Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of living another 30 years?
It might be really dicey by then. Antibiotic and fungicide resistance is rapidly vanishing. The folks who study these things are saying tough luck if you get a bacterial or fungal infection by then. They've evolved to the point that modern antibiotics are basically useless against many strains already and by 2050 millions upon millions are likely to die from everyday infections ...again.  Whatdaya mean again? Well, before the advent of penicillin people routinely died from minor scrapes and bumps, but now there are even worse infectious bugs and they're growing stronger. We, as a society (world) have pretty much screwed the pooch with overuse of antibiotics and fungicides.
I don't care too much for alarmist news, but this isn't alarmist. If anything it's been swept under the carpet for profits. So...my solution? Stop going to doctors unless you're absolutely on your last legs and about to die in the next few hours.. I guess..and stop eating food as well. It's all doused with antibiotics and fungicides to make the problem much worse than ever imagined.. In other words, prepare to die. You WILL eventually die in any case..It just might be sooner than you previously expected..
 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/health/drug-resistant-candida-auris.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
The good news? There isn't any other than typhoid fever has only killed about 3800 people lately..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that Science is also working hard at developing stronger and more effective treatments, at the same time. I'd say that by 2050, medicine will have caught back up.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can't be.

Evolution isn't real.
Reply/Quote
I'll be 84, so by 2050 I''ll have lived a good life. Probably still waiting for a SB win....Lol
Reply/Quote
In 30 years I will just download my thoughts and memories into an android body and live forever.

SINGULARITY!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 10:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Keep in mind that Science is also working hard at developing stronger and more effective treatments, at the same time.  I'd say that by 2050, medicine will have caught back up.

Medical research has never been so expensive as it is now and new medications are becoming more expensive. Call me skeptical, but if millions begin falling like flies any new cure is going to skyrocket in price so ONLY the richest among us will be able to afford them....unless governments come to their senses and decide that profiteering on the only medicine to stop it will become nationalized or even internationalized..  Human evolution probably won't be able to keep up with the pace of bacterial or viral evolution.
On the other hand perhaps IF millions begin dropping we may see the biggest riots in human history to overthrow the pharmaceutical companies. Governments would be forced to act at that point.
Gee, apocalyptic scenarios sure are fun to think about, huh?  On the bright side I have NO intention of living into my 90s..My 80s are really pushing it as is. For the past 20 years I've pretty much been the primary caregiver for elderly folks, my dad and his wife and before that a good friend in her late 80s.. At 60 in July I'm thinking 20 more years will be my max and if I'm still ticking when this possible apocalyptic stuff happens I'm checking out on my own terms.. A nice OD of a lethal dose to permanent Z's has some appeal if push comes to shove.  ThumbsUp

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 30 years I will just download my thoughts and memories into an android body and live forever.

SINGULARITY!!!!

The perpetual Mike Brown is the greatest owner in NFL history android version, eh Fred? 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 10:05 PM)grampahol Wrote: The perpetual Mike Brown is the greatest owner in NFL history android version, eh Fred? 

This post has made me very, very sad.  Sad
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I have not taken good care of my body. I was single until I was 40.

Before I was married I slept too little and partied too much, but I was not fat.

Now I don't party as much and get more sleep, but I am fat as hell.

So over my lifetime I have cultivated pretty much every life shortening habit. I doubt I see my 80's.
Reply/Quote
I doubt if I got 30 more years. Like Fred, I partied a lot before marriage and now I’m way overweight. If I live to see 60 I’ll be more than amazed. Which right now is only 18 years away.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
There has been antibiotic resistance since the beginning of antibiotics. The issue is we haven't really spent much effort developing new antibiotics over the last few decades. There has been work recently to combat it and my guess is we will keep pace, but it'll always be an issue because it is simply the bacteria evolving to survive much like everything else on the planet.

[Image: Timeline-representing-both-antibiotic-de...rallel.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 10:02 PM)grampahol Wrote: Human evolution probably won't be able to keep up with the pace of bacterial or viral evolution.

No probably about it. Bacteria can reproduce every 30 minutes. Human generations take much longer. Bacteria are the dominant life form on this planet. Our egos simply don't realize it. Without bacteria, we cannot exist. But they can do fine without us.
Reply/Quote