Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This is interesting
What??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-expected-to-re-sign-jessie-bates-iii/ar-AA17g7Vq?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=03c5e9f3374243a1a831adc4050611a2

Quote:ESPN's Jeremy Fowler expects the Cincinnati Bengals to re-sign safety Jessie Bates III this offseason. Cincinnati will also have to consider extensions for quarterback Joe Burrow and wide receiver Tee Higgins this offseason, but Bates has made far too many plays for the Bengals secondary to let him go, including five interceptions in the last three seasons. In order to retain him, Cincy will have to spend near the top of the market for safeties. The 25-year-old finished the 2022 campaign with a career-low 71 tackles but also had a career-high four interceptions in 16 regular season games while playing under the franchise tag. The Bengals will have an estimated $44 million in salary cap space entering the 2023 season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If this happens, I hope it doesn't mean Dax Hill is relegated to a depth role again.
Hard to justify having 1st round picks riding the pine in their 2nd year, especially when you're a true contender and about to have huge contracts coming for your QB1 and WR1 over the next couple years.
Gotta get as much immediate value out of your draft picks as you can.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jeremy Fowler expects explosive diarrhea
Reply/Quote
It’s insane Fowler woke up and just decided to make some shit up. No one can truly believe we are signing Bates back.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 03:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this happens, I hope it doesn't mean Dax Hill is relegated to a depth role again.
Hard to justify having 1st round picks riding the pine in their 2nd year, especially when you're a true contender and about to have huge contracts coming for your QB1 and WR1 over the next couple years.

I agree in principle but if they realize now that Dax isn't the guy (at least not to replace Bates) you don't wanna square-peg-round-hole him. This defense in some ways runs from the back in. As a DB coach, Lou sees the field from the back in, that's for sure, and the CF is his on-field conductor. If Dax ain't ready for that role- regardless of where he is on his rookie deal- he ain't ready. This team ain't got time to ride out his learning curve with him.  

Of course, I think Fowler has no clue. Not his fault. Can't expect media to know the ins and outs of every team. All he knows is that the Bengals tagged Bates and had talks last year. Outsiders would naturally assume that negs are still open.  
Reply/Quote
Fake news
Reply/Quote
MSN... CNN... M&M....

Sounds more opinion than fact.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I don’t see how they do it. You gotta let your first round guy go get it done. Hell they could sign Tee for a few million more a year. Just get Dax off of special teams. He’s a rare kind of stupid there
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 03:28 PM)tms Wrote: I agree in principle but if they realize now that Dax isn't the guy (at least not to replace Bates) you don't wanna square-peg-round-hole him. This defense in some ways runs from the back in. As a DB coach, Lou sees the field from the back in, that's for sure, and the CF is his on-field conductor. If Dax ain't ready for that role- regardless of where he is on his rookie deal- he ain't ready. This team ain't got time to ride out his learning curve with him.  

Of course, I think Fowler has no clue. Not his fault. Can't expect media to know the ins and outs of every team. All he knows is that the Bengals tagged Bates and had talks last year. Outsiders would naturally assume that negs are still open.  

Yea, I guess if he's not the guy then don't waste time with him.
But I thought Dax Hill was a great prospect for a Bates replacement, would be disappointed if he turns out to be a bust.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Not even Jessie Bates is expecting to be back. If they sign Bates then goodbye Higgins. Bengals of old would do that, but New Dey front office is much smarter.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 03:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this happens, I hope it doesn't mean Dax Hill is relegated to a depth role again.

As most have said Fowler likely has nothing, just that Cincy has money today and he thinks they'll keep him.  We know Bates has been public and negotiations haven't moved and Dax is likely his replacement.  In bizarro land where Bates resigns a short term front loaded deal, Bell is still a UFA.  We assume they resign him, but it's the other way around then Dax could play SS even if it isn't ideal.  
Reply/Quote
If that happens they aren't resigning Vonn Bell

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I can't imagine this is apart of the plan. It would admit the huge mistake taking Hill was (and I doubt they are ready to admit that), and can we find a mid tier replacement that stars (like we found Bell) to replace the overrated Bates? My guess is yes.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/10-best-nfl-free-agent-safeties-2023-01gq33bz61ce

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, I guess if he's not the guy then don't waste time with him.
But I thought Dax Hill was a great prospect for a Bates replacement, would be disappointed if he turns out to be a bust.

Hill never played Bates position at safety, he is closer to a Bell replacement than a Bates replacement.

Those who say Dax should play because he was a 1st round pick, I disagree. Players earn a position and Dax had a bad rookie campaign (for a 1st round pick) in 2022 in my opinion.

But if we do sign Bates, I way say Bell will not be signed.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 04:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hill never played Bates position at safety, he is closer to a Bell replacement than a Bates replacement.

Those who say Dax should play because he was a 1st round pick, I disagree. Players earn a position and Dax had a bad rookie campaign (for a 1st round pick) in 2022 in my opinion.

But if we do sign Bates, I way say Bell will not be signed.

I thought Hill played both safety positions along with slot CB in college?
Am I misremembering that?

Regardless, I thought he had the speed, range, and coverage ability to handle single-high safety duties.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jessie Bate's agent putting in some OT with these self generated "rumors".
Reply/Quote
Has Bell not outplayed Bates with a better bet to re-sign him for much less? That's the only question. If Hill isn't the answer, then the answer has to be in the draft. No way Bates gets big money given the other players we need to sign. I personally agree from a GM standpoint that safety's shouldn't get paid CB1 or CB2 money.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Fowler lol

I'll believe it when I see it.....dude always talks out of his ass
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
It's almost like Jeremy Fowler just started covering the NFL this season.

Was he not around the last 2 years?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 05:38 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's almost like Jeremy Fowler just started covering the NFL this season.

Was he not around the last 2 years?

ESPN had some personnel turnover, and they're likely shuffling people around to different positions.

Kind of like the old Bob Bratkowski shuffle pass on 3rd and 12..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote