Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This is EXACTLY what I want to hear.....
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Competition-opens-on-O-line/77f1b858-3317-4263-b4a7-dacd02ddef3e

Outside of Price, Boling, and Glenn, competition to start on the oline is now open. May the best man win......
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Competition-opens-on-O-line/77f1b858-3317-4263-b4a7-dacd02ddef3e

Outside of Price, Boling, and Glenn, competition to start on the oline is now open. May the best man win......

Define "best".  Ninja
Reply/Quote
I'm glad,but either Marvin is full of crap or dumb as bricks to think only 1st round lineman are good. And everyone in the draft just sucked. That's what bugs me is his dumb comments like that. There's a guy name bellicheck who wins super bowls with late rounders all the time.
Reply/Quote
Fisher, Ogbuehi, Westerman, Redmond, and Hopkins have one year to prove they deserve to start beyond 2018. If the RG or RT position isn’t solidified by anyone from this group after this season, I expect to see another high pick or two for the right side next draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really thought that Westerman and Redmond did very well when they started. I think they will do fine at guard. The RT position is what I'm concerned about. I hope Fisher can do well this year at that spot or Hart, but I just dont know. I think that's definitely going to be the weak spot in the line.... which is better than every position.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:13 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'm glad,but either Marvin is full of crap or dumb as bricks to think only 1st round lineman are good. And everyone in the draft just sucked. That's what bugs me is his dumb comments like that. There's a guy name bellicheck who wins super bowls with late rounders all the time.

What he said was you aren't likely to get a lineman in the later rounds who will come in and be better than someone who has already been here. I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Sure, there could be that Geno Atkins type, but those are the exception, not the rule.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:13 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'm glad,but either Marvin is full of crap or dumb as bricks to think only 1st round lineman are good. And everyone in the draft just sucked. That's what bugs me is his dumb comments like that. There's a guy name bellicheck who wins super bowls with late rounders all the time.

He didn't mean "ONLY 1st round linemen are good". They have done fine with linemen after the 1st.

He meant that in this particular draft, the linemen stunk after round 1 & 2. The T position in particular was trash after McGlinchey and Miller. Absolute trash.
Reply/Quote
Have them compete like this...

https://youtu.be/-pqJnZ-iMCc
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He didn't mean "ONLY 1st round linemen are good". They have done fine with linemen after the 1st.

He meant that in this particular draft, the linemen stunk after round 1 & 2. The T position in particular was trash after McGlinchey and Miller. Absolute trash.

Not buying that though lol that's what's stupid to even say. I never even heard of Redmond till last year and he did fine,he was a udfa . Could of gotten someone to groom. Don't you think it's weird they didnt.even sign a udfa tackle ? So no tackle even though they were interested in mcglinchey doesn't make sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:37 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Not buying that though lol that's what's stupid to even say. I never even heard of Redmond till last year and he did fine,he was a udfa . Could of gotten someone to groom. Don't you think it's weird they didnt.even sign a udfa tackle ? So no tackle even though they were interested in mcglinchey doesn't make sense.

They were only interested in Mcglinchey if he fell to 21 but I think they still would have went center... I believe they have 5 tackles on the team now so no surprise they did not UDFA any tackles.. they want as many reps as possible for the open RT position with the players they have now 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They were only interested in Mcglinchey if he fell to 21 but I think they still would have went center... I believe they have 5 tackles on the team now so no surprise they did not UDFA any tackles.. they want as many reps as possible for the open RT position with the players they have now 

I guess. But I will say ced o doesn't deserve another chance ,pretty much single handly ruined 2016 he was so bad,and sucked it up last year too when we could of been fighting for playoffs with better tackle play.hes a turnstile. But I bet it's because he's being paid to play through out his contract.
Reply/Quote

They don't have enough scouts to get deep enough to find a diamond in the rough, there. You've heard the excuses about how they get the same info from scouting services that all the teams do...

Thanks, Mike.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:48 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I guess. But I will say ced o doesn't deserve another chance ,pretty much single handly ruined 2016 he was so bad,and sucked it up last year too when we could of been fighting for playoffs with better tackle play.hes a turnstile. But I bet it's because he's being paid to play through out his contract.

All teams see their struggling players as terrible but many players still continue to play for other teams , for example Bodine signed with Buffalo etc.

Pollack might be able to improve Ced and be serviceable especially as a backup... I really like our picks 3 to 5 and am glad we did not reach for a tackle we did not feel comfortable with.. it seems we reached for Cedric so maybe this time they did not repeat that.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They were only interested in Mcglinchey if he fell to 21 but I think they still would have went center... I believe they have 5 tackles on the team now so no surprise they did not UDFA any tackles.. they want as many reps as possible for the open RT position with the players they have now 

I cant find what site I saw it but it said we signed Austin Fleer OT 6'8 316 from Colorado Mesa......so who knows.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 03:08 AM)pulses Wrote: I cant find what site I saw it but it said we signed Austin Fleer OT 6'8 316 from Colorado Mesa......so who knows.

6’8?? Sounds like another Dennis Roland...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 03:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 6’8?? Sounds like another Dennis Roland...

Dennis Roland, the eternally pass eligible lineman LOL 

On a similar note, would love to see some heavy packages with Mixon running the ball. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They don't have enough scouts to get deep enough to find a diamond in the rough, there. You've heard the excuses about how they get the same info from scouting services that all the teams do...

Thanks, Mike.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using Professional Scouting Services. You get the same information from them as you would your own scouts, without the personal bias one way or another.... and with that information you can send your own scouts to verify. Makes perfect sense to me. And obviously we are not the only team using them, or they would not exist.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:29 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I really thought that Westerman and Redmond did very well when they started. I think they will do fine at guard. The RT position is what I'm concerned about. I hope Fisher can do well this year at that spot or Hart, but I just dont know. I think that's definitely going to be the weak spot in the line.... which is better than every position.

I agree.

would be very happy with westerman at rg - think he's a better pass protector than redmond...if he earns that over Redmond /Hopkins in pre season then we should be good.

no clue at RT...would be simplest if Fish just made step up but I am not convinced.  

at the end of last season I said we should just field our 5 best OL ...giving guys spots without earning them was counter productive. 

Unfortunately our 5 best lineman includes 3 OG right now....wonder if Boling at RT is too much of a reach?!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They don't have enough scouts to get deep enough to find a diamond in the rough, there. You've heard the excuses about how they get the same info from scouting services that all the teams do...

Thanks, Mike.

False.  Just another hayer myth.  Bengals are actually one of the better teams at finding players in the 4th round or later (Atkins, Boling, Iloka, Jones, Lawson)

Since 2010 there have only been 60 players drafted in the 4th round or later who have accumulated at least 50 starts.  That works out to fewer than 2 per team on average.  The Bengals have FIVE of those players.  
Reply/Quote

Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with Marvin.  He's just voicing what he's being told.  He's trusting his coach's and Pollack and Lazor think they have the personnel on staff to fill the roles of RT and RG.
Reply/Quote