Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Feels Like a "Must-Win" Game
(09-25-2016, 11:25 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It's more than just 'making' the playoffs IMHO.  Like I  said before, the two times they made it to the SB, they had the #1 seed at 12-4.  With the adversity they are facing this year, I don't see much hope without at least a #2 seed and they can't get that without winning the division.

Well like Nately is saying, we haven't turned seeding into an advantage for nearly 30 years. I'd wager it's irrelevant.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 11:55 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Well like Nately is saying, we haven't turned seeding into an advantage for nearly 30 years. I'd wager it's irrelevant.

Not if you want a SB win.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 11:59 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Not if you want a SB win.

I guess it comes down to what we want versus what we deem success in these parts.  I hear a lot of folks say that we should be respected because we've made the playoffs 5 years in a row, so why quibble about the fact that we went in as the 6th, 6th, 3rd, 5th, and 3rd seed rather than 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st and 1st?

I guess I don't understand this narrative that we could have made it to or won the SB by beating Denver or NE for the AFC Championship if only we didn't have to deal with those pesky Texans, Texans, Chargers, Colts, and Steelers in the WC round.

Only 1 team that we lost to in the opening round managed to win their next game (Colts in 2014), so while I realize anything can happen, I just don't see how confident I can be that a team that can't make it out of the opening round would fare much better if they had a bye to circumnavigate a 9-7 team and go directly to a 12-4 or better one.  That's all. We've lost at home, we've lost on the road, we've lost with our starter, we've lost with our backup, we've lost against their starting QBs, we've lost against their backup QB, so on and so forth. I'm not saying it DOESN'T matter, but I can't in good conscience wave my hand and say "We woulda won IF xyz happened" because damn near everything HAS happened.

Or maybe getting the 1st seed is all we need to break the drought. Who knows. Prove me wrong, Bengals!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I see your point, but technically every game is a must win. For this team, almost every game is a should win.

I understand there are areas of concern, mainly the OLine and running game. However, Dalton looks to have taken yet another step forward this year. Regardless of pressure, he has stood in and helped keep this team in both games. Without trying to open the wound, this really should be a 2-0 team. I know coulda, shoulda, woulda doesn't mean shit, but this team has a grit that I don't know I've ever seen before from a Bengals team.

While Dalton has gotten blasted for it in the past, his ability to stay calm and keep his head has been a huge benefit already this season. Getting his ass handed to him against the Jets, no problem. Stands in and gets the W. Getting jobbed by the refs with no running game and still taking some shot from the Steelers, no problem. Dalton stood in and had us driving for the tie late in the game.

I've always believed in Andy and always thought he could be a solid QB, but he just looks different. He's unfazed and keeps his head and keeps this team in games. As things fall into place, I believe this team will be formidable and will finally get that elusive postseason win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote