Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Thinking of new coaches and my realistic prediction included
(11-25-2016, 09:13 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Sorry if this comes off as critical, but those choices are a bit uninspired. I'm just saying....those coaches are all retired, with the exception of Josh, however his shine is worn, being part of the failed head coaches tree of BB assistants.   How about:

David Shaw, Bob Stoops, Sean McDermott, Darell Bevell, Teryl Austin, Vance Joseph, Jim Schwartz, Kyle Shanahan.

I hate David Shaw. He needs to stay in college. I think Jim Schwartz is our guy.
Reply/Quote
Move Marvin to GM. He understands talent. If MB is scared of losing what we have going then make Marvin GM. We have to move on from Marvin we really do. He just looks careless now. The players even play careless now. He rubs off on them.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 12:25 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Move Marvin to GM. He understands talent. If MB is scared of losing what we have going then make Marvin GM. We have to move on from Marvin we really do. He just looks careless now. The players even play careless now. He rubs off on them.

Debatable.

Og is a bust after two years, even if you factor in the injury. This alone has cost us wins this year.

Keeps Nugent around even though he's clearly well past his prime and extra points are now iffy. This alone has cost us games this year.

Bodine is still the starting C, but he's one of the worst in the league and we just never consider selecting an upgrade.

We selected Gio Bernard over Levon Bell, a 3 down back. Marv apparently thought 3rd down back was the same as 3 down back. I know there are a lot of Gio fans, but he's no where near the level of Bell. If we'd have selected Bell we wouldn't have needed to draft Hill.

Do I dare mention Margus Hunt in the second round? Or Devon Still in the second round? You pick starters in the 2nd round, not projects.

He keeps Paul Alexander around and that in itself is a sizeable negative, if Marvin is even allowed to fire Alexander. Alexander may have one of those special relationships with Mikey Brown similar to the clandestine motel room meetings Bodine has with Alexander.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 01:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Debatable.

Og is a bust after two years, even if you factor in the injury. This alone has cost us wins this year.

Keeps Nugent around even though he's clearly well past his prime and extra points are now iffy. This alone has cost us games this year.

Bodine is still the starting C, but he's one of the worst in the league and we just never consider selecting an upgrade.

We selected Gio Bernard over Levon Bell, a 3 down back. Marv apparently thought 3rd down back was the same as 3 down back. I know there are a lot of Gio fans, but he's no where near the level of Bell. If we'd have selected Bell we wouldn't have needed to draft Hill.

Do I dare mention Margus Hunt in the second round? Or Devon Still in the second round? You pick starters in the 2nd round, not projects.

He keeps Paul Alexander around and that in itself is a sizeable negative, if Marvin is even allowed to fire Alexander. Alexander may have one of those special relationships with Mikey Brown similar to the clandestine motel room meetings Bodine has with Alexander.

Marvin Jones, Aj Green, Geno Atkins, Tyler Boyd, I think Andrew Billings will be good. I agree with Nugent and i wanted Bell over Gio at the time we we're looking for that fast shifty explosive back. I still wanted Bell though.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 12:17 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: I don't like Josh Mcdaniels he made some bad decisions when he coached Denver. i think he made a terrible trade for kyle orton giving up big draft picks.

The guy i want is Jim Schwartz. He's done good as a defensive coordinator. He gets into the game and shows emotion.

We need a motivator as HC. Someone who gets into the game. That is what we need. Not someone who doesnt show emotion.

I see your point, and he possibly could do good, but he might just be better fit for d coordinator, cause he coached a horrible lions team. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 01:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Debatable.

Thank you,someone who thinks like me.even the free agents we pass up every year, I'm thinking marvin has a lot to do with it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 09:13 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Sorry if this comes off as critical, but those choices are a bit uninspired. I'm just saying....those coaches are all retired, with the exception of Josh, however his shine is worn, being part of the failed head coaches tree of BB assistants.   How about:

David Shaw, Bob Stoops, Sean McDermott, Darell Bevell, Teryl Austin, Vance Joseph, Jim Schwartz, Kyle Shanahan.

I don't know any of those guys except Vance Joseph, I wouldn't be mad about it.players seem to like him a lot. Jim Schwartz intriguing but his lions team was horrible. Don't know the other guys but would like to know about them. And at this point I just want marvin gone, I know what to expect from him and it's not good,with any new coach I will have new hope. 
Reply/Quote
I preface this by saying there are likely 3 options:

1. Marvin stays

2. Marvin retires and they plug him in as director of player personnel, which could lead to Tobin taking a job elsewhere and stress on the board. They plug in Vance Joseph or Paul Guenther and the staff stays similar with maybe a few moves (Alexander hopefully).

3. Marvin retires and steps aside. Katie and Tobin run the show but let the HC pick their staff. The upside is that most of the options mentioned in this post: McDaniels, Marrone, Mangini, Schwartz, ect... are guys that fit the bill of where they may look next. A marquee name (Gruden, Dungy, Cowher, etc..) won't come out of retirement without pay and power, so scratch them. An up an coming assistant or college coach is just as unlikely to mess up their big shot on a roster they can't control. But a few of the names mentioned failed their first stints to some degree and may see Marvin's mediocre longevity as the job security they sorely need.

I think #2 happens, but I'm hoping for #3. Heck, pay Marvin and throw those lifer assistants money if you love them Mikey, just let Katie have the team and pick the coach and let Tobin pick the players.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 02:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the new head coach doesn't immediately fire Paul Alexander they don't deserve the job in the first place.

I think this is a part of the issue for the Bengals.  If they bring in a HC from outside, they are essentially firing every coordinator and line coach.  That is why getting Hue back makes so much sense, because they had a transition plan in place and they wouldn't have to fire all their other coaches, even if that is what so many of us think is needed.  
Reply/Quote
I think the Browns will actually keep their #1 draft pick, which I'm assuming they're going to get, and take Trubisky. We could still do a QB trade, but not with the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 12:25 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Move Marvin to GM. He understands talent. If MB is scared of losing what we have going then make Marvin GM. We have to move on from Marvin we really do. He just looks careless now. The players even play careless now. He rubs off on them.

I agree.. Marvin did the unthinkable and managed to crack MB on alot of decisions. I'm happy Marvin got us over the Bungles slump. But I think he's reached his peek as a coach.

I say Marvin becomes our GM, and we bring in a fireball coach like Gruden. Gruden likes QB's and loves Andy Dalton. The question is... can Marvin Lewis and Jon Gruden coexist???
Reply/Quote
Next coach=Jim Haslett. Lol
Reply/Quote
Former Bengal coach Ray Horton returns.
Reply/Quote
Hey guys, what's up with the new forum look. I'm not liking it,I can't even check the notifications thing it won't let me, or when you Rep someone St just makes the page freeze till you back out of the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
Back to McCarron..... I won't say it "won't" happen, but I will be very surprised if he is traded to a team in our division and have to play him twice a year.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2016, 02:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Former Bengal coach Ray Horton returns.

As DC or HC?  Not sure I see them dumping Paul Guenther, but you never know.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 11:49 AM)corpjet Wrote: Im also going to throw out a HC name that hasn't been discussed........ Doug Marrone, the former OC for the Saints (didn't call the plays), the former Syracuse HC who left for the Bills HC job (did decent) in his time there and opted out of his contract when ownership changed thinking he was getting the Jets job.

He is the current O-line coach at the Jaguars.

Love Marrone, but it's going to be difficult for him to earn trust again after quitting on Buffalo (due to ownership uncertainty). I personally don't blame him, but owners still may be reluctant to hand the keys off to him.

(11-25-2016, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Eric Mangini. Billicheck discipline that they threw in the fast lane too soon. Dude is still only 45 years old.

I like Mangenius, but I think he's been blacklisted for alerting the NFL to spygate.

(11-25-2016, 03:37 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Maybe they are thinking about moving the team to St. Louis. Bigger market?

Interesting. The lease is up soon, right? If the Bengals move from Cincy, I won't be following them. My allegiance is to Cincy, not necessarily the Bengals. If they move, they'd be below the Steelers in my mind. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 12:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting. The lease is up soon, right? If the Bengals move from Cincy, I won't be following them. My allegiance is to Cincy, not necessarily the Bengals. If they move, they'd be below the Steelers in my mind. 

Via Amansa Seitz of WCPO.com, the taxpayers in Hamilton County, Ohio already have coughed up $920 million for Paul Brown Stadium, which opened in 2000. With the county beginning to foot the bill for some of the team’s game-day operating expenses in 2017 (to the tune of $2.7 million per year and growing) along with other expenses will put the total cost to $1.1 billion through 2026, when the lease with the team expires.

It’s safe to say that if/when the Bengals decide come 2026 that they need a stadium, they shouldn’t count on getting anything close to that from the county.
“Is it worth it? I don’t know,” Hamilton County Commissioner Chris Monzel said, via Seitz. “My gut says it probably hasn’t generated the rate of return on investment that other projects do. From a civic pride standpoint, people are excited about [the Bengals]. You’ve got some intangibles that you can’t really put a price tag on.”
In more and more cities, the price tag for those intangibles has become zero dollars and zero cents. It’s highly unlikely that, in any city at any point now or in the future, the contribution for a stadium will be $1 billion or more, ever again.

So, the lease as of next season will be costing the county/taxpayers...more...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 12:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Love Marrone, but it's going to be difficult for him to earn trust again after quitting on Buffalo (due to ownership uncertainty). I personally don't blame him, but owners still may be reluctant to hand the keys off to him.

I like Mangenius, but I think he's been blacklisted for alerting the NFL to spygate.

Interesting. The lease is up soon, right? If the Bengals move from Cincy, I won't be following them. My allegiance is to Cincy, not necessarily the Bengals. If they move, they'd be below the Steelers in my mind. 

I'd be shocked if they moved.  The Browns certainly don't strike me as a family that would be itching to move to a place like LA.  

If they do, I'm with you.  Screw em'.  I've tolerated their BS mickey mouse way of conducting business since I was a little kid because they're my team, from my city.  I played the hand I was dealt.  I'm emotionally attached to them in a way I probably will never be to another sports team.  

Let some other city see the absurdity that is this family and their view of what the business of running an NFL team is all about.  See how long people in a town like LA put up with that act.  There are way too many other forms of entertainment in a place like that for people to dump money into a penny-pinching excuse factory on a regular basis.  The Browns would be in for a rude awakening and a reminder of why two teams were run out of that town in the 90's.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for answering my question guys, you all are so helpful
Reply/Quote