Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(08-16-2023, 01:45 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If there is a split decision on a player, then why can't Mike be the tie breaker still? That makes sense to me, if they can't agree then Mike listens to both sides and makes his choice. His fracking team.

To the second part? Why can't it be both? 
Zac wants a certain type of player and they Tobin drafts what he's looking for and goes after FA's as well, Katie does is more on the back end, contract negotiations, maintaining the Salary cap and so on. Katie lets the Coach/GM do their thing and she does hers and the end result is everyone appears much more in sync now than it was during MB's days of running the franchise. And now that we are winning as well, the culture has really shifted to being a place where players want to come to vs getting that last contract before riding off into the sunset.

That is the point. If Tobin needs a TE, he signs a TE. He doesn’t try to convert a DE who has never played the position.

Zac isn’t responsible for a total and complete change in the Bengals’ approach to free agency spending.

Zac isn’t responsible for finally cashing in on stadium naming rights.

Zac is t responsible for the Bengals’ investing their own money in improving the fan experience instead of arguing with Hamilton County.

Zac isn’t responsible for the complete change in embracing social media platforms.

Zac isn’t responsible for the Bengals’ building a dedicated indoor practice facility.

Despite claims to the contrary, they have been more active in draft picks and player trades since 2019 compared to the previous 8 seasons.

Those are all things that happen at a pay grade above Zac Taylor. You know no first year coach without HCing experience is coming in and dictating to Mike Brown how Mike Brown spends Mike Brown’s money. Those are all things that Mike Brown refused to do for decades. Those are all things that have changed since 2019 despite Mike Brown. Not because of Mike Brown. So if someone tells me their inside sources indicate Mike Brown is still the GM of this team they obviously haven’t been paying attention and are full of BS. Because all evidence indicates the contrary.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 01:17 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He took one of the two expansion teams that was given a solid roster to begin with. Carolina made the super bowl during that time as well.
What he did with the Giants can't be factored into the decision that was made at that time.

Need i remind people that he was not the HC of Jax those few years prior to being interviewed by the Bengals for the HC position. HC was Doug Marrone.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/12/18/jaguars-top-executive-tom-coughlin-fired/2053894007/

Jaguars owner Shad Khan fired Tom Coughlin on Wednesday night, two days after the NFL Players Association sent a letter to the league’s players that revealed over 25 percent of the grievances filed by players have been against the Jaguars.

Well no idea if what you remember is right or wrong vs what i remember. so we'll just leave it at that.

But the Bengals were right in having some reservations about giving him control but not the type we would likely think. If you see the first half of the post you'll see that TC was not a very player friendly person. In fact any team would have been a little worried about giving him too much control. I don't think the Giants gave him that type of control either did they?

I agree they were right, just saying I read some articles to refresh my memory, and the common theme was Coughlin balked at not having that control.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 03:40 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That is the point. If Tobin needs a TE, he signs a TE. He doesn’t try to convert a DE who has never played the position.

Zac isn’t responsible for a total and complete change in the Bengals’ approach to free agency spending.

Zac isn’t responsible for finally cashing in on stadium naming rights.

Zac is t responsible for the Bengals’ investing their own money in improving the fan experience instead of arguing with Hamilton County.

Zac isn’t responsible for the complete change in embracing social media platforms.

Zac isn’t responsible for the Bengals’ building a dedicated indoor practice facility.

Despite claims to the contrary, they have been more active in draft picks and player trades since 2019 compared to the previous 8 seasons.

Those are all things that happen at a pay grade above Zac Taylor. You know no first year coach without HCing experience is coming in and dictating to Mike Brown how Mike Brown spends Mike Brown’s money. Those are all things that Mike Brown refused to do for decades. Those are all things that have changed since 2019 despite Mike Brown. Not because of Mike Brown. So if someone tells me their inside sources indicate Mike Brown is still the GM of this team they obviously haven’t been paying attention and are full of BS. Because all evidence indicates the contrary.

Not to mention that RoH we all clamored for.....for decades.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 06:42 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Not to mention that RoH we all clamored for.....for decades.

Yes! Thanks for reminding me. I’m sure there are other examples I haven’t mentioned. Taylor wasn’t dictating to Mike Brown to open up his checkbook for a Ring of Honor, either. I’m not taking anything away from Zac Taylor’s accomplishments. But, the current leadership has empowered Taylor and Tobin to do their jobs their predecessors never enjoyed. While all giving the fans what they’ve wanted for years. That’s where the true culture changed occurred. At the top. Taylor, Tobin, and the fans have reaped the benefits.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 03:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes! Thanks for reminding me. I’m sure there are other examples I haven’t mentioned. Taylor wasn’t dictating to Mike Brown to open up his checkbook for a Ring of Honor, either. I’m not taking anything away from Zac Taylor’s accomplishments. But, the current leadership has empowered Taylor and Tobin to do their jobs their predecessors never enjoyed. While all giving the fans what they’ve wanted for years. That’s where the true culture changed occurred. At the top. Taylor, Tobin, and the fans have reaped the benefits.

Absolutely..... it's Katie and her daughters.

Reply/Quote
Jessie Bates with two picks and a forced fumble.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 12:28 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Jessie Bates with two picks and a forced fumble.

Moot point. The safeties were fine. Unless Bates was going to play QB it wouldn’t have made a difference.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 12:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Moot point. The safeties were fine. Unless Bates was going to play QB it wouldn’t have made a difference.

Could be a huuge difference if the defense has to carry Burrow through the playoffs again.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 12:28 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Jessie Bates with two picks and a forced fumble.

It was a stupid thread when you created it and it is still stupid.  Anyone that thinks the safeties are a problem or that we should have spent 64M on a safety needs to find another sport to discuss.  

Reply/Quote

Good for him, but he's not a Bengal anymore, so don't care.
Reply/Quote