Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This OL Is Garbage
(09-13-2020, 09:49 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: How did Jonah Williams look? Was he up against Bosa at all today?

Not particularly good.

Bosa was going against Hart most of the day once they realized he was a turnstile.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Hopefully the O-line play doesn't have a negative impact long term on the rookie QB like it has on many before in the league. Joe made plays on that last drive but if he takes that many hits and sacks every week, he is going to start running for his life at the snap.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It was impossible for them to address all their needs in one offseason. They actually spent a ton of money on good free agents. As far as tackle goes they drafted Williams 11th overall last season and then tried to trade up in round 2 for Ford or Taylor but couldn’t move up it takes two teams. There was a run on tackles at the end of round 1 this season and they didn’t wanna reach when they picked agin. The other avenue is free agency. Last year the best free agent tackle was Ja’wuan James who was an average player and the Broncos made him the highest paid RT in the league. This year Conklin was the best RT free agent and is actually good. The Browns signed him the 1st minute of free agency and made him the highest paid RT in the league. Also maybe some players don’t want to sign here. Best case next year we draft a stud RT in round one. The bengals don’t like paying guards I thought Gram Glasgow would have been a good signing.
Reply/Quote
What bothers me the most about the line is that after last year the average fan knew Hart was not good. Our team could have went after Jason Peters or Conklin knowing we absolutely needed a fix. The Offensive line coach came in with a poor game plan. If I can see that then WTF?
Reply/Quote
I didn’t really notice Jordan at all today. That’s usually a good thing for the OL...

Reply/Quote
The OL was my biggest concern entering the season, and they're still the #1 concern after the first game. Hart is just terrible. Has he ever been good? The XSF signing was so underwhelming. I'm not sure why people bought into the XSF hype. The guy was a bust for the Texans, got cut by the Titans, and then was a backup in Dallas who only played due to injury. 

A big reason I was so concerned was because Lap was struggling to even offer up praise for them. He kept noticing that the OL couldn't put up any consistency when working together. He noted that Hart was struggling, XSF looked identical to John Miller, MJ and Jonah were very up and down, and Hopkins was just okay. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals have no one to blame but themselves for poor o line play. Its literally the same players they had out there last year and they were bad.

Front office needed to address it better this off season especially with a rookie qb coming in. They didnt.

Two of the starters are new. Williams and XSF.
They should have given Fred Johnson a drive or two after seeing Hart continually get pwned.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Williams was okay considering it was his first game. Settled in by the end of the game. Still needs to keep progressing but I'm optimistic.
Reply/Quote
More proof Turner is a horrible line coach. He’s been assuring everybody since last year that Hart was getting it and his football IQ is sky high. Too bad his actual IQ isn’t. The poor offensive line play was what finally ended Marv’s tenure here and it looks like it will end ZT’s too if he doesn’t figure it out. It might be Turners fault for being a bad coach and a bad judge of talent, but it will ultimately be ZT’s responsibility.

For those that claim you can’t fix everything in one offseason, the offensive line has been bad for 5 YEARS now.
Reply/Quote
Bengals did not address the offensive line because they drafted a QB who did not need an O-line.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:56 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: More proof Turner is a horrible line coach. He’s been assuring everybody since last year that Hart was getting it and his football IQ is sky high. Too bad his actual IQ isn’t.  The poor offensive line play was what finally ended Marv’s tenure here and it looks like it will end ZT’s too if he doesn’t figure it out. It might be Turners fault for being a bad coach and a bad judge of talent, but it will ultimately be ZT’s responsibility.

For those that claim you can’t fix everything in one offseason, the offensive line has been bad for 5 YEARS now.

The fact that it has been bad through multiple OCs and Line Coaches shows it is a FO problem. I think they like Fred Johnson long term but were hoping to get a few games into the season with Hart to give Johnson time to develop. Seems like too lax of an approach with your new franchise QB taking these hits.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals did not address the offensive line because they drafted a QB who did not need an O-line.

Straw man. Nobody ever said Burrow doesn’t need an OL, they just said he doesn’t need everything to be completely perfect around him. There’s a quite a gap between completely perfect, and running for his life on every play because his RT thinks he’s a matador. Give Burrow an even slightly below average OL and he will make plays.

Reply/Quote
There is still time to get the OL playing better. We have some young guys who are sure to improve. The biggest issue seems to be RT, which is nothing new. Price played better than he has ever played and he may end up starting at RG after yesterday. Hart, I just dont know. He should probably be replaced. Jonah was making his first NFL start after not playing football in a long time. He was ok and got better as the game went on.

Turner got things fixed up last year, so lets see what he does now. Its only the first game and still kind of like a preseason game with a lot of new faces. Not worried yet. I see a lot of fixable things.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing is a sure thing except for Bengal fans to bytch after a loss. How many folks wanted this guy:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/12/titans-isaiah-wilson-arrested-with-career-off-to-messy-start/

I know I did.

Yeah. We've all lived through soooooo much great football as Bungles fans. Talk about spoiled!

It's as if we expect these guys to come up with 2 wins EVERY YEAR. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Funny thing is, this is a thread that could have been started at almost any time in the past few years.
Reply/Quote
Who would have guessed counting on a first round pick coming off injury and signing a journeyman guard wouldn't work? Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 03:04 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Who would have guessed counting on a first round pick coming off injury and signing a journeyman guard wouldn't work? Mellow

Mike Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:57 PM)Destro Wrote: Funny thing is, this is a thread that could have been started at almost any time in the past few years.

It has Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:58 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The OL was my biggest concern entering the season, and they're still the #1 concern after the first game. Hart is just terrible. Has he ever been good? The XSF signing was so underwhelming. I'm not sure why people bought into the XSF hype. The guy was a bust for the Texans, got cut by the Titans, and then was a backup in Dallas who only played due to injury. 

A big reason I was so concerned was because Lap was struggling to even offer up praise for them. He kept noticing that the OL couldn't put up any consistency when working together. He noted that Hart was struggling, XSF looked identical to John Miller, MJ and Jonah were very up and down, and Hopkins was just okay. 

I think we all knew this was going to be a train wreck coming into the season. The team had so many problems to address and they put alot into the defense. Having said that I still think if they picked one  very good offensive lineman, that would've made a huge difference with that and the addition of Jonah coming in and Hopkins solid playing under center. 

But they didnt.

Doesnt matter who we have in the backfield and wideouts if the line wont allow for a play develop. Yesterday was painful to watch the scrambling due to lack of protection. I dread watching them play against some of the top teams we have coming up...
Reply/Quote
Williams looked decent after a shaky start. Jordan & Hopkins were OK, though Hopkins getting blown up contributed to Mixon's fumble IMHO. Price playing fairly well is a plus.

FWIW, PFF Grades for last game (2019):

LT: J. Williams: 63.5 (n/a)
LG: Jordan: 74.1 (43.7)
C: Hopkins: 67.5 (62.4)
LG: XSF: 75.5 (60.1)
LG: Price 51.7 (41.9)
LT: Hart: 63.9 (57.6)
Reply/Quote