Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is Still Carrying Over from 2015
Marvin Lewis lost the team in the fourth quarter of the Bengals' most recent playoff game against the Steelers. He never got the team back. 2016 was the evidence and the first game of 2017 was proof.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that's part of it...but we've lost a lot of our core free agents and the roster has aged.

With this offensive line, I don't think many teams would have a 10-6 season.
Reply/Quote
Carry over from 2005 is more like it.
Reply/Quote
we lost Marvin Jones, Andrew Whitworth, and Kevin Zeitler. We didn't replace them and now we are in serious trouble because of it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: we lost Marvin Jones, Andrew Whitworth, and Kevin Zeitler. We didn't replace them and now we are in serious trouble because of it.

Sanu, Reggie Nelson, Leon Hall, Peko, etc.

Those were all core guys.

Really Jones is the only one we adequately replaced. The others were replaced with inferior players.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: we lost Marvin Jones, Andrew Whitworth, and Kevin Zeitler. We didn't replace them and now we are in serious trouble because of it.

And Hue and Zimmer.  We don't replace as much as we promote a subordinate and brag about the money "we" saved. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And Hue and Zimmer.  We don't replace as much as we promote a subordinate and brag about the money "we" saved. 

Yep. And Jay Gruden.

Brain drain - When all our good coaches left.

But, our offensive line is terrible too!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And Jay Gruden.

Brain drain - When all our good coaches left.

But, our offensive line is terrible too!

Yea but Jones, Sanu, Flacco, Zietler, and Whitworth are all super over-paid.  As I said, we can all fluff ourselves about how much money "we" are saving while Dalton is lying on his back counting stars.  Ok, so we scored 0 points at home against a team we predicted to be worse than the Browns...so what...money saved.

Money saved.  We can't extend players because Burfict and Eifert blah blah blah, successful model, blah blah Mixon is a HOF-er, get rid of Hill, so on and so forth, we have players that WANT to be here, blah blah blah, Marvin Lewis is a GM.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sanu, Reggie Nelson, Leon Hall, Peko, etc.

Those were all core guys.

Really Jones is the only one we adequately replaced. The others were replaced with inferior players.

I wouldn't call hall or peko core guys.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yea but Jones, Sanu, Flacco, Zietler, and Whitworth are all super over-paid.  As I said, we can all fluff ourselves about how much money "we" are saving while Dalton is lying on his back counting stars.  Ok, so we scored 0 points at home against a team we predicted to be worse than the Browns...so what...money saved.

Money saved.  We can't extend players because Burfict and Eifert blah blah blah, successful model, blah blah Mixon is a HOF-er, get rid of Hill, so on and so forth, we have players that WANT to be here, blah blah blah, Marvin Lewis is a GM.

Yep. The money we saved by not signing a C and LB who could cover TE's 2-3 years ago was used to build THIS TEAM. Ponder that.

Sometimes I think fans root for Mike Brown's wallet more than the actual team on the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:26 PM)2slick Wrote: I wouldn't call hall or peko core guys.

Peko and Hall absolutely were. Peko was good in the run game and he's much better than Billings is now. Hall was for years then he aged and got injured to the point where he was a slot CB...but he's better than what we have there now.
Reply/Quote
How does this worthless POS still have a job?

Does he have a pic of Mikey Boy blowing a llama or what?  

[Image: usa-today-8062833.0.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:26 PM)2slick Wrote: I wouldn't call hall or peko core guys.

They were.  They both were the only remaining starters that were here both before and after Zimmer came and went.  They bought into the Bengals 100%, they both played with tremendous heart and were leaders both on the field and in the locker room.  Peko often caught lots of flack from us fans for not being a "superstar", but what he was, was a reliable big body that played an important role.  Not just in his physical duties on the field, but as an encouraging, optimistic voice on the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin Lewis lost the team in the fourth quarter of the Bengals' most recent playoff game against the Steelers.  He never got the team back.  2016 was the evidence and the first game of 2017 was proof.

Did you watch the presser ? Marvin seems very checked out. Perhaps we'll get lucky and he will quit ?
Reply/Quote
I will say after that game a lot changed

That's honestly the last time I cared

That loss was basically ours until Hill fumbles and it was on my birthday

That loss brought to the light the problems with our leadership and discipline. Honestly after that loss I question every Sunday why I tune in. Check my post history I barely watched football last year. I only came back this year because of our decent draft

But I predict I watch less than 6 games again this year
Reply/Quote
It's not losing core guys because we actually keep our core guys around for longer periods of time than other teams

Our main issue is losing core guys in their prime, not letting guys go before it's too late and not having strategic plans to replace people before we let them walk.

Just off the top of my head we let Reggie Nelson walk after he beat year and our replacement plan was Shawn Williams a guy who never showed anything. We let Peko walk with nothing in place. We let MJ walk the first time with no established talent in place. We let 2 lineman walk with literally nothing of substance in place

Like I think ppl get confused with how shitty we are. We're not shitty because we let guys go. We're shitty because we let them go at the wrong times and don't have suitable plans to replace them
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin Lewis lost the team in the fourth quarter of the Bengals' most recent playoff game against the Steelers.  He never got the team back.  2016 was the evidence and the first game of 2017 was proof.

Or, the offensive line got handled by a very good defense today. 

Either or.   Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Back in 1991 Paul Brown died and his son took over the team. The Bengals were destined to lose as long as he's in charge.  1992 was evidence of that. Every year since then is proof...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. The money we saved by not signing a C and LB who could cover TE's 2-3 years ago was used to build THIS TEAM. Ponder that.

Sometimes I think fans root for Mike Brown's wallet more than the actual team on the field.

Meh, people root for the Bengals and some of us have been rooting for them for our entire lives and associate that fandom and the brand name with our family members, alive and departed...it's some powerful stuff.  We don't like to think something we like so much could truly be fundamentally flawed so we go all sour grapes on the players who didn't get it done here because that takes the heat off the organization and those we are stuck with.  That's much easier on the psyche.

I noticed this the most after 2010.  Palmer had some encouraging games without Chad and TO so we declared those two the reason we lost.  Palmer was going to be revitalized and seemed so happy to be playing with young, selfless WRs who wanted to be here and with a new HC once Marvin fell on his sword.  Fast forward and Palmer wants out and Marvin is sticking around and suddenly Palmer goes from one of the reasons 2011 onward will be better to being the chief reason we stunk it up for years.

People are still ragging on Gresham and convincing themselves that it would be impossible to have Eifert and Gresham on the same team for some reason.  We thought Hill was going to usher in a golden age of Bengals football; a prediction that blew up in our faces hard and he's been one of the prime enemies of success ever since.  Reminds me of musicians who put their hearts and souls into an artistic statement of an album which flops and then spend the rest of their careers talking about what an obvious pile of crap the album always was.

Sour grapes and cognitive dissonance, abound.  Not to mention the fact that we've convinced ourselves that the is NFL is downright fixed to prevent us from winning.  Does Mike Brown want to win?  Clearly he doesn't care, but it's easier to pretend that he DOES want to win and it just isn't working "his way" and so on.  Alas, I could go on, but this is the nature of the beast.  

Optimistic take:  We aren't going to win them all and the Ravens aren't going to lose them all.  Additionally, we lost a game we were supposed to win so to even things up we just need to win a game we are supposed to lose.  Packers on the road is a stretch.  Baltimore in their stadium?  The Steelers once?  The Texans?  At Broncos?  We'll be back on our usual ho-hum "Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL" schedule soon enough.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:47 PM)Housh Wrote: It's not losing core guys because we actually keep our core guys around for longer periods of time than other teams

Our main issue is losing core guys in their prime, not letting guys go before it's too late and not having strategic plans to replace people before we let them walk.

Just off the top of my head we let Reggie Nelson walk after he beat year and our replacement plan was Shawn Williams a guy who never showed anything. We let Peko walk with nothing in place. We let MJ walk the first time with no established talent in place. We let 2 lineman walk with literally nothing of substance in place

Like I think ppl get confused with how shitty we are. We're not shitty because we let guys go. We're shitty because we let them go at the wrong times and don't have suitable plans to replace them
It's all the fault of the front office. Always has been; always will be.
Reply/Quote