Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is how the Bengals win a Super Bowl...
Fire Marvin at the end of the year or before the year is over. I don't care.

Fire Ken Zampese at the end of the year or before the year is over. I dont care.

Fire Paul Alexander at the end of the year or before the year is over. I dont care.

Find competent coaches to replace them.

Trade Andy Dalton for a package of draft picks and competent offensive lineman at the end of the year or before the year is over. I dont care.

Trade for Andrew Luck in the off season. There are rumors that he wants out. Offer the Colts 2 or 3 first round picks for him. I dont care. Just get him.

Completely rebuild the offensive line in the off season much like the Vikings did this year. Rebuild it through the draft, free agency, Dalton's trade pickups, whatever it takes. Hell, spend the first 5 picks of the draft next year drafting prospects.

If this all happens then the Bengals will be a Super Bowl winning team. The path is there. Good ownership and a good front office could get it done.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
There have been worse plans for sure !

First 3 points would help tremendously no matter what came after that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 12:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Fire Marvin at the end of the year or before the year is over. I don't care.

Fire Ken Zampese at the end of the year or before the year is over. I dont care.

Fire Paul Alexander at the end of the year or before the year is over. I dont care.

Trade Andy Dalton for a package of draft picks and competent offensive lineman at the end of the year or before the year is over. I dont care.

Trade for Andrew Luck in the off season. There are rumors that he wants out. Offer the Colts 2 or 3 first round picks for him. I dont care. Just get him.

Completely rebuild the offensive line in the off season much like the Vikings did this year. Rebuild it through the draft, free agency, Dalton's trade pickups, whatever it takes. Hell, spend the first 5 picks of the draft next year drafting prospects.

If this all happens then the Bengals will be a Super Bowl winning team. The path is there. Good ownership and a good front office could get it done.

2 problems.

1) Finding competent coaches is hard for GOOD teams with GOOD GMs to do.
2) Andrew Luck? You want to get rid of a QB in Dalton with a career 88.3 QB rating and get one with a career QB rating of 87.3 (that's not counting this year's games)? Why? AND spend multiple first round picks? What the hell are you smoking?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 12:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 2 problems.

1) Finding competent coaches is hard for GOOD teams with GOOD GMs to do.
2) Andrew Luck? You want to get rid of a QB in Dalton with a career 88.3 QB rating and get one with a career QB rating of 87.3 (that's not counting this year's games)? Why? AND spend multiple first round picks? What the hell are you smoking?

Are we seriously going to debate if Andrew Luck is better than Andy Dalton....seriously? 

He took a turd to the AFC Championship game a few years ago. 
Reply/Quote
Take over the FAA and orchestrate the other 31 team planes to simultaneously collide in one giant fireball. The season this year would be cancelled, but eventually they'd have to start back up, and the Bengals would have the only team anywhere close to NFL talent level. Win about 2-3 SBs in a row until all the other teams catch back up in the personnel department.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, seriously? Andrew Luck? The guy has a losing record outside of the AFC South, and is constantly injured these days. His career is also statistically inferior to Andy Dalton's thus far, and that's not even accounting for his current shoulder injury that's keeping him out until at least October.

He also has cap hits of $24.4m in '18, $27.525m in '19, $28.4m in '20, and $21m in '21. Trading for him, let alone for 2-3 first round picks would be a silly idea.

Side Note: He had a 36.4% completion, 126 yards (3.8 AVG), 0 TD/2 INT, 23.0 QB Rating game in the postseason against the Patriots. The only playoff game where he's looked really good was against the Bengals, where even TJ Yates and Mark Sanchez look good. He has a 9 TD/12 INT in his postseason career. The Bengals game is the only postseason game where he hasn't thrown an INT (1 TD/0 INT). He has multiple INT in 4 of his 6 postseason games, or 4 of his 5 non-Bengal games.

- - - - - - - - - - -

You also forgot the biggest problem with every single one of those moves on your list. Mike Brown.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 12:21 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Are we seriously going to debate if Andrew Luck is better than Andy Dalton....seriously? 

He took a turd to the AFC Championship game a few years ago. 

Yes, we're going to debate it.

First, I'm not saying Dalton is definitively better than Luck, but it's debatable. That's enough that we shouldn't be spending first round picks on Luck.

Secondly, that playoff run? Aside from the game against us, Luck's stats were a combined 39 comp 76 att 47.3% comp% 391 yards 2 TD 4 INT 53.1 QB rating. That's kind of Dalton-esque, wouldn't you say? 

Lastly, Dalton is not the problem. We can win with Dalton. The problem is Marvin Lewis.

With that said, I'm not against getting a demonstrably better QB, but Luck is not that QB. Luck may end up being better and you could argue that he's a LITTLE bit better than him right now, but so far, he has not shown remotely enough to spend 1, let alone 2 first round picks on him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 12:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Fire Marvin at the end of the year or before the year is over. I don't care.

Doing the first one first one takes care of the next 3. No new head coach is going to come to the Bengals without the ability to build / bring in his own coaching staff, especially the coordinators.
Reply/Quote
In a nutshell, Just do something. I don't care!

Reply/Quote

Good plan. Particularly first three points. Any o line coach who would keep Bodine for 3 years and let Whit walk to be replaced by OG is not a good coach.
Reply/Quote

This plan would take a few years to achieve the goal, but it might work.
What I think will give Mike Brown pause is that Andrew Luck's current contract averages $24 mill a year. Dalton's only averages $16 mill. The Bengals could use that savings to get another key piece or use toward extension of key player(s). Or at least that's what they'd tell everyone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Doing the first 3 would get me giving a crap again.
Reply/Quote
Fire the coaches yes and I mean all the coaches, total house cleaning......

Get rid of Andy no, he is more than adequate when protection is there........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Reply from Mike Brown:

Hmm, that looks like a lot of work. How about I just do nothing instead?
Reply/Quote
Sell the team to Mark Cuban.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Luck is too injury prone and I have a feeling he will never be as good a QB like he was during his first couple of seasons .
We all know it's Marvin's time to go, he has over stayed his tenure by at least 4-5 years which is why we all may die of shock if he is actually let go .
Reply/Quote
If you enjoy watching your QB stand on the sideline in a hat, T-shirt and shorts while wearing an ear-peace, then yeah, Andrew Luck would make sense I guess.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 04:40 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: Luck is too injury prone and I have a feeling he will never be as good a QB like he was during his first couple of seasons .
We all know it's Marvin's time to go, he has over stayed his tenure by at least 4-5 years which is why we all may die of shock if he is actually let go .

(09-13-2017, 04:59 PM)JumboTron Wrote: If you enjoy watching your QB stand on the sideline in a hat, T-shirt and shorts while wearing an ear-peace, then yeah, Andrew Luck would make sense I guess.

Luck has been the victim of being on a REALLY bad team the past 3 years of his career. He has had one of the worst offensive lines in the league and has no weapons to work with. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 05:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Luck has been the victim of being on a REALLY bad team the past 3 years of his career. He has had one of the worst offensive lines in the league and has no weapons to work with. 

I understand all that, and yes Luck is very talented, but you cannot overlook the injury/health concerns.  It is severe.  The way the Colts have handled Luck both on and off the field so far in his career, I feel, has damaged the poor guy to the point where him reaching his full potential will be impossible.
Reply/Quote

I agree with all of this except the part about trading Dalton and getting Luck.  It just isn't realistic financially (cap and wanting to extend others) and the Colts would never let him go.  Dalton picks teams apart when he is remotely protected.  That is where the draft and FA needs to start.  I would even consider letting Eifert go to spend on a FA LT.  

Center and LT are the biggest weaknesses and should be addressed first.  I would bench Bodine and give TJ Johnson an opportunity before drafting and/or signing a FA.  He looked good in very limited action last year, and I can't help but think that Redmond or Westerman would be solid at RG.  Boling is solid at LG.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 05:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Luck has been the victim of being on a REALLY bad team the past 3 years of his career. He has had one of the worst offensive lines in the league and has no weapons to work with. 

But Dalton doesn't get the same consideration from you? He is stuck behind a bad O line and has comparable stats to Luck...yet you want to give up 2 first round picks....and then rebuild the O line? With what picks do you plan to get this great new O line? 

Great plan.  Whatever
Reply/Quote