Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This defense is horrid
They have to be the worst defense in football. They are horrible against the pass and maybe even worst against the run. Murphy is a complete bust.. This teams problems are way more than just a hurt Burrow...
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:26 AM)Tony Wrote: They have to be the worst defense in football.

You're the worst poster on these boards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Part of me believes that if the offense were more productive the defense would be better as well. As it is, they are being asked to do too much with little hope of it meaning anything.

The defense has even had flashes of brilliance but there is no arguing against the amount of yards and points allowed.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:26 AM)Tony Wrote: They have to be the worst defense in football. They are horrible against the pass and maybe even worst against the run. Murphy is a complete bust.. This teams problems are way more than just a hurt Burrow...

I actually agree with the statement,this defense is not good plain and simple, too much zone  too much off coverage and pathetic tackling..
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:42 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Part of me believes that if the offense were more productive the defense would be better as well. As it is, they are being asked to do too much with little hope of it meaning anything.

The defense has even had flashes of brilliance but there is no arguing against the amount of yards and points allowed.

Idk. Their 1st 3 scoring drives came on the first drive. A drive after a long offensive drive by us scoring a TD, and right after halftime. If anything you’d think those would be the times they’d get stops.
Reply/Quote
I think we do have some good young pieces. CTB (before getting hurt) Battle, Wilson, Hill, and I know he had a rough game but I think Turner is going to be good for us. We have no depth and no pass rush outside of Trey. Our interior Dline is struggling as well. Murphy has shown nothing. I think Scott has finally lost his position.
Reply/Quote
I thought Murphy had his best game. He provide a push and looked better than Sample. To me he is progressing. We have seen these last two games how important Hubbard is to the defense.
Reply/Quote
I assumed the defense would start slow this year. We have a lot of new, young players. But we are 10 weeks into the season now I don't think we are suddenly going to get a lot better.

And it is not just one position group. Problems stopping the run. Problems rushing the passer. Problems with tackling. Problems with coverage.

Not going to say we are the worst in the league, but this is not a defense that can win in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 03:01 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think we do have some good young pieces. CTB (before getting hurt) Battle, Wilson, Hill, and I know he had a rough game but I think Turner is going to be good for us. We have no depth and no pass rush outside of Trey. Our interior Dline is struggling as well. Murphy has shown nothing. I think Scott has finally lost his position.
Murphy is progressing from what I saw, he played much better than the last game..I take serious issue with the scheme itself against Baltimore..The lack of aggression in lou anarumos game plans against Baltimore is a mystery,no blitzes not even simulated pressures just to sit back and allow Lamar all day to throw just is not the way to beat them..

I also take issue with the tackling it's been pathetic all year long don't what they can do to change it at this point, got some serious issues to address in the off-season and that's for sure..
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:45 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: I assumed the defense would start slow this year.  We have a lot of new, young players.  But we are 10 weeks into the season now I don't think we are suddenly going to get a lot better.

And it is not just one position group.  Problems stopping the run.  Problems rushing the passer.  Problems with tackling.  Problems with coverage.

Not going to say we are the worst in the league, but this is not a defense that can win in the postseason.

It doesn't look like a Superbowl winning defense, so all we can do is hope they improve. I'm usually in the superbowl or bust mindset, what else matters, but at this point we can use this part of the season to focus on improving our defense without effect of caring about the win/loss as much. Try a few new things instead of just in practice lol. If the defense were playing better we would be closer to the Browns position of OK we might be able to go .500 without our QB/RB.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 03:01 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think we do have some good young pieces. CTB (before getting hurt) Battle, Wilson, Hill, and I know he had a rough game but I think Turner is going to be good for us. We have no depth and no pass rush outside of Trey. Our interior Dline is struggling as well. Murphy has shown nothing. I think Scott has finally lost his position.
Murphy is progressing from what I saw, he played much better than the last game..I take serious issue with the scheme itself against Baltimore..The lack of aggression in lou anarumos game plans against Baltimore is a mystery,no blitzes not even simulated pressures just to sit back and allow Lamar all day to throw just is not the way to beat them..

I also take issue with the tackling it's been pathetic all year long don't what they can do to change it at this point, got some serious issues to address in the off-season and that's for sure..
Reply/Quote
For a defense that was pretty good going to the SB and then was given the 1st three picks in the draft in back to back years. One would not suspect this sort of drop off.

Albeit the offense has done them no favors this season either. Such a frustrating year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Tony serving doses of reality this morning. Careful, the powers that wannabe will be politicking behind the scenes to get you suspended.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Guys like CTB are poor tacklers.
Reply/Quote
Least they benched Scott

Battle came in and had a bunch of tackles

Our safeties providing nothing in the secondary really ended this defenses hopes of succeeding because we know coming in we’d have a bottom tier pass rush

Our only hope was to get good Scott play, good Dax play and resurgent Awuzie play

We got a rising CTB and a learning DJ Turner but we lost competent FS play, Awuzie sucks and now we gotta dip back in that draft for more DB
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:00 AM)Go Cards Wrote: For a defense that was pretty good going to the SB and then was given the 1st three picks in the draft in back to back years. One would not suspect this sort of drop off.

Albeit the offense has done them no favors this season either. Such a frustrating year. Such a frustrating year-after-year-after-year-after-year.

I felt it necessary to edit your post.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
The speed and other physical tools are there. What is missing (and what is weird for a Lou Anarumo defense) is intelligent play. The bad tackling is technique. The receivers aways being wide open is bad zone coverage read and react. The run D problems are almost all mental errors not sealing an edge (usually the backside of the play) and as a result mobile QBs and cutbacks eat us alive. In short they are not playing fundamentally sound defense. What they need is intensive practices focusing on these things even to the point of no off day until they show they are getting them right.
Reply/Quote