Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the kind of thing that gets me excited this year
Just read this and hoping I'm not repeating something one of you have already presented.

But the kind of involvement of Jim McNally, former Bengal stud offensive linemen with our current O-Line coach represents, in my mind, a significant culture change.

It's not that McNally hasn't been a consultant before, or that linemen (including Willie) haven't made visits.   But now they seem to be invited into the process, allowed to express their opinions and not have them swept under the rug.

And as for McNally, he's a full on part of the coaching staff through training camp: hands on and openly revered by Pollack.  And the players are eating it up.

Combine that with Pollack's intensity and the addition of Glen and Price, and I am starting to feel some real optimism.

Read and enjoy! :andy:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Not-so-old-school-in-session/b21865ea-c6fb-4d6f-bebd-bacf205bb517
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice. That is something to get pumped up about.

Reply/Quote
It is not a coincidence that in 2015 McNally was a consultant and the O-line was decent. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Just another good bit of news. I think this year we're going to make some noise!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is not a coincidence that in 2015 McNally was a consultant and the O-line was decent. Mellow

They also drafted Ogbuehi and Fisher in 2015.

McNally has been a consultant in Cincinnati since 2012.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 03:09 PM)3wt Wrote: Just read this and hoping I'm not repeating something one of you have already presented.

But the kind of involvement of Jim McNally, former Bengal stud offensive linemen with our current O-Line coach represents, in my mind, a significant culture change.

It's not that McNally hasn't been a consultant before, or that linemen (including Willie) haven't made visits.   But now they seem to be invited into the process, allowed to express their opinions and not have them swept under the rug.

And as for McNally, he's a full on part of the coaching staff through training camp: hands on and openly revered by Pollack.  And the players are eating it up.

Combine that with Pollack's intensity and the addition of Glen and Price, and I am starting to feel some real optimism.

Read and enjoy! :andy:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Not-so-old-school-in-session/b21865ea-c6fb-4d6f-bebd-bacf205bb517
My opinion is that former great Bengal linemen were kept away because of PA's massive ego. 

I like everything I've heard about Frank Pollack and from Frank Pollack.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:40 PM)Synric Wrote: They also drafted Ogbuehi and Fisher in 2015.

The difference is (or appears to be) that he seems to be an every day hands on guy working for but with Pollack.  After training camp he goes to sending cut ups to the team with recommendations. 

I really don't know, but I suspect that that has been his only real role - other than a few 1 day cameos.

I think Hobson would have featured a pretty big write up (like this one) if McNally was significantly involved.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:40 PM)Synric Wrote: They also drafted Ogbuehi and Fisher in 2015.

True, but i don't know how much impact he had in those years. Seemed different in 2015 and that was
when i first heard of him being a consultant here to PA and as McC here says, PA has a massive ego, who
knows if he was listened to as much as Pollack listens to him.

Pollack idolizes the guy obviously.

(06-20-2018, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: My opinion is that former great Bengal linemen were kept away because of PA's massive ego. 

ThumbsUp

(06-20-2018, 05:52 PM)3wt Wrote: The difference is (or appears to be) that he seems to be an every day hands on guy working for but with Pollack.  After training camp he goes to sending cut ups to the team with recommendations. 

I really don't know, but I suspect that that has been his only real role - other than a few 1 day cameos.

I think Hobson would have featured a pretty big write up (like this one) if McNally was significantly involved.

Yes sir, all i know is i love the approach these guys are taking. Like Hopkins says, now they get their hands
on the D-lineman, more punching, more like martial arts instead of that passive blocking shit PA had going
on last year. Don't know how an O-lineman can even gain any confidence with that crap.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:52 PM)3wt Wrote: The difference is (or appears to be) that he seems to be an every day hands on guy working for but with Pollack.  After training camp he goes to sending cut ups to the team with recommendations. 

Agree.  I think McC and Nate hit the nail on the head, McNally was likely less involved because of Alexander.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: My opinion is that former great Bengal linemen were kept away because of PA's massive ego. 

This

I'm hoping things are truly changing
Reply/Quote

While I've never heard this from a credible source, every exposure I've had to Alexander was that he was really intelligent, and a very successful coach, but he appeared massively arrogant and self centered.

Here's going to be an interesting thing - if Og and Fish turn out big time.  Then as much as we credit Pollack for pulling the talent out of them, we'll have to credit PA for appropriately assessing their talent and acknowledging that he was right when he said that it was a matter of time.

No matter.   I will be happy to spread the glory around, but I am really excited to have this group of coaches and the environment they have created.  And I can't wait to see how all this translates when the real playing starts.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Just another good bit of news.  I think this year we're going to make some noise!

You mean, like, Jungle Noise? Grrr, roar.  Hilarious

Damn right we are.  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 06:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You mean, like, Jungle Noise? Grrr, roar.  Hilarious

Damn right we are.  ThumbsUp

Lol

We're going to make a loud ROAR in the North this year!  Right on, right on.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
This is great news because I think the with Pollack, who is quite old school, it will help the Offensive Line. Jim must be in his mid 70's by now though.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 10:41 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is great news because I think the with Pollack, who is quite old school, it will help the Offensive Line.  Jim must be in his mid 70's by now though.

I think i read Jim McNally is 74.

He don't look it but it was the main reason some didn't want him as the new O-line coach.

Wasn't cuz of his credentials that is for sure. Dude is the best, besides maybe Frank Pollack.

What a team! Cool
Reply/Quote
I mean it is nice to see i guess but it doesn't get me excited.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 01:55 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I mean it is nice to see i guess but it doesn't get me excited.

C'mon bro - it's off season, you should know typically this is the one time a year where we can be optimistic - (before the disappointment starts).  And I swear I heard you say under your breath "I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.  I'm about to lose control and I think I like it".
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 01:55 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I mean it is nice to see i guess but it doesn't get me excited.

This part of the article should...

Quote:He's definitely playing a bigger role," Hopkins says. "Especially with the techniques we have now. Especially   in pass protection. We're using our hands a lot more. Using a variety of kicks. Showing the defensive line different things as opposed to waiting to react to them. He's got techniques that I have never seen before and I think he was kind of holding off on some of that stuff."
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This simple line stood out to me: "When it comes to repetition breeds comfort level, Frank is cut from the same cloth,” Lapham says. “Up tempo. Get as many reps as you can".

Some folks call it "muscle memory" and there are lots of takes on what it does, but the part that reads "comfort", I would replace with confidence.

In every sport I have coached, and in every sport I have played, the repetition of tough tasks needed to be successful in a game is what gave me confidence walking in that I knew I was ready to excel. You could see a kid field a ground ball at third attack the ball and come up firing because I taught to never play tentative, and we did it over and over again in practice.

I enjoyed the article. Thanks, 3WT
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 08:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This simple line stood out to me:  "When it comes to repetition breeds comfort level, Frank is cut from the same cloth,” Lapham says. “Up tempo. Get as many reps as you can".

Some folks call it "muscle memory" and there are lots of takes on what it does, but the part that reads "comfort", I would replace with confidence.

In every sport I have coached, and in every sport I have played, the repetition of tough tasks needed to be successful in a game is what gave me confidence walking in that I knew I was ready to excel.  You could see a kid field a ground ball at third attack the ball and come up firing because I taught to never play tentative, and we did it over and over again in practice.  

I enjoyed the article.  Thanks, 3WT

Yes sir, with repetition comes perfection and most of all experience is gained quickly.

When i was young i wanted to play in the NBA, so i shot every different shot i could so i was prepared for any situation.

Kind of reminds me of the way Van Pelt is working with Dalton in putting him in tough situations.

Really liking all these new coaches and there seems to be a lot of comraderie going on.

Never heard Lap or McNally talking like this with PA.
Reply/Quote