Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is encouraging...
(02-10-2023, 12:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Does Mikey still love him some comp picks?

Mikey is not the only consideration, Burrow is a major one to consider.

Also, you guys need to look back at all of our cuts previously, any that weren't injury or disgruntled players we had the backup ready to go for any cut.

We do not have a a replacement for Mixon even with Perine and we have no one to take Boyd's spot.

Im only stating our historical procedures.  

If cutting Mixon gets us a very solid OT I'm all for it.  I thought we had a much better chance at trading Boyd before last season with 2 years left on his contract so, there's that.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 12:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: One thing I have yet to hear is keeping Boyd, I hear a lot about JB, Chase and Higgins.

I think it is Boyd who will be traded/cut in 2023 off season.

Because he's making a very reasonable amount and just quietly does his job and does it well. He makes a little less than Tim Patrick and Nelson Agholor and a little more than Russell Gage, DJ Chark, and Marquez Valdez-Scantling.

I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if Boyd gets a relatively cheap 2-3 year extension if they decide to trade Higgins. There's no point in trading Boyd, because you're not going to get much for him, he's not a #1 WR, so nobody is giving up much for him. There's absolutely no point in cutting Boyd because you either cut a player because they're not good/productive (he's good and productive) or you cut them for the money, but it's a contract year, so you're only saving money in 2023, which they have plenty of. 

Trading or cutting Boyd just doesn't make sense to me.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't.

I remember a ton of guys living here even after the season, some living here even after retirement, and generally everyone giving at least the tactful "I like it in Cincinnati/I want to play here/we're behind our coach/so-and-so is our quarterback" that you expect everyone to give when they're getting their paycheck here and they don't want to be perceived as malcontents. Can't think of a ton of times someone in the NFL just openly shit-talks the city and team they're currently on to the media, regardless of which city and team we're talking about.

That's why we still talk about Carl Pickens if that topic comes up, despite it being over 30 years ago. That's why Carlos Dunlap was such a big topic of conversation in the media, and even he wasn't publicly upset until they treated him like trash and put him on 3rd string below Kahlid Kareem and Amani Bledsoe on the depth chart.

Corey Dillon, Carson Palmer....
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 07:08 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I see some parallels here with Tee and Housh.  TJ has owned that he made a mistake chasing money and the opportunity to be a "Number One" receiver in Seattle. I would imagine that Tee is well aware of this.

Another more recent example is Uzomah, who knew he would never be the Bengals' top tight end with Drew Sample in the house.  lol

Of course Tee is going to make his own decision based on what it's important to him and what he feels is best for him and his family.  None of us should have a problem with that.  

Time will tell.  But I find it encouraging that at this point he said what he did.

Yes, made me feel better about the situation Speedy, thanks. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Priorities
Burrow
Chase
O line
Game wrecker pass rusher
Bell

Much lower
Signing tee, hurst , Boyd Bates, or any running backs to second contracts

They really tried to fix o line last year but burrow would carve up anyone with the chiefs or eagles o lines.

Sub par o line play cost us one Super Bowl and possibly a second.

There is only so much money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 02:50 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Priorities
Burrow
Chase
O line
Game wrecker pass rusher
Bell

Much lower

They really tried to fix o line last year but burrow would carve up anyone with the chiefs or eagles o lines.

Agree with everything you say, 67.

We have to keep hitting on the draft and in free agency.  Some very hard choices have to be made.  I think you have the priorities in correct order.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 02:50 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Priorities
Burrow
Chase
O line
Game wrecker pass rusher
Bell

Much lower

Chase is not a priority in 2023, they can't extend him. Burrow and Higgins are a priority. Knowing Chase will be priority in 2024, Boyd's 9 million net in cap in 2023 may be needed to sign our QB of the defense Bates, Bell may be cheaper, but easier to replace than Bates.

Tough decisions await the FO, is Boyd worth 12 million as a 3rd receiver. I say no, grab a TE that can be game changing with 1st round pick. Then the TE because the 3rd down target.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 04:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Chase is not a priority in 2023, they can't extend him. Burrow and Higgins are a priority. Knowing Chase will be priority in 2024, Boyd's 9 million net in cap in 2023 may be needed to sign our QB of the defense Bates, Bell may be cheaper, but easier to replace than Bates.

Tough decisions await the FO, is Boyd worth 12 million as a 3rd receiver. I say no, grab a TE that can be game changing with 1st round pick. Then the TE because the 3rd down target.

I’m leaning towards the third receiver being a tight end and a one year rental as the third wide receiver every year. To play with Burrow should be enticing. Would love to get Mayer from ND. But I’m leaning towards resigning Hurst ( second year with Burrow I think will help) and getting Broderick Jones UGA OT would be my direction.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 04:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m leaning towards the third receiver being a tight end and a one year rental as the third wide receiver every year. To play with Burrow should be enticing. Would love to get Mayer from ND. But I’m leaning towards resigning Hurst ( second year with Burrow I think will help) and getting Broderick Jones UGA OT would be my direction.

I agree, but if we get Mayer, we may not need Hurst (cap issues). I like Jones from Georgia, it would be a huge help to have him line up next to our right or left tackle, like another OL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 08:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, but if we get Mayer, we may not need Hurst (cap issues). I like Jones from Georgia, it would be a huge help to have him line up next to our right or left tackle, like another OL.

Drafting Jones should ramp up Williams, Carman, and Collins.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote