Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Coming Weekend Is Pete Rose Weekend, and 1976 Reds !!!
Friday Night, the 40th reunion of the 1976 Big Red Machine. The Cincinnati Fans will get to see Geronimo, Conception, Bench, Driessen, Perez, Foster, Morgan, Griffey and Rose honored in a ceremony.....and Saturday the Cincinnati Fans will get to see Pete Rose finally join the others in The Reds Hall Of Fame on Pete Rose Night.......Before he was The Hit King, he was The Cincinnati Kid. Charlie Hustle. Cincinnati deserves it, the Reds deserve it.......Pete Rose should forget Cooperstown this weekend and bask in the Cincinnati love he will get here, that he would never get at a Cooperstown celebration. ....There may be some tears of joy to these nights......It will be a historic Reds weekend.....It's been a long time coming......As a Beatles song from Yellow Submarine movie goes : All Together Now, All Together Now, They're All Together Now !!!!!........Have a great weekend Pete, enjoy this......Reds and Reds Fans, enjoy this.....and to all the 1976 Reds, Great to have you all back......and All Together Now.........I hope this leads to # 14 retired and a Pete Rose statue, now that he is allowed in Reds Hall of Fame. ....What a weekend coming up. To me, this will be my 4th of July.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I gotta be honest Kevin..I'd much rather see the current reds start winning than watch the has beens year after year.. I remember well the big red machine, but it kind of leaves me thinking we're acting a bit like the squeeler fans bragging about past glory..
Do we really need to dust off the old memories in lieu of a decent team?
I'm kind of split on this stuff..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well...the 2016 Reds are not going to start winning.

This weekend is about Cincinnati and Pete Rose

Fox Ohio plans to air all this.....Friday from 6 to 7 PM is the 1976 Reds pregame reunion. ........Saturday from 3:30 to 4:30 is the Pete Rose going into Reds Hall of Fame pregame ceremony......and Sunday from 12:30 to 1:30 is Pete Rose uniform number 14 being retired ceremony......

Some may not care about Pete Rose going into Reds Hall of Fame and number retired and surrounded by the 1976 Big Red Machine.....but Many, Many, Many do care.....For Many, it's been a long time in coming and long over due.....

So it should be a great weekend for Pete, Reds, Cincinnati and THE FANS.......and has little to do with how bad the 2016 Reds are......but....THIS WILL BE a HISTORIC WEEKEND in REDS HISTORY.....and maybe the Reds can win a game or two this weekend before what should be sellout crowds all 3 games.  No, GABP will not sell out all weekend to see the 2016 version of the Reds.  It will sell out all weekend for the 1976 Reds and for PETE.....Fans will by every ticket to see PETE go into Reds Hall of Fame and # 14 retired. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Big fan of the Big Red Machine. One of the highlights of my youth. Pete Rose, not so much. Used to be, when I was young, before he showed the world what a lying, cheating scumbag he is. I find the whole idea of honoring him distasteful and downright embarrassing.

Reunions are kind of weird to me anyway. I find no thrill in seeing a bunch of old guys limping and hobbling onto a field where none of them ever played. It kinda takes some of the shine off the beautiful memories of when they were young. The '76 Reds rank right up there with the '27 Yankees as one of the greatest teams of all times. I prefer to remember them that way.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I will be at Saturday's game. Glad the Reds can recognize him for his player record.
Reply/Quote
Seems like the only way to fill the stands at GABP is to keep trouting out players from the BRM. Short of that who really cares what this team is doing anymore? It has to be embarrassing to all the players, old and new to be honoring arguably the greatest team of all time only to see the current team set records nobody wants.
I've been a Reds fan all my life, but I have to admit that this bunch is trying really hard to lose me as a fan. I don't live in the area anymore with zero intentions of returning and really want to care about them, but frankly I find fewer and fewer reasons to give a rats ass..and yet I still cling to my hopes things will change.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I've been watching this weekends pregame ceremonies......

The new MLB Commissioner said over the Winter that Pete Rose will NOT be re-instated any time soon.  That means no Cooperstown, no MLB Hall Of Fame...Now that is bad news for Pete but it is also more bad news for Reds Fans that went to the Reds games in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's.  Fans that went and rooted for The Reds and saw a lot of Pete Rose over those 3 decades.

Enter Reds owner Bob Castallini going to bat on this and pushing to get the OK from the MLB Commissioner for Reds to put Pete in the Reds Hall of Fame, Retire his number 14, and put up a statue to be unveiled in 2017 season.  So this is it for Pete, per the MLB Commissioner.  No Cooperstown, but he gave way to Bob Castallini.....This is it for Pete....

So this very well could be the ONLY Hall of Fame Weekend Pete Rose ever has in his lifetime.  That is why Bob Castallini has drawn it out over Friday, Saturday and Sunday like a Cooperstown weekend.  All his teammates in town comparable to Cooperstown and all the Hall of Famers on the stage. The Reds had many Reds Hall of Famers in town for this as Pete gives his induction speeches.  Castallini is giving Pete at least one Hall of Fame weekend in his lifetime. 

So lets forget the 2016 Reds for one weekend, which I am more than glad to do......This weekend is special because it's probably the ONLY Hall of Fame weekend he will ever have in his lifetime.....It's a big thing for Pete....but also a big thing for Reds teammates, broadcasters and writers,...but how about a big thing for FANS of The Reds. ...This IS a big weekend. ....This is NOT just the Reds trotting out old players......Pete was lucky the MLB Commissioner allowed even this, the other MLB Commissioners did not.......THIS IS A BIG WEEKEND.....

Now I want to thank owner Bob Castallini, who brought back the Reds Hall of Fame....Owners Scott and Lindner shut down the Reds Hall of Fame and Fan voting on it...They were both pretty cheap and just were not going to put out any money towards it.  So they shut it down......BOB CASTALLINI  brought back the Reds Hall of Fame Fan voting and has built the BEST team Hall of Fame in baseball. No other team has such a nice Hall of Fame. He also really fixed up Great American Ball Park.  When it opened under Lindner, it wasn't very much. MLB wasn't rushing to have the All-Star Game there.  It wasn't much....Castallini came in and has changed Great American into one of the great baseball parks in the USA, and why the All-Star Game did come to the new version of this park....So I can't say enough about Bob Castallini .....He turned generic Great American Ball Park into a thing of beauty...He returned Hall of Fame voting to the Fans....He built the best team Hall of Fame in baseball, The Reds Hall of Fame......He had Marty and Joe honored and Nuxhalls sign off words on the stadium. ..Uniform numbers retired that needed retired....Statues of players that needed statues....and now giving Pete Rose what will probably be Pete Rose ONLY Hall of Fame weekend he will ever see.....BOB CASTALLINI brought class to THE REDS....His teams were in the play-offs and their year was 2012 when they were up 3-1 in the Play-Offs and then lost 3 straight to The Giants. ...2010 and 2012 were good teams in Play-Offs....Now it became time to rebuild the last few years, as most teams have to....Bob Castallini isn't low class or cheap class, he is FIRST CLASS......I can't say enough about the huge upgrade in ownership Castallini has been... When you see the beautiful stadium and Hall of Fame, thank Castallin for that.  He gave Cincinnati a First Class place to watch baseball.  He spent the extra bucks and went the extra mile...Since I can't say enough about him, Nuxhalls words in neon for all on the highway to see, thanks to Castallini, " Rounding Third, And Heading For Home ".
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote