Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking Ahead......
would you sign Marvin Jones to an extension today? For say 3 years, 15 million?

Is this in the budget?
Too cheap, he will demand more?
Or let him walk due to injury concerns?

My vote is sign him now for a hometown discount if he would take it, otherwise I feel a team desperate for WR help (and their are many) swoop in and throw big money at him and he leaves.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
3 years, 15 mil? I'd take that. He's worth it, in my opinion. Other players that have gotten similar contracts are Emmanuel Sanders, Eddie Royal, Doug Baldwin, and Danny Amendola. I'd say he's better than all of them but Sanders....
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 11:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: 3 years, 15 mil?  I'd take that.  He's worth it, in my opinion.  Other players that have gotten similar contracts are Emmanuel Sanders, Eddie Royal, Doug Baldwin, and Danny Amendola.  I'd say he's better than all of them but Sanders....

Agree, MLJ is definitely worthy of being mentioned in the same company as the ones you listed.  And, he can take the top off of the defense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Would be nice to get that deal before this Sunday - because his value increases after this week.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd do that deal, but unfortunately that deal is not what he will end up getting.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Letting players like Marvin Jones walk will be a bit easier if we win the super bowl Smirk

(For the record, I want Marvin to stay, badly)
Reply/Quote
I would do the deal if I were the Bengals, and I would definitely accept the deal if I were Marvin Jones. He was not a top pick, so he does not have that financial security that some others have. Unfortunately, he also has a history with injuries... if I am him, I sign that deal in an instant.
Reply/Quote
They approached him about an extension, on their terms, but Marvin and his people basically decided to bet on himself this year. I think the Whitworth extension before the Baltimore game was an anomaly - a courtesy to a veteran. I'd fall off the chair if any other deals get done in-season.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 12:26 PM)jowczarski Wrote: They approached him about an extension, on their terms, but Marvin and his people basically decided to bet on himself this year. I think the Whitworth extension before the Baltimore game was an anomaly - a courtesy to a veteran. I'd fall off the chair if any other deals get done in-season.

All the power to him, they're benefitting from the extra motivation on a production basis.

Keeps it up he'll be compensated appropriately.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if they do one of those 'We'll offer Sanu and Mojo the same deal, but there is only one so whomever signs first gets it' deals like they did with Dunlap and Michael Johnson.

For that matter, how much is left under the cap now? And what are we currently paying Marvin Jones? We only need space for the increase (though we still have some defensive signings to do).

Reply/Quote
I would, but I also agree that before this season was the worst time for both sides to really fairly discuss an extension. Marvin Jones is a solid #2 WR, but also a guy you could replace with a veteran or through the draft. I'd be much more content to let the year play out and if he produces, well, someone in the league will overpay for him given some of the WR's currently getting run.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:47 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I would, but I also agree that before this season was the worst time for both sides to really fairly discuss an extension. Marvin Jones is a solid #2 WR, but also a guy you could replace with a veteran or through the draft. I'd be much more content to let the year play out and if he produces, well, someone in the league will overpay for him given some of the WR's currently getting run.

While MJ and Sanu have both had great games i dont know if either have had a full constant and healthy season yet.

We should be able to retain both i would think unless one catches fire.

But with everything sometimes you gotta replace one in the draft/ Free Agency.

Wait is greg little on the team?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 10:41 PM)corpjet Wrote: would you sign Marvin Jones to an extension today?  For say 3 years, 15 million?

Is this in the budget?

My vote is sign him now for a hometown discount if he would take it, otherwise I feel a team desperate for WR help (and their are many) swoop in and throw big money at him and he leaves.

Most definately. MLJ is a special talent and i want to keep him here with Green and Eifert.

He can take the top off of the Defense even better than Green IMO and he opens up plays for everyone else.

Even if he does not get a catch in a game he helps just by doing these things.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals approached a bunch of guys about extensions.

Iloka/Jones/MLJ all decided to play it out.

I do not see us losing any of those 3.
Also a handful of guys could get cheaper deals.
i.e Reggie and Leon.

After guys seeing what happened when MJ chased the cash I just don't see as many guys in a hurry to leave.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:47 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I would, but I also agree that before this season was the worst time for both sides to really fairly discuss an extension.  Marvin Jones is a solid #2 WR, but also a guy you could replace with a veteran or through the draft.  I'd be much more content to let the year play out and if he produces, well, someone in the league will overpay for him given some of the WR's currently getting run.

I doubt you could replace MLJ with a vet or Draft pick. You cannot teach his speed and ability to go up for the ball.

Plus he has great hands and is great after the catch. I am tellin yah, the dude is special. His only problem has been the injury.
Reply/Quote
Would definitely do that deal.

Understand why Marvin would roll the dice on himself as well though.

Will probably get more in the long run if remaining healthy actually.

But believe Bengals win either way. Signing him obviously would have been a win or having him balling out during a contract season and still will get first crack at him at the end most likely.

Can not blame either side here. Glad the Bengals tried and know why he is gambling yet hope this marriage last a while longer.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt you could replace MLJ with a vet or Draft pick. You cannot teach his speed and ability to go up for the ball.

Plus he has great hands and is great after the catch. I am tellin yah, the dude is special. His only problem has been the injury.

Agree with this.  He is the #2 receiver and is a difference maker.   I like Sanu, but Jones is the keeper here, injuries being the only downside.

Hopefully they can keep Jones, MLJ and Ioloka.   The question at this point is can they find a way to extend Andre Smith.  The improved line is part of why Dalton is looking so good.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 10:41 PM)corpjet Wrote: would you sign Marvin Jones to an extension today?  For say 3 years, 15 million?

Is this in the budget?

I don't think he is worth 5 million a year yet, close maybe 4 to 4.5 million due to his injury history.
I am also not sure on options the Bengals have with him. I get very confused on the tenders. They may be able to tender him for a 2nd round pick for one year at a  much cheaper rate, if so I would choose that option to gain more time for him to prove he can stay healthy and on the field.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 02:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't think he is worth 5 million a year yet, close maybe 4 to 4.5 million due to his injury history.
I am also not sure on options the Bengals have with him. I get very confused on the tenders. They may be able to tender him for a 2nd round pick for one year at a  much cheaper rate, if so I would choose that option to gain more time for him to prove he can stay healthy and on the field.

since he missed all of last season i would have thought he was a RFA as he doesnt have 4 full years needed...

But he was on the roster for a few games before going to IR so im not sure.
Reply/Quote