specific comment, but I really hate how the Presidency is now a guaranteed ticket for making huge amounts of money.

Granted, I also hate how you generally need a lot of money to run in the first place.

What happened to political office being a service to the country, then get on with your normal life?

POTUS is/was intended to be the ultimate position of public service in this country. Back when we were more of an agrarian society this would mean going back to your life on your estate and living out your days. Now, that's not so much the case. Most people don't have a farm to support their life without having some sort of career after their public service. At least they aren't getting out of office mired in debt like the earlier presidents.

The public also has opinions about what would be appropriate for a former POTUS, so that puts limits on what will be done because if you don't think they look at their approval ratings after being in office, you're kidding yourself. Speaking engagements, book deals, sitting on boards of non-profits, those are all seen as acceptable for a former POTUS to engage in.

Anyway, before the industrial revolution, before the 20th century, really, it was much easier for a former POTUS to live out his days in private. Now, especially with the increased role of the executive, everyone is interested in this exclusive club.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR