Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Years Offense.......
We all know Andy has the weapons most QBs dream of...........minus a questionable offensive line.......

The probable suspension of #55 and lots of young guys leaves our defense a huge question mark.....

Anyone think we can expect to win games in shootouts this year, say averaging over 30 points on offense and hoping for our defense to be mediocre........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
If that is what we need, forget it. Not gonna happen. I for one think the defense will be fine. We will get pressure on the QB that we haven't seen around here in a long time. That will make everyone's job on the backside easier.

The vontaze suspension is worrisome, but as long as we can stay afloat without him defensively, the season should still have a chance for success.

Reply/Quote
I think we'll be fine because our first 5 games are pretty "easy" with the Packers game being an exception.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:59 AM)corpjet Wrote: We all know Andy has the weapons most QBs dream of...........minus a questionable offensive line.......

The probable suspension of #55 and lots of young guys leaves our defense a huge question mark.....

Anyone think we can expect to win games in shootouts this year, say averaging over 30 points on offense and hoping for our defense to be mediocre........

I think the offense is ready to roll, but I was counting on the defense for a few extra possessions.  I can see the Bengals with a greater emphasis on rushing the ball with two TE sets and trying to grind down opponents.  They won't likely average 30 on offense, but I could see 25, at least in the first 5 games, and that will be enough in 4 of the first 5 games.  I really, really wanted to see Burfict against Rogers.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I see another 2007, 2008, 2010, or 2016 season coming our way. All the pieces are in place but the ability to coordinate those pieces is glaringly absent. I really want to be wrong about this but I feel the Cincinnati coaches, especially Ken Zampese, are employed above their abilities, not to mention above their pay grades. The impact of the losses of Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson is incalculable.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:42 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I see another 2007, 2008, 2010, or 2016 season coming our way.  All the pieces are in place but the ability to coordinate those pieces is glaringly absent.  I really want to be wrong about this but I feel the Cincinnati coaches, especially Ken Zampese, are employed above their abilities, not to mention above their pay grades.  The impact of the losses of Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson is incalculable.

I don't see them as bad as those years, but I agree about a lot of these coaches.  I'm still holding judgment on Zamp due to the horrendous play up front last season, but I admit I had my doubts about him as a QB coach, let alone an OC.  I see 8-8, and I'm pretty firm on that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:04 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: If that is what we need, forget it. Not gonna happen. I for one think the defense will be fine. We will get pressure on the QB that we haven't seen around here in a long time. That will make everyone's job on the backside easier.

The vontaze suspension is worrisome, but as long as we can stay afloat without him defensively, the season should still have a chance for success.

The problem with the defense last year was they started off slow and sluggish. With a few new faces at key positions, I could see more of the same this year. Add in Burfict's suspension and those five games to start the season may not be quite as easy as some expect.

If the Bengals can come out of the first five games 3-2 or better, that would be a good start.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:42 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I see another 2007, 2008, 2010, or 2016 season coming our way.  All the pieces are in place but the ability to coordinate those pieces is glaringly absent.  I really want to be wrong about this but I feel the Cincinnati coaches, especially Ken Zampese, are employed above their abilities, not to mention above their pay grades.  The impact of the losses of Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson is incalculable.

Agree. Zampese was a bit shorthanded last year, so he got a pass.  I even recall hearing Dehner say that there was a chance that the team would move on from him after last year.  

I think his run here is over if he can't figure out how to make this bounty of weapons and speed translate to a significantly better result than last year.

As I've said before, if they tank this season, then I hope Marvin is shown the door in favor of a young offensive-minded coach.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:01 AM)samhain Wrote: Agree. Zampese was a bit shorthanded last year, so he got a pass.  I even recall hearing Dehner say that there was a chance that the team would move on from him after last year.  

I think his run here is over if he can't figure out how to make this bounty of weapons and speed translate to a significantly better result than last year.

As I've said before, if they tank this season, then I hope Marvin is shown the door in favor of a young offensive-minded coach.  

Serious question...........

Have members in the forum ever embraced any OC? We had Gruden, he was chastised by many. We had Hue Jackson, again hatred and negatives flying every week. We could have 1984 Bill Walsh and people would say he sucks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:06 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Serious question...........

Have members in the forum ever embraced any OC? We had Gruden, he was chastised by many. We had Hue Jackson, again hatred and negatives flying every week. We could have 1984 Bill Walsh and people would say he sucks.

I liked Gruden, but felt he abandoned the run too early....especially with a young QB, but damn.....was he ever an improvement on Brat.  Myself, I was very high on Hue Jackson, and still am.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: I liked Gruden, but felt he abandoned the run too early....especially with a young QB, but damn.....was he ever an improvement on Brat.  Myself, I was very high on Hue Jackson, and still am.

He did and also had that problem in Washington ad a headcoach. I've read that since McVay took over as the OC Gruden has really balanced out the playcalling.

I liked Hue but I felt at times he would get to cute with his play calling which lead to killing drives.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:19 AM)Synric Wrote: He did and also had that problem in Washington ad a headcoach. I've read that since McVay took over as the OC Gruden has really balanced out the playcalling.

I liked Hue but I felt at times he would get to cute with his play calling which lead to killing drives.

I agree with you there as well.....but what I DID like was his aggressive nature.  Sometimes it backfired, but when it didn't, the offense looked like world beaters.  I guess it was his aggression that endured him to me.

Reply/Quote
I don't see us winning shootouts. I think we're going to need to play a ball control offense with short, quick passes. If we drop back to throw too many times, Dalton is going to get sacked a lot.

While Ced may have improved...Fisher doesn't look good. Bodine is Bodine. And Hopkins is a questionmark.
Reply/Quote
Shootouts? No, not on a consistent basis. Even if they had a really good o-line, I would be hesitant to say yes due to Zampese, and to be quite a honest Andy as well to a point. Not saying they cant win a shootout game, but to do so on a consistent basis is different.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:00 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote:  
 I see 8-8, and I'm pretty firm on that.

That's my upper ceiling for 2017. You don't want to know my win-loss prediction but I want to be wrong. Usually I'm among one of the more optimistic posters on here but my gut isn't leaning that way.
Reply/Quote
I'm not seeing this "bounty of weapons"....

Both Ross and Mixon are just prospects. Until they do it in the pros that is all they are. LaFell is an okay receiver but definitely a possession one and not a threat. Ditto Boyd. Core is inconsistent to put it mildly. And then there is the only legit threat receiver - AJ.

Hill is slow and dances too much and Gio is a question mark after the injury. Eifert has not played this preseason and already is coming up hurt, Kroft looked okay.

And of course the line is shaky. Og has nowhere to go but up after his incompetent showing last season. Fisher looks better but still needs more reps at his new position. Bodine looks to be determined to hold on to his "worst Center in the NFL" title. Hopkins is a question mark.

With some luck on players putting it together and after it all gels this may be a good offense - but not yet.
Reply/Quote

Disagree about Hue.  I think he was liked more than disliked.  Gruden was liked for a period of time because he wasn't Brat.  
Reply/Quote

Not that I can remember. Brat was criticized as being too predictable. Hue and Gruden were criticized for getting too cute with the playcalling (why go for a 20 yard 50-50 to AJ on 3rd-and-2?). Zampese is feeling too predictable.

Unless this offense is in the top 5 or 10, there will always be critics.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: there will always be critics.

Fixed this for ya.  Ninja Wink
Reply/Quote