Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This day in history
I do a (mostly) daily history joke on an old page I run.

No, the jokes are not always (often) good.

Today's amused me for political reasons.

Quote:This day in history:

Today, February 24, 1803 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled itself to be the final interpreter of all constitutional issues. Well, wasn't that convenient.

Good for them!

Maybe our history buffs can add daily events to this thread.  Humorous or not.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-24-2017, 10:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: I do a (mostly) daily history joke on an old page I run.

Good for them!

That IS funny. LOL
I didn't use this one today as there was no joke.

Quote:March 7, 1927 - A Texas law that banned Negroes from voting was ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.

90 years ago...62 years AFTER the Civil War...and the SCOTUS had to tell Texas that laws banning blacks from voting was unconstitutional.

Sad.

The law was passed in 1923.
(03-07-2017, 09:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't use this one today as there was no joke.

90 years ago...62 years AFTER the Civil War...and the SCOTUS had to tell Texas that laws banning blacks from voting was unconstitutional.

Sad.

It's not like they had the internet back then.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-07-2017, 09:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't use this one today as there was no joke.

Sad.

One of the truths of our government is that our liberties/rights may be codified in the Constitution or in the USC, but they aren't really complete until the courts rule them as such. Selective incorporation is the name of the game. It wasn't until 1925 that the courts actually ruled that states must comply with the 14th Amendment at all, but that was only related to free speech. The 7th and 8th Amendments still aren't fully incorporated by the states to this day.

To keep with the theme of the thread, today in 1936 Hitler brook the Treaty of Versailles by sending troops into the Rhineland.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-07-2017, 10:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One of the truths of our government is that our liberties/rights may be codified in the Constitution or in the USC, but they aren't really complete until the courts rule them as such. Selective incorporation is the name of the game. It wasn't until 1925 that the courts actually ruled that states must comply with the 14th Amendment at all, but that was only related to free speech. The 7th and 8th Amendments still aren't fully incorporated by the states to this day.

To keep with the theme of the thread, today in 1936 Hitler brook the Treaty of Versailles by sending troops into the Rhineland.

Yeah they just wanted it in writing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Sad.

1923... And what a gilded age it was. One might say it was a time when America was great. What do you say? Let's make her great again!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-07-2017, 10:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One of the truths of our government is that our liberties/rights may be codified in the Constitution or in the USC, but they aren't really complete until the courts rule them as such. Selective incorporation is the name of the game. It wasn't until 1925 that the courts actually ruled that states must comply with the 14th Amendment at all, but that was only related to free speech. The 7th and 8th Amendments still aren't fully incorporated by the states to this day.

A role model of a strong leader if there ever was one! Maybe Our Real President will honor today by sending troops into a country.
Wouldn't that be grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-24-2017, 10:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: I do a (mostly) daily history joke on an old page I run.

Good for them!

Ever wonder why we can't have nice things?
(03-07-2017, 12:15 PM)xxlt Wrote: 1923... And what a gilded age it was. One might say it was a time when America was great. What do you say? Let's make her great again!

(03-07-2017, 12:17 PM)xxlt Wrote: A role model of a strong leader if there ever was one! Maybe Our Real President will honor today by sending troops into a country.
Wouldn't that be grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!?

Now you know.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-07-2017, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ever wonder why we can't have nice things?

Now you know.

Because people make jokes about a President that speaks in "t-shirt slogans"?
(03-07-2017, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because people make jokes about a President that speaks in "t-shirt slogans"?

Nope, because people have to bring their butt hurt into a thread that has zero to do with it. But, hey I was trying to keep your thread on track. Let 'em eat!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-07-2017, 12:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, because people have to bring their butt hurt into a thread that has zero to do with it. But, hey I was trying to keep your thread on track. Let 'em eat!

(02-24-2017, 10:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe our history buffs can add daily events to this thread.  Humorous or not.
(03-07-2017, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because people make jokes about a President that speaks in "t-shirt slogans"?

How come you have a picture of a black baby trying to strangle a white baby?

Today, March 7, 1906 - Finland granted women the right to vote. Coincidentally on this day in 1908 - Cincinnati's mayor, Mark Breith announced before the city council that, "Women are not physically fit to operate automobiles."

'Murica! 
(03-07-2017, 02:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How come you have a picture of a black baby trying to strangle a white baby?

Guys, stop making political jokes in a thread about political jokes. This is a safe space.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

On this day in 321 CE, Constantine declared that Sunday was the day of rest in the Roman Empire, just in case you wanted to know who to blame for Chickfila not being open.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-07-2017, 12:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, because people have to bring their butt hurt into a thread that has zero to do with it. But, hey I was trying to keep your thread on track. Let 'em eat!

Why are you bringing your butt hurt in here?

(03-07-2017, 06:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Why are you bringing your butt hurt in here?

[Image: 53028023.jpg]