Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Third Down Conversions
With the defense being in the spotlight with its atrocious playing this year I dont know if anyone has paid attention to how badly this offense is performing in 3rd down situations. Through 9 games this team has only three games where they converted more than 50% of third downs. The sad thing is alot of the defenses on these teams aren't that great yet we cant convert third downs? Even if Marvin produces a miracle and turns around this defense to something respectable in the coming weeks, the offense needs to move the ball down the field more consistently.

Saints 0-6
Bucs  5-13
Chiefs. 4-11
Steelers 6-12
Dolphins 2-11
Panthers 4-10
Falcons 7-12
Ravens 5-13
Colts 4-8
Reply/Quote
19th in the league at 38% but half of the league (15 teams) are between 41% and 35%. So in just one game we could drop to 26th or move up to 12th.

Definitely something our offense needs to improve.
Reply/Quote
Lazor honestly hasn't impressed me. The offense becomes practically nonexistent once they go off-script, and then there's the third down issue as you've pointed out.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The bad play of the defense has overshadowed the offense, so the O is getting a pass for the most part. Overall this season they are about 15th or so in points scored, and 25th in yds/game. Then throw in the 3rd downs in the op, this offense is leaning towards below average status imo.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 05:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The bad play of the defense has overshadowed the offense, so the O is getting a pass for the most part. Overall this season they are about 15th or so in points scored, and 25th in yds/game. Then throw in the 3rd downs in the op, this offense is leaning towards below average status imo.

Fans don't notice how bad the offense is because it was dead last last year.

Anything looks better compared to that dumpster fire.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Lazor honestly hasn't impressed me.  The offense becomes practically nonexistent once they go off-script, and then there's the third down issue as you've pointed out.

I wonder if Lewis will put Hue at OC this season?
Reply/Quote
My personal belief is that the Cincinnati Bengals encounter too many third down situations. It’s all about down in distance in this game. Look at the best offenses in the NFL. What do they have in common? They face very few third down situations in the first place. Many times they’ll make first down from second down or even make consecutive first downs. It is to this level to which the Bengals should aspire.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Lazor honestly hasn't impressed me.  The offense becomes practically nonexistent once they go off-script, and then there's the third down issue as you've pointed out.

Bingo,

There's a big dead spot in the middle of games. Around the middle of 2nd qtr. and entire 3rd qtr. first 5 minutes of 4th qtr. this offense can't get out of it's own way. We probably lead the league in 3rd qtr three and outs. I haven't checked lately but I'm sure it hasn't changed much, we were averaging 2.5 points per 3rd qtr.

Luckily we've found a way to pull it together and score at the end of games. But I'm not in any way in love with Lazor's offense.
Reply/Quote
I honestly think this team needs to decide if it really wants to be a running team, then commit to it. Mixon looked good last week and then we fell behind and pretty much had to pass.
Reply/Quote