Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is What We the Fans Wanted: A Complete Overhaul
Mike Brown finally did the right thing and hired a new coaching staff and as much as it pains me to write this, we need to give the new coaches a chance to do their job and inculcate the proper fundamentals. This process doesn’t happen overnight. It’s hard for players coached in bad technique to relearn and internalize good technique.

The Cincinnati Bengals did not slide from competitive to non-competitive overnight either. The fall took place over several seasons and I suspect a restoration to consistently making the playoffs might be a year away.

However, making the playoffs is not good enough. We all believe that. Personally, I believe Cincinnati has a better long term competitive prognosis with Zac Taylor as head coach than I did with Marvin Lewis at the helm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know. A training camp where these coaches supposedly emphasized fundamentals should be enough to make guys better. Instead, A LOT of players made mental errors against the 49ers.

It just looks like bad coaching...especially on defense. When you are down to your what 6th choice for DC, you probably didn't get a great candidate.

Free agency was lackluster too. Signing 2-3 upgrades would have really revamped the roster. What scares me is a lot of the guys they signed had ties to new coaches they brought in. So it appears that the coaches wanted these poor players.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. A training camp where these coaches supposedly emphasized fundamentals should be enough to make guys better. Instead, A LOT of players made mental errors against the 49ers.

It just looks like bad coaching...especially on defense. When you are down to your what 6th choice for DC, you probably didn't get a great candidate.

Free agency was lackluster too. Signing 2-3 upgrades would have really revamped the roster. What scares me is a lot of the guys they signed had ties to new coaches they brought in. So it appears that the coaches wanted these poor players.

Hard part is to understand what we will get each week especially from the defense because they were absolutely fundamentally sound. Tackling overall was excellent, guys filling lanes and setting the edge, not falling for misdirection. Will be interesting to see what we get tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:44 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Hard part is to understand what we will get each week especially from the defense because they were absolutely fundamentally sound. Tackling overall was excellent, guys filling lanes and setting the edge, not falling for misdirection. Will be interesting to see what we get tomorrow.

The 49ers came up with a gameplan that the Bengals couldn't adapt to. Bottom line is we were outcoached and couldn't adapt.

You saw an inexperience coaching staff get worked over.

I'd say the Seattle game was a coaching loss too. Better playcalling here and there and we win that.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. A training camp where these coaches supposedly emphasized fundamentals should be enough to make guys better. Instead, A LOT of players made mental errors against the 49ers.

I blame the players more. It’s the players not catching, tackling, blocking etc. these guys are pros they shouldn’t have to be taught how to tackle, catch and do on. No excuse for veterans to look as bad as they did in the SF game.also it makes no sense to say Brown, Tobin or the coaches have no idea what their doin yet the 7th DC option must not be any good. By that logic he’s just as good as their first option. Not sure what the deal was with the DC’s but maybe it’s the lack of talent on that side of the ball that drove them away.
Reply/Quote
The coaches will know what they have and what they need after a full season, and they will all be on the staff long enough to plan a good offseason next year. I dont feel like we had a staff in place who were familiar enough with what kind of players we had to even know how to address free agency properly. They didnt really know which players would fit better in their system or not. We have tons of potential but a lot of holes in critical areas. One offseason wasnt enough to address them all. But all that being said, if Jonah and Cordy were healthy we may have looked like a different team running the ball so far. We will never know, but its not like they didnt draft the best OT in the draft. They did what they cou8ld, but injuries bite.
Reply/Quote
Had to look up inculcate
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:29 AM)bengaloo Wrote: The coaches will know what they have and what they need after a full season

[Image: 4dd3c922cadcbbef36010000-750.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. A training camp where these coaches supposedly emphasized fundamentals should be enough to make guys better. Instead, A LOT of players made mental errors against the 49ers.

Most every move they made for coaches were from past ties.

I'm not so sure it was players they necessarily wanted but it was players they were granted or "gettable" for this ownership.

More a matter of convenience or the path of least resistance.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:34 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: [Image: 4dd3c922cadcbbef36010000-750.jpg]

Forgot about him !!

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:31 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Had to look up inculcate

Yup
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 05:49 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I blame the players more. It’s the players not catching, tackling, blocking etc. these guys are pros they shouldn’t have to be taught how to tackle, catch and do on. No excuse for veterans to look as bad as they did in the SF game.also it makes no sense to say Brown, Tobin or the coaches have no idea what their doin yet the 7th DC option must not be any good. By that logic he’s just as good as their first option. Not sure what the deal was with the DC’s but maybe it’s the lack of talent on that side of the ball that drove them away.

I do think some of it is the players. But, they were woefully out of position, didn't set the edge on defense, etc. It's like they had no concept of the scheme.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:29 AM)bengaloo Wrote: The coaches will know what they have and what they need after a full season, and they will all be on the staff long enough to plan a good offseason next year. I dont feel like we had a staff in place who were familiar enough with what kind of players we had to even know how to address free agency properly. They didnt really know which players would fit better in their system or not. We have tons of potential but a lot of holes in critical areas. One offseason wasnt enough to address them all. But all that being said, if Jonah and Cordy were healthy we may have looked like a different team running the ball so far. We will never know, but its not like they didnt draft the best OT in the draft. They did what they cou8ld, but injuries bite.

That's just not accurate. Tayler and Co watched film of last season and evaluated what we had on the roster.

re: Cordy Glenn - I think IF he was healthy, that there was a good chance they waive him rather than move him to Guard and pay him that big salary if he even struggled slightly in camp.

And Glenn is one of the worst run blocking tackles in football. I doubt that he will be a great Guard.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 10:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn is one of the worst run blocking tackles in football. I doubt that he will be a great Guard.

I don't believe Glenn is that bad at run blocking.  Why do you keep making this claim?

Buffalo lived by the run while he was starting for them.  They ranked in the top six in rushing 5 of the 6 years he was there and finished #1 twice.

LeSean McCoy lead the league in rushing in '13 and had three other 1000 yard rushing seasons ('14, '16, '17).  C J Spiller had over 1200 yards in '12.

I am thinking this claim about Glenn's run blocking is some of that PFF piffle.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:31 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Had to look up inculcate

I'm thinking "rote learning"  may have been a better choice of words because that's what it means when you get right down to it. 
I was never a big fan of rote learning. It's basically things like memorizing multiplication tables and the like. There's very little independent thought involved.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:10 AM)grampahol Wrote: I was never a big fan of rote learning. It's basically things like memorizing multiplication tables and the like. 

Instead of memorizing you should of rote it down.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s hard for players coached in bad technique to relearn and internalize good technique.  

But a full off season and training camp should be enough to show major improvement.  Players talk all the time about making adjustments to their game over the offseason.  It is not like they are learning to play a new position.

I didn't expect Zac to be able to fix everything this year, but there should at least be marked improvement.

There is nothing any coach could do about losing 3 key players from the O-line (Boling, Williams, Glenn).  I just don't think they have enough talent to fix the O-line, but our defense has enough talent to be decent.  Coaches should eb able to fix many of the problems on that side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
Just my opinion, I feel like some players will continue to make mistakes regardless of who coaches them. I just can’t judge these coaches based on these players, atleast on the offensive line. And not having Williams and Glenn doesn’t help.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The 49ers came up with a gameplan that the Bengals couldn't adapt to. Bottom line is we were outcoached and couldn't adapt.

You saw an inexperience coaching staff get worked over.

I'd say the Seattle game was a coaching loss too. Better playcalling here and there and we win that.

Or hitting a FG...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown finally did the right thing and hired a new coaching staff and as much as it pains me to write this, we need to give the new coaches a chance to do their job and inculcate the proper fundamentals.  This process doesn’t happen overnight.  It’s hard for players coached in bad technique to relearn and internalize good technique.  

The Cincinnati Bengals did not slide from competitive to non-competitive overnight either.  The fall took place over several seasons and I suspect a restoration to consistently making the playoffs might be a year away.

However, making the playoffs is not good enough.  We all believe that.  Personally, I believe Cincinnati has a better long term competitive prognosis with Zac Taylor as head coach than I did with Marvin Lewis at the helm.

I am glad you are happy with a 0-2 start and 0-1 at home with a lot of the missing injured pieces and a new draft class in place.

I hope Zac succeeds, as of right now, the jury is out.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote