Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is me eating crow.
(01-11-2018, 09:36 PM)McC Wrote: I like my crow well done over an open fire.  Feel free to join me---

I was wrong as hell about Randy Bullock.  He turned in a good season.  Other than possibly the Titans game, he was never a reason we lost.

I thought John Ross would be a weapon as soon as he hit the field.

I thought losing Peko would be no big deal.

I only somewhat agree with all of these.

Bullock - Yes, he was very solid. He made 90% of his FGs, which was better than Elliott's 83.9% in Philly. However, Elliott hit five 50+ yard FGs out of six with a long of 61 whereas Bullock made his only 50+ yarder that was attempted and it was a 51 yarder. I still think Elliott would have been better from a points contribution standpoint because the Bengals probably would have been able to attempt more 50+ yarders and therefore put up more points overall. But Bullock was solid nonetheless. I would have still kept Elliott though.

Ross - IMO no reason to think he still won't be a weapon as soon as he hits the field. Problem is he didn't really get much of a chance to hit the field at all.

Peko - I still don't disagree with moving on from Peko. Sure, he would have been solid against the run but still a liability when it comes to pass rush. He only had one sack with Denver who has arguably better pass rushers than the Bengals. I think the issue more was that we expected Billings to be better than he was given he had a full year to recover from his 2016 preseason injury. And we thought Sims would have also been serviceable too at least in the run game, which he was not.

I think the only thing I might eat crow on is the criticism I had on Dalton after the first 2-3 games. But with the switch to Lazor he at least stopped turning over the ball by a lot. Dalton still wasn't spectacular from an overall production standpoint though. He still might be in the 11-15 range again if the OL can be improved to the point he trusts his blocking again.

I didn't think Vigil, Rey, and Minter would have been as bad as they were either, but I never claimed they'd be great so I don't consider that as a "need to eat crow".
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:36 PM)McC Wrote: I like my crow well done over an open fire.  Feel free to join me---

I was wrong as hell about Randy Bullock.  He turned in a good season.  Other than possibly the Titans game, he was never a reason we lost.

I also thought Ross would be amazing as a rookie and that Billings/Glasgow/Tupou would be an upgrade over Peko.

Thought Minter and Vigil would of also been much better this year then they were.

Core i will also eat crow for cause i thought he would of done atleast something with Ross hurt.
Reply/Quote
It really is a testament to having a legit pre-season competition and going with the guy who is better. And I assume Elliot will continue to improve but this year Bullock was indeed better:

Bullock

FGM 18 --- FGA 20 -------- Percentage 90
XPM 31 --- XPA 33 -------- Percentage 94

Elliott

FGM 26 --- FGA 34 -------- Percentage 84
XPM 39 --- XPA 42 -------- Percentage 93

So yeah, more pre-seasons competitions where we truly honor the results regardless of where a guy was drafted would probably be a good thing.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Peko - I still don't disagree with moving on from Peko. Sure, he would have been solid against the run but still a liability when it comes to pass rush. He only had one sack with Denver who has arguably better pass rushers than the Bengals. I think the issue more was that we expected Billings to be better than he was given he had a full year to recover from his 2016 preseason injury. And we thought Sims would have also been serviceable too at least in the run game, which he was not.

At some point they had to move on from Peko.

Not sure as to why they're having such a problem in doing so.

Swing and a miss for DTs for several drafts.

Let's just hope one of these guys pans out.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Yeah. I'd still rather have Elliott. 

And the whole "eating crow" epidemic is sooooooooooooooooooo stupid. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Regardless as to if Bullock will turn out to be the better long term choice, he did have a very solid year. I hated the Ross pick both then and now. I don’t see him sticking in the NFL. It was time for Peko to move on, I still can’t get the vision of him running onto the field with that goofy jacket on out of my head.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 09:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It was time for Peko to move on, I still can’t get the vision of him running onto the field with that goofy jacket on out of my head.

He looked like a morbidly obese vampire.  Epic.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote

Bullock was good but lacks leg strength to be a weapon over 50 yards which in today's NFL isn't great. Our expectations for kickers is pretty low when the kicker not losing games means a good year. But he was better than expected. 

Hated the Ross pick but didn't think he would rarely see the field. 

Peko was done. Team (and fans) had too high of expectations for Billings. They could have tried to upgrade on Peko. - it's called signing someone from another team. Marvin 2.0 plans on doing this. We will see. 

I thought Boyd would be better. 

I didn't think Dennard would be better than Dre. I was okay with Dre signing as I thought DD was a bust. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 10:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im not sold on Bullock. He wasnt challenged this year.

He was 4-5 from 40-49 range and split the uprights on his only 50+ yarder...which looked like it would've been good from 60.

I think he answered questions on his leg, if people want to hear it.

(01-12-2018, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I only somewhat agree with all of these.

Bullock - Yes, he was very solid. He made 90% of his FGs, which was better than Elliott's 83.9% in Philly. However, Elliott hit five 50+ yard FGs out of six with a long of 61 whereas Bullock made his only 50+ yarder that was attempted and it was a 51 yarder. I still think Elliott would have been better from a points contribution standpoint because the Bengals probably would have been able to attempt more 50+ yarders and therefore put up more points overall. But Bullock was solid nonetheless. I would have still kept Elliott though.

Ross - IMO no reason to think he still won't be a weapon as soon as he hits the field. Problem is he didn't really get much of a chance to hit the field at all.

Peko - I still don't disagree with moving on from Peko. Sure, he would have been solid against the run but still a liability when it comes to pass rush. He only had one sack with Denver who has arguably better pass rushers than the Bengals. I think the issue more was that we expected Billings to be better than he was given he had a full year to recover from his 2016 preseason injury. And we thought Sims would have also been serviceable too at least in the run game, which he was not.

I think the only thing I might eat crow on is the criticism I had on Dalton after the first 2-3 games. But with the switch to Lazor he at least stopped turning over the ball by a lot. Dalton still wasn't spectacular from an overall production standpoint though. He still might be in the 11-15 range again if the OL can be improved to the point he trusts his blocking again.

I didn't think Vigil, Rey, and Minter would have been as bad as they were either, but I never claimed they'd be great so I don't consider that as a "need to eat crow".

I disagree. Marv has never been the type to go for FG's often from 50+. He'd rather play for field position than a risky FG. I believe Bullock has a great leg, and he showed it off on the 51 yarder that was perfectly down the middle with room to spare. And lets be honest, with the way the offense played this year, Elliott wouldn't have kicked 6 FG's from 50+ even if Marvin was feeling ballsy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I've seen countless coaches come and go since Marvin has been here. I've seen "new blood" infused:

Leslie Frazier
Darrin Simmons
Ricky Hunley
Ken Zampese
The Hayes Bros.
Chuck Bresnahan
Hue Jackson
Paul Guenther
Mike Sheppard
Mike Zimmer
Jeff Fitzgerald
Kyle Caskey
Jay Gruden
James Urban
Mark Carrier
Brayden Coombs
Adam Zimmer
Brian Braswell
Marcus Lewis
Matt Burke
Vance Joseph
Jacob Burney
Robert Couch
Jim Haslett
Bill Lazor
Robert Livingston
Dan Pitcher

The results have ALWAYS stayed EXACTLY the same.

The constants: Marvin Lewis, Mike Brown, Paul Alexander

If you're pinning all of your hopes on PA being replaced, have at it.

I'm not getting my hopes while the same people still run everything.
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote