Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is how you "scheme" guys open...
We complain about the play calling, but IMO I think the play design is the real issue with this offense at times. It's not creative, doesn't use a ton of pre snap motion, doesn't "scheme" guys open, and it honestly let's other teams take away our weapons.

I think we get confused with play "design" vs. play "calling". Play calling is running on 2nd and long (which we do have issues with). Play design is the ability to get guys open - which I think is a huge issue with us.

Check out the video below on how the Dolphins are getting their guys open to make life as easy as possible on Tua. Man would I love it if we took some pages out of their book.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Nice thread and vid Weezy. Yeah, that is some very good play design by the Dolphins and their coaches on those
plays. Especially the play against the Bills where they use the TE to pull down the Safety and use the play action
to trap him and throw over the top. Would love to see some of that with Burrow here and our weapons.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 04:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We complain about the play calling, but IMO I think the play design is the real issue with this offense at times. It's not creative, doesn't use a ton of pre snap motion, doesn't "scheme" guys open, and it honestly let's other teams take away our weapons.

I think we get confused with play "design" vs. play "calling". Play calling is running on 2nd and long (which we do have issues with). Play design is the ability to get guys open - which I think is a huge issue with us.

Check out the video below on how the Dolphins are getting their guys open to make life as easy as possible on Tua. Man would I love it if we took some pages out of their book.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Misdirection is the single hardest thing for a D to account for on the fly.

And of course we barely do it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 06:32 PM)Housh Wrote: Misdirection is the single hardest thing for a D to account for on the fly.

And of course we barely do it

I think part of the problem with this example is Tua was willing to turn his back to the defense and sell the fake. Something Burrow has been outspokenly resistant to doing. Also a big part of why we don't do under center. What misdirection we can use it partially stymed because of Burrow.

When your head coach is part of the play calling/play design I think they can be pretty synonymous. Also many people have called out the poor design/lack of scheming people open for the past 2 years, especially this year. 
Reply/Quote
We can all agree. Zac doesn’t need to go, but anyone that has anything to do with the offense does
Reply/Quote
I would have a coach do nothing but watch other teams and steal their good plays.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think we have anywhere near enough shifts and motion.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 08:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think we have anywhere near enough shifts and motion.

I said this in like one of the first game threads of the season and Iv just stopped beating a dead horse.

We motion Boyd and Morgan a decent amount but every time we motion Morgan it’s usually a run. We pass every time Boyd motions.

There’s no creativity
-Housh
Reply/Quote
A youtuber I watch posted a video yesterday with similar concepts described
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9i1lq7cZg&ab_channel=ThinkingFootball

God, I wish we designed plays like Miami does.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 08:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think we have anywhere near enough shifts and motion.

Our shifts and motions are something like bringing chase in the backfield and have him run it. Not much deception there. Definitely need more creativity to keep the defense off balance and create space.

Before chase we had trouble with our receivers getting separation and better play design would help big time.

They should be studying the best offenses in the game and picking up their best plays. But a good oc designs good plays too.
Reply/Quote
I agree that the issue is scheme and play design. Notably missing slants and screens.
Reply/Quote

I asked Joe Gooseberry if we ever do stuff like this on Twitter and he responded..."No, not to near this level". 

I would love to go a new direction on offense this year. Replacing Callahan and keeping ZT away from the offense entirely. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 01:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A youtuber I watch posted a video yesterday with similar concepts described

Yep. I was talking to my friend that played football at ND. He said in this day and age, that these guys being hired are just straight up geniuses (seriani and Miami's coach) and you don't even need to know football at a high level to be successful. It's basically chess. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 01:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A youtuber I watch posted a video yesterday with similar concepts described

I stopped after 5min so there could have been other things that got showed. In the first 5min almost all the examples were Tua under center or plays against single high. Some RPO (which we've done). 

As said earlier which everyone has ignored, BURROW has said he doesn't like being under center because he has to turn his back to the defense and can't process as quick. 

The coaches 100% have to be better at scheming plays but Burrow makes it a lot harder for them as well. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 04:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We complain about the play calling, but IMO I think the play design is the real issue with this offense at times. It's not creative, doesn't use a ton of pre snap motion, doesn't "scheme" guys open, and it honestly let's other teams take away our weapons.

Schemes, stragety and coaching makes a difference when you finally have two teams equally talented and trained. Most players have been playing since highschool other even younger. They are ready to play and know the game too well.

OC and Coach need more scrutiny.   
Reply/Quote