Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'This is who you are'
IMO, Paul Dehner pretty much sums it up:

'You have a team that hasn’t won a road game since Green caught a last-second pass from Andy Dalton in Atlanta in September 2018. They are going through a streak of futility in one-score games like the NFL has rarely seen in a century of football.

Being “this close” is as much this team’s defining trait as Burrow being their quarterback. At a certain point, progress gives way to the fact this is who you are.

You can’t keep talking about how a group needs to learn to win. It makes you wonder if they are being properly taught how to do so.

There’s always some reason for optimism, yet always the same old stories.

Be consistent. Don’t panic. It will come.

In a vacuum, those words make sense and there are enough positives from Sunday that you can construct a reality where the Bengals are building something sustainable.

But that’s not the reality. Not when those types of losses pile up and play out in the same unrequited fashion over and over again.'
Reply/Quote
I cant say I disagree with this. I'm already sic of the moral victories of all these close games where we shoot ourselves in the foot. "We are close, we have a great locker room" etc. Well, then have a fkn cookout with the locker room, we want WINS, like to win football games.
Reply/Quote
The last time the Bengals were a good team was with 1:52 left in the game on the evening of January 9, 2016. That was the exact moment of the “AJ to AJ” touchdown — McCarron to Green — which put the Bengals up 16-15 over the Steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The last time the Bengals were a good team was with 1:52 left in the game on the evening of January 9, 2016.  That was the exact moment of the “AJ to AJ” touchdown — McCarron to Green — which put the Bengals up 16-15 over the Steelers.

Yeah, 22-46-2 since that game.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The last time the Bengals were a good team was with 1:52 left in the game on the evening of January 9, 2016.  That was the exact moment of the “AJ to AJ” touchdown — McCarron to Green — which put the Bengals up 16-15 over the Steelers.

Many knew at the conclusion that meltdown would be felt for generations. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The last time the Bengals were a good team was with 1:52 left in the game on the evening of January 9, 2016. That was the exact moment of the “AJ to AJ” touchdown — McCarron to Green — which put the Bengals up 16-15 over the Steelers.

Haven’t watched the product since, the following summer I donated all my gear and memorabilia
Reply/Quote
You can bet your last cent Bill Belichick is fuming and angry because the Patriots are 2-3. He probably even scowled at the dog, you know, the malamute or husky which was watching the computer during the Draft. He needs to prove he can win without Tom Brady and it’s not going too well so far.

I hate Belichick but I love his killer instinct and fire in the belly. He hates to lose. Tiger Woods was like that too and so was Wayne Gretzky. Belichick is going to have New England ready to go.

Such is not the same in Cincinnati. Our new quarterback needs to “cut his teeth.” Our coach has a “long term plan” to win. I don’t pay for “blockers.” Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, 22-46-2 since that game.  Mellow

Then add in the fact that like 5 of those 22 W's were against a Browns team that won like 5 games in three seasons and even more reality sets in.

It's just  Sick
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IMO, Paul Dehner pretty much sums it up:

'You have a team that hasn’t won a road game since Green caught a last-second pass from Andy Dalton in Atlanta in September 2018. They are going through a streak of futility in one-score games like the NFL has rarely seen in a century of football.

Being “this close” is as much this team’s defining trait as Burrow being their quarterback. At a certain point, progress gives way to the fact this is who you are.

You can’t keep talking about how a group needs to learn to win. It makes you wonder if they are being properly taught how to do so.

In a vacuum, those words make sense and there are enough positives from Sunday that you can construct a reality where the Bengals are building something sustainable.

But that’s not the reality. Not when those types of losses pile up and play out in the same unrequited fashion over and over again.'

Paul has always called it like it is, really respect him as a reporter.

In all honesty, he is right. This team is what it is and is what it always has been.

I'll catch heat for this, but so be it. The Burrow pick is more of the same as it ever was. Burrow is Palmer. An extremely talented high level prospect that was brought to a shit team that thought... hey... look at this new toy, it'll sell tickets and fix everything. 

It hasn't worked here, before and won't now. We lack scouts. We lack a GM, we lack the level of commitment to winning that you see from teams like New England, New Orleans, Shittsburgh, etc, etc, 

The same old same old hasn't worked, and sadly old man Mikey isn't looking to change that story as long as the money keeps coming in.

Honestly, at this point I am just exhausted and apathetic to this team. All the yelling on a message board or on-line will change nothing. Hell, what was it two years ago a national broadcast labeled the wrong guy as Bengals' owner Mike Brown. That should have been a slap in the face wake up call to the front office, but... alas here we are again about to waste five plus years of the career of a kid who actually could be a pretty good QB with the right coaches and team around him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, 22-46-2 since that game.  Mellow

[Image: dry-heave.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The last time the Bengals were a good team was with 1:52 left in the game on the evening of January 9, 2016. That was the exact moment of the “AJ to AJ” touchdown — McCarron to Green — which put the Bengals up 16-15 over the Steelers.

What about the Burfict interception on the drive that followed that TD? I think it all fell apart after that play.
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:19 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: What about the Burfict interception on the drive that followed that TD? I think it all fell apart after that play.

That should be a legendary play in Bengals history. Probably the highlight of that game. Now it’s just forgotten. Greatness ran down that tunnel with Burfict after that play. Sadly, only one of them came back.
Reply/Quote
Good coaching adapts play calling to talent of players, bad coaching forces talent to adapt to play calling and schemes. This team has bad coaching up to this point.

I think they are closer this year compared to last year but the coaching staff still needs another year to purge the roster.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Dehner speaks truth, but of course Taylor is going to continue to speak empty platitudes. Taylor wants to keep his job for as long as possible. He will not be honest in his press conferences because that would require admitting many shortcoming and failures as a professional; which he logically will not do.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IMO, Paul Dehner pretty much sums it up:

The problem is there is STILL no accountability.   Tons of excuses:  young team, injuries, COVID offseason, blah, blah, blah...EVERY TEAM has those issues, but some teams demand excellence and preparation, while the Bengals just keep saying "we will get better".  When?  And what is your plan to get better?  

You praise your line of turds that is getting your young QB killed all offseason, arrogantly claiming that we have the people and our scheme can get it done.  All coaches are egomaniacs, but what are you basing YOUR ego on?  Not being dead last in every catagory?  Props to you.  

Each game, you can count on (at least) one group shitting the bed.  One week it is the offense.  One week it is the defense.  Special teams is usually consistently good, and frankly, Simmons should be our HC.  He is the ONLY coach that has demonstrated he can be successful with whatever players you give him.  
Reply/Quote