Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 Things I Think I Know
(01-02-2021, 09:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seriously, man, WTF are you talking about?  Bengals aren't paying Gio anywhere close to "Austin Ekeler type money"

Austin Ekeler....4 years $24.5 million....$9.5 million cash this year

Gio Bernard......2 year $9.7 million.......$4.1 million cash this year

Cap Hits

Gio Bernard
2020 - 4.76
2021 - 4.76

Austin Ekeler
2020 - 5 mil
2021 - 5.75 mil

Cap Hit Rankings (Ekeler @ 10, Bernard @12) https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/running-back/

I never said they made an exact amount.  I said if you keep Gio you're Austin Ekeler type of money.

Do we really need to split hairs over the difference between a 4.76 mil runninng back and a counterpart making an average of 5.375 over these two seasons of Gio's extension?  Their pretty comparable as far as their compensation tier.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Do we really need to split hairs over the difference between a 4.76 mil runninng back and a counterpart making an average of 5.375 over these two seasons of Gio's extension?  Their pretty comparable as far as their compensation tier.

"Cap Hits" don't have anything to do with "Compensation".  One player can have an average yearly salary twice as much as another and still have the same cap hit.

Ekeler's contract is worth 252% more than Bernard's.  His yearly average is 26% more than Bernard's.  That is not "splitting hairs",  Those are very big differences.

No one claims they are getting paid like someone who makes 26% more than them.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 04:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: both have had flashes... Defense has been more consistent it seems

We invest so much on the offense.. yet, our D is usually better with regards of investment and return. I say we invest on the defense wholeheartedly. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Gio is overpaid, but not by enough that would justify cutting him or demanding he renegotiate his contract.

He will cost us $4.1 million next year.  On free agent market he gets 3 million.

His cap hit (the only figure that really matters) for 2021 is $4.76 million, which will rank Gio 14th among all RB's:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2021/cap-hit/running-back/

His production doesn't match the cost. We'd save $4.1 million (against the cap) by cutting him and could easily replace his production with a host of RB's who would cost around $1 million. This is a no-brainer. Set your nostalgia aside.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote