Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
This is nothing compared to 2011
(03-15-2017, 01:10 PM)JumboTron Wrote: My God we are such a pathetic fan base.  

"Hey, remember 2011...Now that REALLY sucked."

I mean, it's just sad.

Except 2011 was an awesome year for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 12:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This offseason has been a great success so far compared to where we were at the same time in 2011.

-coming off a 4 win season

-lost our franchise QB (Palmer)

-lost our elite CB (Joseph)

-lost our top 2 WRs (TO, Ocho)

-lost the heart of the locker room (Reggie Kelly)

-lost the brains of the defense (Dhani Jones)

-we were depending on a former first round pick to start at OT even though he had looked like crap his first two years in the league (Andre Smith)

Things were much then than they are now.

But then slowly the plan fell into place.  The Bengals drafted Andy and AJ.  They rebuilt their defense with smart bargain signings of Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, and Nate Clements.  They even showed they could think outside the box by finding an OC in the arena league (Gruden) and a WR in the CFL (Hawkins).

The front office may a nice string of real smart moves and a team that many predicted would be the absolute worst in the league made the playoffs.  In fact the last two times the Bengals have had a losing season they have bounced back to make the playoffs.

And the person who kept the team together when things were at their worst was Andrew Whitworth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I mean, it's just sad.

Thinking you missed the point of the OP
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thinking you missed the point of the OP

I botched that one big time.  

My bad on the ignorant post, I'm just a tad testy these days when it comes to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 12:54 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: You give me Mike Williams in this draft and I will be satisfied.  He is bad news... and with AJ Andy will have 2 play makers that he can throw the ball up if he is being rushed and will have a great shot of one of the boyz going up and getting it for him..

God you wide receiver disciples really just go thread to thread trying to waste a top 10 pick on a guy that at most becomes a #2 receiver.  WE have bigger needs than a WR and this WR class is WAY better and deeper than last year.  You can easily get a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who would have been a first round receiver last year.  This draft has like 4 or 5 legit Linebackers in a 4-3 and 4-3 DE's have a steep fall off as well.  

What am I even talking about what does this have to do with this thread at all!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I guess the most positive thing I can say is that we did not get worse anywhere other than o-line. Andre Smith could help replace Z at guard - if he stays healthy. I freaking loathe the thought of Ogbuehi at LT and I'm not sold on Fisher at RT. Bodine returns for his 4th season of allowing pressure up the middle.

We do have the draft, and our position is the best since 2011. We should be able to find an impact player at #9 and our 2nd round pick is closer to another 1st rounder than a 3rd rounder. So we can do a lot of damage there if we're smart. Overall, I haven't given up hope that this team can rebound, but they would need a lot of things to fall the right way.

1. Bodine, Ogbuehi, Fisher, Boling and Andre 3000 lbs have to somehow form a cohesive and respectable o-line.
2. We have to get some instant impact players in the draft. Preferably a RB and a pass rusher.
3. The rest of the team has to continue to play at the level they have. No fall off in other areas.

That's pretty much it. I'm confident in the rest of the team. I don't ***** just to *****. My concerns are legitimate ones. I will say this, even if everything falls into place and the Bengals resume their recent (regular season) winning ways...I'm still not confident Marv can win a playoff game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
So all we gotta do is get lucky and draft 2 more players on Green and Dalton's level

That's gonna be easy

I predict 12-4
Reply/Quote
I don't know. I think you can still make the argument that if they don't fix things a little more, it will be worse.

Games are won and lost up front, losing your top 2 lineman and being left with:

The worst tackle in the league (Ced - hopefully he is better on the left side)
One of the worst (if not the worst centers in the league - Bodine
A RT that has made 2 starts

That's not a recipe for success. It worries me a lot. I think having Andre at RG will really help, but the 2 positions that really matter (LT, C) we don't have a good (or any) backup plan right now.
Reply/Quote
We'll see how it goes. For the most part i am taking the wait and see approach.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In that case this thread is dedicated to all the screaming drama queens who claim that losing a pinky finger means means that they will never be able to do anything productive for the rest of their lives.

I am not a drama queen and I have been a loyal Bengal fan for 50 years and what we have seen is more like getting both arms chopped off not losing a pinky.

No other organization in any endeavor would keep a  CEO like Marv with his metrics however you want to measure them

It is completely inexplicable.

It is inexplicable why they would draft a guard in first round knowing they would not extend if he became a good player because they do not value guards - a stupid and inexplicable position on its own.

It is inexplicable that they did not franchise Whit.

It was inexplicable all season that Hill was playing ahead of Rex and it is inexplicable that they still have Hill and let Rex go to Pats.

( do you think that the Pats for even a second would think about signing Hill????)

I and the rest of the folks on this board could continue with a long list of inexplicable decisions by the Bengals since Marv came and during the lost decade and the cumulative effect is 7 consecutive playoff losses, a lopsided losing record to Steelers for 15 years, and not a snowball's chance of winning the Super Bowl next year.

This organization is not committed to excellence and does not hold coaches of players accountable for poor performance.

Why would anyone with class like Dalton, AJ, Geno, Carlos or Eifert voluntarily re-up with this rudderless floundering  ship.

I am a professional and if my organization made decisions similar to the Bengals as applied to our profession I would get out as quickly as possible.

How can any of what remains of our better players be inspired about next season or have any desire to stay here after their next contract expires.
Reply/Quote
Am willing to bet whatever that Bengals miss the playoffs this year unlike in 2011.

And will happily pay up if I am wrong !

Any positive outlook fans want any of this ?

Do not be a drama queen and try to lower the expectations please or will have to think you do not believe what you are saying.

Still think there is a chance we do personally, yet am willing to bet you do not believe it 100 % enough to bet. We have made them what 5 out of the last 6 years and division is not great. So odds are in your favor.

Monetary, sig, leave site, tickets, or whatever you wish and absolutely 100% I will be pulling for you to win.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Probably is a little easier not paying several thousands for tickets, gas, parking, concession, and investing 12 hours of your only off day driving to and from the games in the extreme heat, rain, sleet, and snow.

Another year like this and I will again become a positive fan only watching on TV and changing channel if it gets ugly and awaiting next year.

So once again, I will happily pay up if they treat me to a good season this year. And they may.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Leaving for work but will revisit late tonight to negotiate guideline with the takers.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Am willing to bet whatever that Bengals miss the playoffs this year unlike in 2011.

Do not be a drama queen and try to lower the expectations please or will have to think you do not believe what you are saying.

Still think there is a chance we do personally, yet am willing to bet you do not believe it 100 % enough to bet. We have made them what 5 out of the last 6 years and division is not great. So odds are in your favor.

Monetary, sig, leave site, tickets, or whatever you wish and absolutely 100% I will be pulling for you to win.

No playoffs for sure.  I'm thinking maybe #1 overall draft pick in 2018.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:35 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I botched that one big time.  

My bad on the ignorant post, I'm just a tad testy these days when it comes to the Bengals.

A comment truly deserving of Rep. All please join me in doing so. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fred forgot to add we also lost our best interior Olineman coming into 2011, but he won't agree to that.

WTS, I'm excited to see what we have. I prefer not to come into it with a negative outlook.

Same here. I want to see the young guys play. The roster needs to turn over from time to time. Just wish the same was tru with the HC.
Reply/Quote

I mean, it's just sad.

This is what happens to fans when the team hasn't won in post season for over a quarter of a century. It is called grasping at straws by comparing the franchise to its darkest days. Somehow that supposedly makes us feel less disgusted.
The ownership is still the same.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 12:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This offseason has been a great success so far compared to where we were at the same time in 2011.

-coming off a 4 win season

-lost our franchise QB (Palmer)

-lost our elite CB (Joseph)

-lost our top 2 WRs (TO, Ocho)

-lost the heart of the locker room (Reggie Kelly)

-lost the brains of the defense (Dhani Jones)

-we were depending on a former first round pick to start at OT even though he had looked like crap his first two years in the league (Andre Smith)

Things were much then than they are now.

But then slowly the plan fell into place.  The Bengals drafted Andy and AJ.  They rebuilt their defense with smart bargain signings of Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, and Nate Clements.  They even showed they could think outside the box by finding an OC in the arena league (Gruden) and a WR in the CFL (Hawkins).

The front office may a nice string of real smart moves and a team that many predicted would be the absolute worst in the league made the playoffs.  In fact the last two times the Bengals have had a losing season they have bounced back to make the playoffs.

Its official. You are DennyG reincarnated. Seriously man. Do you listen to yourself? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
This kind of reminds me of when people were comparing last year's poor start to 2012, when we started 3-5 and finished 10-6.

Miracle turnarounds are called miracles for a reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Am willing to bet whatever that Bengals miss the playoffs this year unlike in 2011.

We all know Fred ain't leaving this site. He would be lost without it.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote